Why all the 6.5 Creedmoor Hate?

If she shot it with a Creedmoor, it can't be dead. This is some elaborate ruse! You trained that deer to lay down in front of your camera for pictures!

As per the original OP, Yes the hate is caused by overblown melodrama that follows the Creedmoor.

That...and the Art History major in the Banana Republic "distressed" jeans, at the range shooting his 14lb, muzzle braked, Bergara with no modicum of gun safety/firearms/real-world knowledge. He bluntly states that his rifle could bring down "any game in North America", but admits upon further questioning, that he has never been hunting a day in his life (it's too uncomfortable). He goes on to say that "if he did", that trusty rifle, with him at the wheel, and a ghillie suit over his Patagonia sweater, would "hammer" anything within 1,200 yards.

The above is a make-believe scenario... but it is assembled using very real data points.

That, and highly experienced, expert hunters, who can and DO bring down large animals with a 6.5 (insert cartridge here), telling brand new hunters that it is the end-all-be-all of rifles. Or going on and recommending a 6.5CM for a first-time Elk hunter from the Pennsylvania woods, headed to the wide-open mountains of Wyoming. Wouldn't wisdom indicate that they should start with something that has a bit more margin of error? new hunters, buck fever, and precise shot placement do not go hand-in-hand.

There are a lot of other reasons, but I digress. We don't hate it. We really don't like the tremendous display of ignorance that it, more-often-than-not, engenders.
Yup! We spend all our free time in Kansas training those mule deer;)

Seriously, I'm normally a fan of really nice Walnut married to high quality blued steel. Non of which that Creedmoor has. It is a Ruger Predator with the 2 stage trigger (that takes some getting used to but I have come to like that trigger). It is marred up stainless steel in a laminated stock. It wears a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 with a balistic turret and W4 reticle. It shoots between 1/4" and 1/2" depending on ammo. It serves as my truck gun, especially when I'm in Kansas. It is a perfectly capable deer cartridge, about as good as it gets for pronghorn, not terrible overkill on coyotes. Superbly accurate with great glass that seems to stay on zero in spite of bouncing around in my truck, often buried under luggage.

Add in that I currently have a shoulder issue going on, and Gina has permanently damaged shoulders. And this rifle has basically zero noticable recoil.

So all those reasons, plus my favorite 300 win mag was in the back of the safe when I was packing up to leave home and head to Kansas. And I'm going there to work and squeeze in some hunting so the gear I take with tends to get neglected and bounced around.

This was Gina's first deer. However she is an experienced shooter and hunter and I'd wager she is usually the best shot in whatever group she is hanging out with:) And she's been wacking varmints at home with that Creedmoor so is familiar with it.

So yea, other cartridges are more capable, but with a heavier rifle or more recoil. This happens to be my beater gun at the moment. And it has taken Springbuck at 524 yards, pronghorn at 442 yards, a trotting coyote at 350 yards, this mule deer at 338 yards, a couple whitetail and numerous other coyotes and misc vermin, some oddball sheep in Texas, and a few other critters in Africa. All with factory ammo.

I'm sure the same or similar and much better can be said of other cartridges. Buy this has dine the job also. And yes the yahoos get carried away thinking it is the hammer of Thor. It is not. That would be the 505 Gibbs loaded up to 2350 fps with 525 grain TSX's;) Which i love also for it's usefulness and accuracy.

Yup! We spend all our free time in Kansas training those mule deer;)

Seriously, I'm normally a fan of really nice Walnut married to high quality blued steel. Non of which that Creedmoor has. It is a Ruger Predator with the 2 stage trigger (that takes some getting used to but I have come to like that trigger). It is marred up stainless steel in a laminated stock. It wears a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 with a balistic turret and W4 reticle. It shoots between 1/4" and 1/2" depending on ammo. It serves as my truck gun, especially when I'm in Kansas. It is a perfectly capable deer cartridge, about as good as it gets for pronghorn, not terrible overkill on coyotes. Superbly accurate with great glass that seems to stay on zero in spite of bouncing around in my truck, often buried under luggage.

