Why all the 6.5 Creedmoor Hate?

C4E74231-5D2C-47FE-97A7-3BF530F2F7FF.jpeg

I would also imagine the mild recoil for especially new shooters/hunters might have something to do with it? I don't know as I've never shot a Creedmoor.
@CoElkHunter

I would tend to agree with the mild recoil statement you made! The recoil is a non-issue for me. My shoulders are shot and I have fun shooting the Creedmoor! @ActionBob has one and we refer to it as the “truck gun” and I killed my first mule deer with the ugly thing! (And it is ugly IMO)
I like to hunt, but I love to shoot! I especially enjoy long range shooting. I only compete with myself but I thoroughly enjoy just shooting! This gun is a lot of fun for me. I am looking forward to life settling down so my sweetie and I can go have some fun shooting!
Question for everyone though: my hair is so long I can almost sit on it. Should I be wearing it in a bun when shooting the CM? :unsure: :E Rofl:

Hornady was well aware of the creedmoor manbun cult back in 2019 they released the 7.6 creedmoor as a joke, sad thing is it took a few weeks for the dummies to realize, for the final time some went back to there cm can do better then anything out there and it was hilarious.

https://bulletin.**NOT**PERMITTED**...or-best-30-cal-cartridge-ever/comment-page-1/

I can't seem to post the correct link, just type in 7.6cm in the googles for the page.

Dad started me on a 30-06 in 1964. I still hunt with that rifle almost exclusively. If it's not broke, I don't see any reason to try fixing it. Anyway, I'm not much into following trends. The current pirate fashion (shaved heads or man buns + goatee + tattoos + rings and things in ears, lips, nostrils, etc) doesn't turn my crank ... at all. Pointy shoes and yoga pants look fine on some people (elves) but not me. I guess for rifles, like everything else, I prefer to act/look my age. Generally I hate stereotypes but I despise being a fakey slave to fashion even more.

@CoElkHunter

I would tend to agree with the mild recoil statement you made! The recoil is a non-issue for me. My shoulders are shot and I have fun shooting the Creedmoor! @ActionBob has one and we refer to it as the “truck gun” and I killed my first mule deer with the ugly thing! (And it is ugly IMO)
I like to hunt, but I love to shoot! I especially enjoy long range shooting. I only compete with myself but I thoroughly enjoy just shooting! This gun is a lot of fun for me. I am looking forward to life settling down so my sweetie and I can go have some fun shooting!
Question for everyone though: my hair is so long I can almost sit on it. Should I be wearing it in a bun when shooting the CM? :unsure: :E Rofl:
No, the man bun term is a term coined to disrespect the 6.5 Creedmoor. Wear your hair long & enjoy. Hope you & Bob have a ball shooting.
I’m another who likes the Creedmoor, the name should give the haters a clue, but obviously doesn’t. The ctg was developed by Hornaday as a long range target ctg. & it excels there, that it bleeds over into a fine hunting ctg. is just icing on the cake. Haters don’t get it. Sadly, the mentality of running down one ctg. to push your favorite is alive and well.

Question for everyone though: my hair is so long I can almost sit on it. Should I be wearing it in a bun when shooting the CM? :unsure:
No Babydoll, the reference to the Creedmoor is Manbun.... You my dear are all Woman! So it doesn't apply, you should leave your beautiful long hair flow!

No, the man bun term is a term coined to disrespect the 6.5 Creedmoor.

A slight correction here.

The term is intended toward the fanboys (fan boizzzzz!) with Austin haircuts, beard oil, etc., that make kissie faces in the mirror for their snapchat in their spandex at the gym. All too often, they have manbuns.

More specifically, it's intended toward those types described above that made it into an internet sensation claiming the cartridte could do everything from taking a trophy elk at 1800m whilst skydiving to curing cancer to making women want you more.

Nothing wrong with the round itself or (exepcting those noted above) those that hunt with it.
I think there's probably a sweet spot between 7.62 and 5.56 that will show itself iteratively over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the world of long range cartridges the cm is at the bottom of the list but manbunns belive its the best.
Yea but they are comparing it to their former "big" cartridge... the 223 Remington.

The 6.5 Creedmoor seems to be here to stay.

What Gina and I love about it probably has as much to do with the equipment we have as the cartridge but it really does fit a niche for us. The rifle is stainless in a laminated stock, not a lightweight but not heavy either. It has a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 scope with Ballistic Turret and W4 reticle mounted. The combo with cheap Hornady ammo will shoot 1/4" MOA! It's a Ruger Hawkeye M77 Predator. This example is a very high quality gun. Not fine walnut and blued steel but it spends a lot of time in the back seat of the one ton pickup bouncing around or resting muzzle down on the floorboard of a side by side ATV.

It has enough power to take down whitetail and mule deer and I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a black bear with it or even a mountain lion. All of which would be the largest wild animals we will encounter on our properties. Yet the ammo is cheap and plentiful so we can use it on coyotes, ground hogs, skunks, armadillos, porcupine, etc. It reliability hits exactly where you aim it and does so without any noticeable recoil.

Could we get all of the above out of another caliber? Perhaps, but in a $700 CRF rifle right out of the box that stands up to weather and abuse and stays accurate with low cost ammo without needing to reload?

Yea but they are comparing it to their former "big" cartridge... the 223 Remington.

The 6.5 Creedmoor seems to be here to stay.

What Gina and I love about it probably has as much to do with the equipment we have as the cartridge but it really does fit a niche for us. The rifle is stainless in a laminated stock, not a lightweight but not heavy either. It has a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 scope with Ballistic Turret and W4 reticle mounted. The combo with cheap Hornady ammo will shoot 1/4" MOA! It's a Ruger Hawkeye M77 Predator. This example is a very high quality gun. Not fine walnut and blued steel but it spends a lot of time in the back seat of the one ton pickup bouncing around or resting muzzle down on the floorboard of a side by side ATV.

