Why Extractors Only?

Tex .416

AH fanatic
Joined
Nov 12, 2023
Messages
822
Reaction score
2,480
Media
1
Looking at some double rifles and a modern, recent build Krieghoff in .470 caught my eye, but it is extractors only.

Why would someone order extractors only? What is the perceived advantage in the field hunting dangerous game?
 
Looking at some double rifles and a modern, recent build Krieghoff in .470 caught my eye, but it is extractors only.

Why would someone order extractors only? What is the perceived advantage in the field hunting dangerous game?

Two main benefits: For a heavy target shooter, you aren't denting very expensive brass after every pair of shots. For ambush shooting dangerous game such as tuskless amongst the herd, you can remain dead silent and potential avoid giving away your location while reloading.

Major detriment: Significant value difference versus ejectors.
 
Neither have I...
 
I cannot say much about double rifles.
But my shotgun has ejectors. I never use their function in the field. I cover shells by hand, so to get them in the hand when opening the gun, and put them in the pocket.
I would prefer extractors
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,256
Messages
1,569,915
Members
168,772
Latest member
RSCChristi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top