Add in that I currently have a shoulder issue going on, and Gina has permanently damaged shoulders. And this rifle has basically zero noticable recoil.

So all those reasons, plus my favorite 300 win mag was in the back of the safe when I was packing up to leave home and head to Kansas. And I'm going there to work and squeeze in some hunting so the gear I take with tends to get neglected and bounced around.

This was Gina's first deer. However she is an experienced shooter and hunter and I'd wager she is usually the best shot in whatever group she is hanging out with:) And she's been wacking varmints at home with that Creedmoor so is familiar with it.

So yea, other cartridges are more capable, but with a heavier rifle or more recoil. This happens to be my beater gun at the moment. And it has taken Springbuck at 524 yards, pronghorn at 442 yards, a trotting coyote at 350 yards, this mule deer at 338 yards, a couple whitetail and numerous other coyotes and misc vermin, some oddball sheep in Texas, and a few other critters in Africa. All with factory ammo.

I'm sure the same or similar and much better can be said of other cartridges. Buy this has dine the job also. And yes the yahoos get carried away thinking it is the hammer of Thor. It is not. That would be the 505 Gibbs loaded up to 2350 fps with 525 grain TSX's;) Which i love also for it's usefulness and accuracy.
I wasn't knocking you Bob, she obviously made an excellent shot! I loved my 6.5x55 and it is basically the Creedmoor's ballistic duplicate. It has the same capabilities as any 6.5 medium velocity cartridge. Kudos to your wife for hitting a nice buck at over 300 yards!

It does the same job that the .243s, 6mms, .257s, 6.5s and .270s have been doing for ages. It is partially just fun to make fun of, even though I know it is capable.

It is articles like this:
1671129515995.png

...that turn up by the dozens in a Google search.... Why did that even need to be addressed? To almost everyone on the AH forum, The answer would have been super obvious.... but it has been asked enough to actually prompt an article that the writer knew people would read. It is actually worthy of a good laugh.

I personally don't allow 6.5 CM in my deer camp. My reason, it is overused by many in the wrong hunting situations. I
also believe there are many better calibers to choice from to hunt with. Good hunting!

I wasn't knocking you Bob, she obviously made an excellent shot! I loved my 6.5x55 and it is basically the Creedmoor's ballistic duplicate. It has the same capabilities as any 6.5 medium velocity cartridge. Kudos to your wife for hitting a nice buck at over 300 yards!

It does the same job that the .243s, 6mms, .257s, 6.5s and .270s have been doing for ages. It is partially just fun to make fun of, even though I know it is capable.

View attachment 505756
...that turn up by the dozens in a Google search.... Why did that even need to be addressed? To almost everyone on the AH forum, The answer would have been super obvious.... but it has been asked enough to actually prompt an article that the writer knew people would read. It is actually worthy of a good laugh.
Chris I did not feel you were knocking me;) I love to pock fun to. And the die hard Creedmoor manbun crowd oh so deserves to be knocked around as much as possible.

Personally I like it for what it is, a very capable 6.5 caliber that has the inherent balistic advantages of that caliber. Packaged in a short action case with modern engineering. Readily available in a wide variety of rifles and inherently accurate in pretty much all of them in as wide a span of price points as you can imagine. And with as wide a selection of factory ammo available as nearly anything other than the venerable 30-06.

My bias is that it is much more capable than any 243, and it appears in factory ammo to surpass the 260 rem. As for calibers such as 270 win, I think that's in another class although I admit to considering the 6.5 Creedmoor to be capable of stepping into the arena with a 270 if one wants a short action and less recoil or just lighter/smaller rifle platform.

The only way I can see any sense in a 6.5 Creedmoor comparison to the 300 Win Mag is in punching paper. As hunting cartridges go, no... Stupid to even address them as comparable.

