Which .416 and why?

I'd go with a traditional safari rifle ...416 Rigby on a Magnum Mauser action. Or, if tradition is not important...... then a .416 Remington in a Blaser R8.

I am in the process of collecting the necessary resources and equipment for my first African hunting experience (1st of many I hope). After much thought, I believe for a dangerous game rifle, I will skip the 375 and go for a 416 (don't have the money for a double - will stick to bolt action). But which one? If anyone with experience would be gracious enough to comment on their preference and why that caliber over the others, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are my current choices:
416 Ruger
416 Rem Mag
416 Rigby
404 Jeffery (not a 416 but on my short list)

Thanks!:cool:

I’m biased by my sentiments about quality and doing things right. Why did the original cartridges exist and flourish? (Original means 375HH, 416 Rigby, .404 Jeffery)

Answer: because they worked so well and the rifles that fired them also worked so well in concert with them.

Question: What is the primary reason that 375 Ruger, 416 Remington, and other similar modern cartridges exist, apparently reinventing the wheel?

Answer: Finance and engineering departments wanted to figure out how to take shorter actions, the same actions they sell for deer rifles, and figure out how to make them shoot cartridges roughly the same as proven champions for more than a century. All it took was a lot of marketing work trying to persuade people to buy something inferior to the original in an action that was way cheaper to manufacture.

In conclusion: I vote for the real McCoy cartridges in a proper sized action for which they are designed to operate, preferably a controlled round feed. 375HH, 416 Rigby, 404 Jeffery, 500 Jeffery.

@rookhawk in the case of the 416 remmy, it was obviously based on their standard action which the Rigby wasn't and allowed a bunch of people, even if they ultimately didn't buy a Remington to get into something with similar ballistics. I also remember it igniting something of a resurgence for the Rigby so that isn't a bad thing.
Similar goes for the 375 Ruger but didn't have to ignite any sort of resurgence as the 375 H+H has been going gangbusters for years but it also can be used on a more standard (and probably cheaper) action. They don't go better just more available sort of

In 416 I have a model 70 Remington, CZ 550 Rigby and a Custom Weatherby. If I had to sell, the Rigby would be the first to go. Its just chunky compared to the Winchester. The Weatherby is a handful. The Remington will get you 2400 fps with a 400 gr bullet without being over pressure in a sleeker package. I live in Phoenix so testing in heat is no problem. You have to use the right powder. I run North Fork 370 gr at 2500. Nostalgia never killed anything but a wallet. Get what you like, they all work.

Same performance amongst all .416s:2450 fps, 400 gr. 2350 if 450. Exception: Wby punishers. My Chatfield-Taylor is amongst the most accurate rifles owned. You can even produce 2550 fps handloads but it too becomes punishment. Much factory ammo doesn't live up to the above, no matter what the pretty ad or box says.

I am very much on the history side and prefer traditional rounds.

However if you don't have that same way of looking at things and just want a 416. (416 taylor, ruger,remington, Rigby) get which ever one you can get the best deal on, that FITS you correctly and go hunt.

If it sais Mauser, H&H, Jeff or Rigby you are pretty mutch sorted.....

I wonder whether the OP ever went to Africa or what cartridge he decided to use back in 2009 after stating leaning towards .416 Ruger at post #27? ;)

I wonder whether the OP ever went to Africa or what cartridge he decided to use back in 2009 after stating leaning towards .416 Ruger at post #27? ;)
i guess recycling is good? lol

i guess recycling is good? lol
To be honest there are very few unique topics, but it is fun.
Top topics include, but not limited to:
  • .375 adequate for DG?
  • Buffalo hunt, where?
  • Packing list
  • Airline travel and travel agents
  • Blaser, the prodigal son of rifles... ;)
  • I am selling a rifle by @TOBY458
  • Should I use my gun or a camp gun?
  • What caliber for...? (answer usually .375 ;) )
  • Traveling with guns and regulations (answer use a service and/or travel agent)

To be honest there are very few unique topics, but it is fun.
Top topics include, but not limited to:
  • .375 adequate for DG?
  • Buffalo hunt, where?
  • Packing list
  • Airline travel and travel agents
  • Blaser, the prodigal son of rifles... ;)
  • I am selling a rifle by @TOBY458
  • Should I use my gun or a camp gun?
  • What caliber for...? (answer usually .375 ;) )
  • Traveling with guns and regulations (answer use a service and/or travel agent)
I'm genuinely surprised that you didn't mention "rat caliber" in any of the above statements. LOL!

I always say the Forums would shrink considerably IF people read (Kevin Robertson's) books! :p

I've been wanting to post a "typical" post, for fun. i.e. "Air or supplemental O2 on the Plane?" "I have 12 questions that I need all of you to answer for me. My corporate slavemaster keeps me too busy to research." "I really want to point, shoot and return like my wife wants me to." "7mm or .284??" "Color of TP in your tent camp?" It can go on and on...

Wow, the thread that never ends from 2009! I love it! Ha! Ha!

EF07F700-37AA-4279-98F2-5A47EBC7852A.jpeg
741CB3E9-CD3D-43F7-943D-8B4BECF5D35F.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the thread that never ends from 2009! I love it! Ha! Ha!
I resemble that! lol and have that entire Wildcats book too. With today's powders/primers it can do even more (using the Ramshot/TAC/AA/W powders you can get nearly 2,600 fps, but with the corresponding P it's punishing. Backed it off to 2,450 for Swifts and 2,460 for Barnes Solids, they print the same, accurate and deadly! :) :W Rocket Launcher:

Last edited:
There's a big book that compiled ALL of those wildcat success articles (i purchased it for $40 way back when from an old-timer.) I'll sell it on here for 6M Rand (or trade for a 7 mag) in the future...

Only the Admins know when marketing studies are underway...lol

There's a big book that compiled ALL of those wildcat success articles (i purchased it for $40 way back when from an old-timer.) I'll sell it on here for 6M Rand (or trade for a 7 mag) in the future...
6M Rand or 581,687,238.96 Iraqi Dinar?

3 trips ago to Zim, it was ~1USD=1,200,000 Zim. 'Saw an entire office full of cash at a citrus plantation office, said how envious I was of the owner's son's wealth and he said "If we're lucky, all of this could buy us 2 beers!" Sad but true. Now they're on USD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you