Where are the biggest Kudu currently being taken

PM sent before reading your post on the back surgery.

Just got back from SA Hunting with Adansonia safaris in limpopo . I got a respectable 54 1/2 but when I was there a guy named Drew got a 60 two days before with SS pro safaris both at the same property . nice bunch of people and great hunting

Thanks for the update. Limpopo seems to be coming up a lot. 60" is a monster!

Big Kudu

Ive shot a kudu but never a really big one. Is there a place known for real big Kudu consistently? I know most of the SA operations have a big one here and there but is there an area that your chances are above average...like going to masailand for big buffalo?

thanks for the advice.

IMG_7509.JPG

Proper kudu. With an mature eland cow for scale. Make no mistake this is a real monster. Live on my farm and another 3-4 years to grow.

There are great "areas" & there are great "ranches"...... having been a few times..... I highly recommend letting go of the 60" measurement & go for the best experience that fits you & your hunting style. That will be way better than something that is a few inches shorter on the wall.

Northern Limpopo Province South Africa. In particular certain areas bordering on the Tuli block/Mashatu game reserves of Botswana. The Elephant destroy the border fence and the big Kudu bulls are not far behind. These are free range kudu.

Certain areas in the Waterberg mountain range, Limpopo Province.

Certain areas in the Soutpansberg mountain range, Limpopo province.

Namibia.

Mozambique.

Matetsi, Zimbabwe.

Don't set your heart on a 60" kudu bull, you may be disappointed.

Depending on if you have hunted a Kudu before or not and which area you are hunting in you should not pass up on a good shaped old kudu bull as you may not get another. If you have hunted a kudu before and are looking to improve on it, then you could hold out. Many old bulls of 47-50" with the right shape are taken as trophies each year. 50-53" with the right shape are beautiful trophies, 54-56" are RW record class bulls and are unmistakably big. 56-59" are remarkable specimens which would be very hard to pass up as you may never see one again. 60" plus well this is the holy grail of kudu and truly a once in a lifetime trophy.

I would not set my heart on a 60" bull and hold out for one unless you can live with not shooting a kudu on your trip.

Irrespective of the horn size, young bulls should not be hunted.

Kudu are difficult to judge to the exact inch and no experienced PH will put his c@&k on a block and guarantee, that is a 56" or a 58" or a 60", he will most certainly make you understand that it is a big kudu.

The most important is to enjoy your hunt, work hard and if hunting the right areas you will be rewarded with a great trophy kudu bull irrespective of what the tape measure reads in the skinning shed.

Good question. I recall Chuck Adams (first person to take all of the Pope and Young animals and a whole lot more) talking about figuring out where he'd hunt and a lot was in the record books first. So, were I you with this interest I'd say first get a hold of all the record books- SCI, Rowland Ward and NAPHA, SAPHA records come to mind and check out what areas the top 50 or so records in the past decade. Pull out a map and put dots on it, I bet you find a pattern. I have hunted Namibia and love the place but I'm inclined to say it's going to be a tough one there after the past years of drought and rabies knocking down the kudu populations. It can happen, but the odds aren't good. You are correct, in general the East Cape is known for smaller kudu accordng to some authorities, though someone will assuredly prove me wrong. My bet would be the Limpopo area of RSA, Zimbabwe or Mozambique for good genetics. On a area that had good year round water and maybe some agriculture on the better environmental side. Then be prepared to put in some time.

Also check out the reviews here. I recall a few where people focused and did well with bigger kudu.

:A No1: I'd also say Waterburg Mnts in Limpopo seems to produce above average kudu year after year.

Mine in avatar was taken same place as dtarin09's above was killed- mine was 58" with busted tips from rolling down the hill. He is 60" now that he's mounted :sneaky:

I just returned from around Elisras is South Africa with Warthog Safaris. On my previous trip I got a 59 3/4 inch bull (see avatar). On this trip while not hunting for kudu, I saw probably 10-12 bigger than 54 inches--beyond that for accuracy I would have to ground check them...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois