Which is the best game meat?

Ostrich neckbone is one of my favorites. Seriously, no joke.

In North America moose is the favorite in our house. Our farm land whitetails are good too but must not be overcooked- off the grill @ 120-125 degrees internal temp and rest for 5-10 minutes or so. I most enjoyed zebra tenderloin while in Africa.

I have eaten much of what is hunted in North America, Europe and Africa. Eland would be my African favorite. However, the best game meat I have eaten by a wide margin is dall sheep. The joke in Alaska is that the only way you taste dall sheep is to hunt dall sheep. When you’ve hunted that hard and harvested something that tastes that good, you tend not to share!

I remember packing a ram ten miles back to our camp one night. We had packed in two potatoes, onions, oil and a fry pan in anticipation of success. That is one of the best meals I have ever eaten!

Impala liver is outstanding!

NA game in order Elk, caribou, whitetail, moose

Africa game. Zebra, eland, Hartebeest, Springbuk, ... buffalo, elephant.

Note I have not eaten some of the animals listed.

1. Zebra 2.nyala 3.warthog. Also tied into a great guinea fowl stew one night. Just wished I would have some Southern style cornbread to go with the meal!

Here in the US whitetail deer. Pulled barbequed beaver was pretty good. In Africa, eland, kudu, gemsbok. Not a big fan of wildebeest.

Among game animals in Bangladesh ... I personally consider the venison of cheetal deer , to be unrivalled in taste .
View attachment 351955

Among the game animals , which I used to hunt and eat in India ... I personally consider the venison of Chinkara to be the finest . Unfortunately , I have not eaten it ... In more than 50 years .
Better than hog deer?

Kangaroo, have you tried it?

Seriously I don’t eat much game meat but try it when offered. I have taken and butchered Fallow deer. Many don’t eat Feral Pig but some do.

I tried various Venison and a sausage in South Africa. I did not shoot Gemsbok but I think we had the meat one night and that was my favourite.
We tried other backstrap venison it was all good and part of the experience.
The Lamb roast on the first night was amazing so they ruined it for me none of the Venison went near it an Aussies like a roast.

No doubt the local stews and camp oven food at Pumba contained game, al nice but I was feeling off that day so I tried. Little of each.

I tried Buffalo in a restaurant once that was a little tough anyway. May as well try harvest my own.

@WAB I never understood hunting sheep as Australia graze a lot of sheep. I think the only time you might shoot them in the paddock is if they are rogue and have evaded muster for several years and maybe poor bloodline, cross bred or feral. It can happen on the big places or scrubby country.

Zebra, barely legal elk, any moose, currently cooking a young wild turkey (to perfection i might add). We rarely buy any meat from store. My wife and her family are barely English speaking Cajuns from atchafalaya swamp. Every mammal good if cooked right, unfortunately

Impala liver is outstanding!
I don't do organs either side of the Atlantic. :Sorry: :Stop: :Vomit:

The cook truly makes a difference, but forced to make a choice, I would pick Oryx, Reedbuck, and Eland as my favorites. If you hunt Namibia, oryx is pretty much the most common game animal served, and in Mozambique it would be reedbuck. I have tried buffalo several times and am not impressed. Go shoot a 14 year old angus bull in the back pasture, gut him, drag him home and cook him. The results will not typically be cordon bleu.

I have eaten whitetail my entire life, and I become more convinced every year that it is one of the strongest least appetizing game animals on the planet.

Zebra, barely legal elk, any moose, currently cooking a young wild turkey (to perfection i might add). We rarely buy any meat from store. My wife and her family are barely English speaking Cajuns from atchafalaya swamp. Every mammal good if cooked right, unfortunately
That is true - I am a native South Louisianian (everyone north of I-10 is some sort of Yankee), and we can cook almost anything (though I think even your bride would be challenged with an old bull cape buffalo).

Moose, elk, pronghorn isn’t bad. Mountain mule deer are too gamey, but Colorado Eastern plains deer and Kansas deer are excellent. I’m surprised no African hunters here have mentioned crocodile or hippo? American alligator is very good. I’m sure the vegetarian hippo might taste good?

That is true - I am a native South Louisianian (everyone north of I-10 is some sort of Yankee), and we can cook almost anything (though I think even your bride would be challenged with an old bull cape buffalo).
Raccoon, possum, scrub bull, wild hogs?

Mr redleg with my side gig as a African taxidermist I've had some interesting conversations with my better half, we cooked a 20 qt pot of gar gravy, fried catfish last Saturday for our friends here. I can only hope distinguished individuals like yourself and Mr peacock come to visit so opinions can be made. Btw anyone welcome from this great site

Eland and kudu in Africa. But if I think about the best of the world, then, by far, agouti paca.

Kangaroo, have you tried it?

Seriously I don’t eat much game meat but try it when offered. I have taken and butchered Fallow deer. Many don’t eat Feral Pig but some do.

I tried various Venison and a sausage in South Africa. I did not shoot Gemsbok but I think we had the meat one night and that was my favourite.
We tried other backstrap venison it was all good and part of the experience.
The Lamb roast on the first night was amazing so they ruined it for me none of the Venison went near it an Aussies like a roast.

No doubt the local stews and camp oven food at Pumba contained game, al nice but I was feeling off that day so I tried. Little of each.

I tried Buffalo in a restaurant once that was a little tough anyway. May as well try harvest my own.

@WAB I never understood hunting sheep as Australia graze a lot of sheep. I think the only time you might shoot them in the paddock is if they are rogue and have evaded muster for several years and maybe poor bloodline, cross bred or feral. It can happen on the big places or scrubby country.
Camel, donkey?

No complaints about anything in Africa I've had but one of my favorites would be zebra. Aside from a steak I suggest a ZLT at least once.

In the states my favorite was a mouflon I took in Texas. It beat out a Dall sheep the following year in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross