Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, DU, NRA
Hunted
US, Canada, South Africa
I know I'm splitting hairs here, but I would like your opinion.

I'm heading on my first trip to Africa next month. I shoot factory loads in a .300 Win. Mag. I shoot a lot and enjoy seeing how each load performs in my rifle (also stock).

I have a bunch of factory ammo and have narrowed it down to Remington Safari Grade with 200 grain Swift A Frames and Federal Premiums with 180 Accu Bonds. My rifle likes both of them and lucky for me it puts them in the same group.

I also have a bunch of Federal Premium rounds in 180 grain Nosler Partitions. My rifle doesn't like them and they have a different point of impact than the rounds mentioned above. I'm not bringing them.

On the menu is Zebra, Kudu, Gemsbok and Impala. (plus other items on the menu a la cart)

I've shot a few elk with the Remington Safari Grade 200 A Frames. Complete pass throughs every time. Not a lot of internal damage, just a dead elk in a few yards. No drop in the tracks kills, just a hole in the lungs.

I haven't shot anything with the Accubonds, but I've heard good reports.

I like my rifle very much and am comfortable with the accuracy with each round. Especially since it groups each in the same MOA.

My question to everyone with experience with these animals is this. Which round would you choose for each animal. I'm thinking heavy bullets for the toughest (200 grain A frames). But, I really want to use the 180 Accu Bonds on something.

Again, it probably doesn't make a bit of difference, but I think about stuff like this and would appreciate any input from your experience.

Thanks all.

The 200 gr A-Frames all the way in the 300 WM, IMO.

The 180 gr Partitions one of our hunters used in a 300 WM did not hold together very well - based on one bullet recovered - plus more follow up shots than one would expect. Seems I've read that ABs are supposed to perform similar to NPts. I suspect the velocity of his 300 WM, along with the distances involved was the issue.

I used a 30-06 with 180 A-F reloads, btw. Huge related thread below including a few of mine. (Post 563).

I like A-Frames because they’ve always performed exactly as expected. As you said, dead in a few yards. That said, I plan on using Accubonds in my 300 H&H in SA in June. We shall see.

Swift A Frames, all the way.

My Montana elk guide loads his 7mm mag with Nosler Accubonds for taking out wolves and coyotes at long range (500-700 yds) because he likes the accuracy. However, he says the AB are terrible elk bullets.

First choice are the A-Frames.
Second choice would be the AccuBonds

Swift Aframe

Either will work very well, I'd side slightly with the A Frame overall. I would lean more towards the Accubond for the impala because the A Frame is not likely to expand much, if at all with it's light framed, acting more like a solid.

I’ve never regretted chambering an Aframe.

My last trip was Thompson’s gazelle and impala, to zebra and buffalo. All 300 grain Aframes, and all performed flawlessly. Keep things simple on a plains game safari; one rifle, one bullet. Less to worry about, and makes it easier to enjoy everything else.

I used 180gr TTSX in my .300WM for PG. With even a couple of less than perfect shots, the animals didn't go far. I'm sure Accubonds and Swift A Frames would be great too if you could find any factory ammo.

I have taken everything from Klipspringer to Eland with my 300 Win using 200gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws with excellent results. The 200gr Aframe would be what I would go to if I could not get more TBBCs.

Swift A Frames, all the way.

My Montana elk guide loads his 7mm mag with Nosler Accubonds for taking out wolves and coyotes at long range (500-700 yds) because he likes the accuracy. However, he says the AB are terrible elk bullets.
I would love to know why he feels the Accubonds are "terrible elk bullets"

What is his name? I would love call him and to hear the basis of this opinion.

Thanks

I have taken everything from Klipspringer to Eland with my 300 Win using 200gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws with excellent results. The 200gr Aframe would be what I would go to if I could not get more TBBCs.
I have killed a lot of stuff with the old school TBBCs in 180 Grain out of my .300 WBY
Not the most aerodynamic bullets out there but they are pretty damn flat at reasonable hunting distances and perform perfectly when they hit an animal.

300g A-Frame

5NwQ1PZ.jpg

zyJbAZc.jpg

I would use the Aframes for closer shots and know your bullet drop for both. If you’re hunting an open area or shooting across a canyon, the Accubond might come in to play.

Whatever you do, don’t sell that rifle if it shoots both the same at 100 yards. That’s hard to find. Also, sounds like your wife is a smart gal. I’m not a big fan of NPs either.

Depends where you are going in Africa.
If you are in thicker bush then load the A-Frames.

Some areas are nice and open and the 180gr Accubond will do.

I know I'm splitting hairs here, but I would like your opinion.

I'm heading on my first trip to Africa next month. I shoot factory loads in a .300 Win. Mag. I shoot a lot and enjoy seeing how each load performs in my rifle (also stock).

I have a bunch of factory ammo and have narrowed it down to Remington Safari Grade with 200 grain Swift A Frames and Federal Premiums with 180 Accu Bonds. My rifle likes both of them and lucky for me it puts them in the same group.

I also have a bunch of Federal Premium rounds in 180 grain Nosler Partitions. My rifle doesn't like them and they have a different point of impact than the rounds mentioned above. I'm not bringing them.

On the menu is Zebra, Kudu, Gemsbok and Impala. (plus other items on the menu a la cart)

I've shot a few elk with the Remington Safari Grade 200 A Frames. Complete pass throughs every time. Not a lot of internal damage, just a dead elk in a few yards. No drop in the tracks kills, just a hole in the lungs.

I haven't shot anything with the Accubonds, but I've heard good reports.

I like my rifle very much and am comfortable with the accuracy with each round. Especially since it groups each in the same MOA.

My question to everyone with experience with these animals is this. Which round would you choose for each animal. I'm thinking heavy bullets for the toughest (200 grain A frames). But, I really want to use the 180 Accu Bonds on something.

Again, it probably doesn't make a bit of difference, but I think about stuff like this and would appreciate any input from your experience.

Thanks all.
A Frame and Accubond are virtually the same in many respects. You will do well with either. I personally shoot 180 g Barnes TTSX in my .300 with good results. You are on the right track!
Have a great safari.
Philip

Assuming 2800 fps on the 200 gr A Frames, they give up very little ground WRT ballistic arc for 180 gr NAB at 3000.

With an appropriate zero, say 250 yards, NAB is about 3.5" flatter at 400 yards than SAF, and about 7.5" flatter at 500 yards. And at 500 yards for both, you're still aiming at air, not hair.

If you're equally confident with both, then toss a coin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!