What is it my ex brother in law says about the 9mm Luger.... Good for Women, Children and Europeans? Well the Creedmoor is great for Women, Children and whatever makes up a Yuppy these days;) And it makes a useful truck gun for my needs:)

@Dukeisok
My dislike if the 6.5 Creedmoor stems from the fact of so much advertising raming it down our throat and praising its long range virtues. Some people believed all this hype and tried to use it at long range to take game. Sometimes it worked but a lot of the time it didn't.
Yes it is a great long range target cartridge but not a good long range game cartridge.
Like the 6.5x55 used within its capabilities it is a fine cartridge for game, BUT all the advertising bullshit tries to make it something it ain't. There's a stack of good 6.5s out there but the advertising is making it the top of the heap.
As a cartridge it runs rings around that other over advertised pos, the 243.
I'm proud of your son using the cartridge within both its limits and recognising his own limits. This is what separates hunters from shooters. He is a credit to your fine teaching. Well done to both of you.
Bob
6:5 bob has a nice ring don’t you think?

View attachment 505756

Well, there are also many articles and proponents saying .375H&H is King for DG compared to true big bores. One could extrapolate to say .375 is the 6.5 Creedmoore of DG calibers. ;) Almost, exact arguments of lower recoil, good for entry level hunters etc., etc.. Not to mention, saying in "expert hands" it is also good for all game if one picks their shots. :ROFLMAO:

I have a pre 64 257 bob and no it doesn’t go out in the rain.
@Flewis
It deserves to hunt. Get some Gilleys gun wax and give the entire rifle, metal as well. Water will just run off then you can take it in the rain and snow without worrying.
Bob

Well, there are also many articles and proponents saying .375H&H is King for DG compared to true big bores. One could extrapolate to say .375 is the 6.5 Creedmoore of DG calibers. ;) Almost, exact arguments of lower recoil, good for entry level hunters etc., etc.. Not to mention, saying in "expert hands" it is also good for all game if one picks their shots. :ROFLMAO:

^^^^^^^^^^^
This all day.

DB

^^^^^^^^^^^
This all day.

DB

But the .375H&H is a classic cartridge.

Yes the Creedmoor is here to stay, but will it ever be the revered .270, the classic .375, the iconic .222 , the common as muck .308 , Grandpa's ole ought six?

No, it will just become the norm as us old dinosaurs die out and the next generation will just accept it's what they learned to shoot with .

Not all 6.5 Creedmoor are wrong but I've read some wild claims.

But the .375H&H is a classic cartridge.

Yes the Creedmoor is here to stay, but will it ever be the revered .270, the classic .375, the iconic .222 , the common as muck .308 , Grandpa's ole ought six?

No, it will just become the norm as us old dinosaurs die out and the next generation will just accept it's what they learned to shoot with .

Not all 6.5 Creedmoor are wrong but I've read some wild claims.
Wait the 7prc is the best ever, just read the gun writers. Don’t need rangefinder just a compass.

Wait the 7prc is the best ever, just read the gun writers. Don’t need rangefinder just a compass.

Wow, Technology is moving so fast.
I like my 7mm cartridges too.

I really like the .280a.i , I'm not interested in taking game any further than I want to retrieve it.

I have a .300wm but I guess that should be replaced with a .300prc now.

Wow, Technology is moving so fast.
I like my 7mm cartridges too.

I really like the .280a.i , I'm not interested in taking game any further than I want to retrieve it.

I have a .300wm but I guess that should be replaced with a .300prc now.
These are all fast twist barrels rifles made for heavy bullets. No help for hunting at less than 6 or 7 hundred yards.

@Flewis
Don't need no new fangeled 7mm when you have a fast 25.
Mate 2 inches high @100 spot on @300 and 8 inches low @400.
Laser flat no compass needed.
If needed attach a scapel blade to the projectile and the game will be skun as well buy the time you get to it.
Bob

@Flewis
Don't need no new fangeled 7mm when you have a fast 25.
Mate 2 inches high @100 spot on @300 and 8 inches low @400.
Laser flat no compass needed.
If needed attach a scapel blade to the projectile and the game will be skun as well buy the time you get to it.
Bob
Hell Bob is that all it can do is skin it? Check this out;)
Well, the 6.5 Creedmoor does it again! All I had to do was shoot the turkey, and the bullet did the rest. It cooked the bird, fixed the sides, set the table arrangement, and even cleaned the dishes. I guess the rumors of this cartridge's superiority to all others are true. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! ;-)

View attachment 502105

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you