Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, DSC, BASC, BDS
Hunted
USA: AL, CO, GA, FL, MT, SC, SD, TX, WI, WY, Limpopo SA, North West SA, Eastern Cape, England, Saskatchewan
Headed back to Cheetau Safaris and Limpopo on Sunday. Will be on Delta direct flight. With my father, younger son, and three buddies in tow this time, so very excited. I've been by myself the previous 4 trips to SA.

Question: I used a well known company to assist with pre-approved rifle permits. We got all our paperwork in well in advance of the 30 day window. Was informed today that we won't get our permits before we travel - they are expected Monday morning, and we arrive Monday evening. I'm very irritated. Please tell me this isn't going to be an issue when we check in at Hartsfield on Sunday!

I've used a service for pre-approved permits each time I've been to Africa. I've used different companies. I've always had my permits before we arrived at the airport to check in.

Argh!

You don't need any permit to check your rifles in with Delta in Atlanta or anywhere else in the US. Open the gun case at the ticket counter, sign the card, put it in the case and lock it up. Ammo is separate from the rifle, in another bag and you are good to go. I put a copy of my Form 4457 and passport photo page in my rifle case.

I would have extra copies of your SAPs forms, CBP Form 4457 and your passport photo page handy.

If your Delta flight has to divert to the Turks and Caicos, then you are in real trouble.

You don't need any permit to check your rifles in with Delta in Atlanta or anywhere else in the US. Open the gun case at the ticket counter, sign the card, put it in the case and lock it up. Ammo is separate from the rifle, in another bag and you are good to go. I put a copy of my Form 4457 and passport photo page in my rifle case.

I would have extra copies of your SAPs forms, CBP Form 4457 and your passport photo page handy.

If your Delta flight has to divert to the Turks and Caicos, then you are in real trouble.
At my regional airport in Pensacola they asked to see my South African paperwork, luckily I had a copy that AIR2000 had emailed me but this only happened 1 time.

You probably have the SAPS form you filled out and sent to your company doing the permit process for you. Just carry a copy of the application with you and use it in case anyone asks. Doubt they will ask but if so the person in Pensacola isn’t going to know the difference between the application and approved permit anyway. Just tell them you don’t get the actual approved permit until you get to SA and go thru SAPS check in. You should be just fine as it sounds like the approved permit will be done and waiting when you arrive Monday evening. I just flew out yesterday and American didn’t ask for any of my SAPS paperwork

Follow-up. Easy check-in in ATL and permits were waiting on us when we arrived JNB. All went well and it was a great trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789bet188site

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25