It has enough power to take down whitetail and mule deer and I wouldn't be afraid to shoot a black bear with it or even a mountain lion. All of which would be the largest wild animals we will encounter on our properties. Yet the ammo is cheap and plentiful so we can use it on coyotes, ground hogs, skunks, armadillos, porcupine, etc. It reliability hits exactly where you aim it and does so without any noticeable recoil.

Could we get all of the above out of another caliber? Perhaps, but in a $700 CRF rifle right out of the box that stands up to weather and abuse and stays accurate with low cost ammo without needing to reload?
Ya but you have rational thought and know it's uses and what it can't do. Manbunns don't think and repeat nonsense they hear from there own kind.

I came very close to buying a 6.5cm kimber and a m70 for the love of crf but would rather them be a swede or 260.

My one and only gripe with every new but does-nothing-new cartridge, including the 6.5 Creedmoor is that, (as Hunter-Habib and others have already said) —> now with manufacturing companies concentrating on their latest sales gimmick 6.5 Creedmoor caliber, ammunition for the 6.5x55 is rare to impossible to find.

Meanwhile, retail shelves are now festooned with multiple brands and projectile choices for the Creedmoor version.
Same thing happened with the .300 Winchester making the formerly well established and ballistic twin .300 H&H ammunition now rare.

Wake up people, they’re selling us something we already have.

Last edited:
I'm all for improving and optimizing a cartridge, theres a lot of benefits from having less case taper and a higher shoulder angle they out way the bad, I just don't like when they say it's way better then the old. I love the swede but it's limited in pressure like the 7x57,280,257,there's a bunch. So if we can get what these old rounds could do if not limited I'm all for that but you know for a fact that a 6.5 swede in a modern gun running the same psi as the creedmoor it will beat it in every way.

The fitting into a short action argument is about dead to, there really aren't many short action out anymore with a 2.800"mag box, rem arms maybe but there stupid for not updating the 700 like every clone out there.

But answer this: Why is the .300 Winchester Magnum such widely accepted by the "Grumpy old men" even though it offers no ballistic advantage (to my knowledge) over the original .300 Holland & Holland Magnum ?
Well, grumpy old men have been young at that time. :)

However I will add two factors i see as most influential:

The reasons to my understanding could be global distribution of 300 H&H ammunition compared to 300 win mag ammunition (1963). Even today. My first contact with 300 H&H was in 2018 during my second safari, using a camp gun in that caliber. But till today, I have never seen 300 HH ammunition in local gun shops on offer at my place. 300 win mag is widely available, in the same time.

In the sixties ammunition of British calibers was becoming scarse, while american industry was increasing the pace. Winchester was already global brand at that time, with wide overseas distribution.

There is also one more detail. 300 win mag, has overall lenght of 3.34, while 300 H&H has 3.6 inch
While the rifle of medium action lenght can still be modified to accept 300 HH, in the same time 300 win mag is designed exactly for that action lenght. Majority of rifle factories overwhelmingly took 300 win mag, as preferred caliber between the two, due to convenience of factory production.

Well, grumpy old men have been young at that time. :)

However I will add two factors i see as most influential:

The reasons to my understanding could be global distribution of 300 H&H ammunition compared to 300 win mag ammunition (1963). Even today. My first contact with 300 H&H was in 2018 during my second safari, using a camp gun in that caliber. But till today, I have never seen 300 HH ammunition in local gun shops on offer at my place. 300 win mag is widely available, in the same time.

In the sixties ammunition of British calibers was becoming scarse, while american industry was increasing the pace. Winchester was already global brand at that time, with wide overseas distribution.

There is also one more detail. 300 win mag, has overall lenght of 3.34, while 300 H&H has 3.6 inch
While the rifle of medium action lenght can still be modified to accept 300 HH, in the same time 300 win mag is designed exactly for that action lenght. Majority of rifle factories overwhelmingly took 300 win mag, as preferred caliber between the two, due to convenience of factory production.
Hah ! So you admit that it’s a marketing induced preference rather than any ballistic advantage.

By the way, in the 1960s-1980s… Winchester was loading ammunition for the .300 Holland & Holland Magnum with 180Gr & 220Gr Silver Tip soft points.

Hah ! So you admit that it’s a marketing induced preference rather than any ballistic advantage.
Absolutely! Plus factory production. Every factory makes 300 win mag rifle today, but not 300 HH rifle. Ammunition factories follow. Rifle action length dictates the popularity of caliber.

We live in the age of short and medium action rifles.

That is true, @mark-hunter . The 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't offer anything new to the table. And your own assessment about the "Grumpy old men" certainly holds a lot of weight. My father (for instance) is a die hard advocate of paper cased shotgun cartridges. He always thinks that they're far superior to plastic cased shotgun shells, no matter how much I've been trying to get him to use plastic shotgun shells over the years.

But answer this: Why is the .300 Winchester Magnum so widely accepted by the "Grumpy old men" even though it offers no ballistic advantage (to my knowledge) over the original .300 Holland & Holland Magnum ?
I think the simple reason is that the magnum length receiver needed for 300 H&H aren’t very common.

American rifle makers push for shorter cartridges so they can carry fewer receiver lengths and simplify production and reduce costs.

That was the primary reason the US military moved from the 30-06 to the 7.62x51. Shorter cartridges meant savings in rifles and brass while keeping most of the performance with lighter bullets.

I think the 6.5cm is a short/fat cartridge too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goforthebighorn

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you