Which ammo would you recommend

A Frame and Accubond are virtually the same in many respects. You will do well with either. I personally shoot 180 g Barnes TTSX in my .300 with good results. You are on the right track!
Have a great safari.
Philip

Please explain this! I don’t feel like there are many similarities between the A-frame and accubond.

Please explain this! I don’t feel like there are many similarities between the A-frame and accubond.
They're both premium, bonded bullets. NAB gets a slight nod for BC, but weight retention/penetration is stellar for both.

You, and the animals, aren't going to know the difference.

I would probably use the aframes, but if a 300wm using a bonded bullet isn't good enough, I give up, I will just bow hunt from now on.

If you're equally confident with both, then toss a coin.

^ this ^

for the animals you have on the menu... if both are shooting with equal accuracy from your rifle.. just flip a coin.. either will MORE THAN ADEQUATELY accomplish the mission at any reasonable range you might be shooting at..

OP here.

Thanks for all the opinions and ideas everyone. The main reason I shoot a .300 Win Mag is so I can use heavier bullets with the same trajectory as a non-magnum .30 caliber rifle.

When I posted this I thought it was a silly question. Kind of like "what's better for dinner, a Bone in Ribeye or King sized Prime Rib".

I plan on loading it with A Frames for the hunt. I will have some Accubonds in another pocket and if an opportunity at an Impala arrives and I have time, I'll slip one in the chamber. I may take some other animals that aren't on my list, if so they'd likely be smaller antelope and I'll use Accubonds. My rifle shoots them very accurately and I'd really like to try them on an animal in Africa. I sight in right on at 200 yards, both rounds shoot into the same group at that range. Can't tell the difference. At 300 yards the Accubonds end up about 6" low and the A Frames about 8" low. Not enough to think about. I don't like to shoot at unwounded animals beyond 300 yards. I have, but I don't like to.

My PH recommended 180 grain Noslers as a minimum for weight and quality.

I've always shot factory rounds and they're getting more difficult to find. I know there are a lot of great bullets out there but its getting harder for me to find what I like in factory loads. Such as the Remington Safari Grade with 200 grain A Frames. I recently retired and may need to take up hand loading.

Thanks everyone, I'll keep you posted. I leave March 9th.

Swift AFrames, no doubt !

I know I'm splitting hairs here, but I would like your opinion.

I'm heading on my first trip to Africa next month. I shoot factory loads in a .300 Win. Mag. I shoot a lot and enjoy seeing how each load performs in my rifle (also stock).

I have a bunch of factory ammo and have narrowed it down to Remington Safari Grade with 200 grain Swift A Frames and Federal Premiums with 180 Accu Bonds. My rifle likes both of them and lucky for me it puts them in the same group.

I also have a bunch of Federal Premium rounds in 180 grain Nosler Partitions. My rifle doesn't like them and they have a different point of impact than the rounds mentioned above. I'm not bringing them.

On the menu is Zebra, Kudu, Gemsbok and Impala. (plus other items on the menu a la cart)

I've shot a few elk with the Remington Safari Grade 200 A Frames. Complete pass throughs every time. Not a lot of internal damage, just a dead elk in a few yards. No drop in the tracks kills, just a hole in the lungs.

I haven't shot anything with the Accubonds, but I've heard good reports.

I like my rifle very much and am comfortable with the accuracy with each round. Especially since it groups each in the same MOA.

My question to everyone with experience with these animals is this. Which round would you choose for each animal. I'm thinking heavy bullets for the toughest (200 grain A frames). But, I really want to use the 180 Accu Bonds on something.

Again, it probably doesn't make a bit of difference, but I think about stuff like this and would appreciate any input from your experience.

Thanks all.

a-frame is the ultimate. You won't find a bullet that will make a bigger hole as it dumps all its energy into large plains game as the A-Frame. The only thing that comes close is a Barnes but if their petals deform or break off, you have less certainty. An a-frame holds its shape and retains over 95% every time.

They are not even close to the same performance on heavier game, A-FRAME, would be my choice.

They're both premium, bonded bullets. NAB gets a slight nod for BC, but weight retention/penetration is stellar for both.

Weight retention for A-Frames are far better than accubonds. If I was looking for a BC closer to accubonds with better weight retention look at the trophy bonded tip.

Im saying the accubonds for distance so they have time to slow down a little and perform well; BC does not really come into hunting distances.

I’ve had excellent luck with Nosler Partition 200Gr factory loads on plains game out of a .300 Winchester Magnum.

But

The Remington 200Gr Swift A Frame factory loads are mighty good too.

They are both bonded bullets of similar structure and perform about the same. Many say they Are both very accurate in most guns as well. Now one may be more accurate than another in your rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.