What's in Doha?

Qatar airways offered free tours of Doha while on layover so you can see major sites in A/C tour bus with English speaking tour guide. Also Qatar airways offers layover hotel stay packages, so check in with the airline if you qualify for free or reduced hotel cost at 4-5 star hotel. They also have tours you can book through them to see things if you have longer layover (desert 4x4 along ocean, Arabian stallion horseracing area...)/

Yes they do offer free tours but it is not that simple. I was there this summer. There is a small desk in the airport for sign ups. I went and the rep told me that the next one was sold out. I inquired about the following tour and was informed it was also sold out. So, I sat in the airport for 9 hours. Not much fun. On the return flight, I stopped by the hotel in the airport and asked about a reduced/free room since my connection was 12 hours later. I paid $240 U.S. for the room. Hardly a reduction and certainly not free. The business class seats and quality of service are certainly exemplary, but overall it is more trouble than it is worth.

For myself if I were going that route again you just as well stay there a full day and tour some. But that made the trip over 30 hr. Delta non stop is about 17 from Atlanta

Been their many times. First in the early eighties when it was little more than a sleepy port on the Persian Gulf. Later, in the mid-nineties, I was part of the negotiating team for the eventual CENTCOM regional headquarters at Doha Airbase. Back and forth a lot for a year. Last time, just before I retired from the corporate world - say four years ago. If it interests you, it is a wonderful place to buy a hand-knotted Persian rug. You have to be committed to a bit of serious negotiation, but you can save half the cost of a similar rug in the States. Gold jewelry is all at least 18 c (14 c is looked at as costume jewelry) and is sold by weight - regardless of design (obviously a honking gem stone will change the math). But for a pure gold bracelet or necklace, you will save a bundle over a Stateside jewelry store. Not a lot of tourist things to do - and nothing I would consider doing outside during the summer months.

How comfortable is the airport just for sitting in chair and sleeping with minimal disturbance?

It and Dubai are large - even lavish by Western standards. They are over-built compared to Atlanta, Frankfurt, Charles de Gaule, etc. Even though they see a lot of traffic, one doesn't have that sense of being in the crush of humanity of a typical Western hub. Easy to find a quiet seat.

Thanks @Red Leg , I think I would just find a nice seat and rest my eyes in the airport. I have been able to nap comfortably at Dulles and Atlanta.

This is excellent information!

Thanks @Red Leg , I think I would just find a nice seat and rest my eyes in the airport. I have been able to nap comfortably at Dulles and Atlanta.

This is excellent information!

Yes Redleg, thank you for sharing your knowledge on the airport. Makes planning that much easier.

I will be going thru Doha (with my wife) for a hunt in Namibia in April 2018. It's looking like we will be there 2 days and 3 nights, so my question is: What is there to do in Doha for 2 days?
My husband, Joe, and I had a stop over in Doha in August on our way to Tanzania this year. The MOI called Joe back to their office and told him Qatar airline didn't fill out his ammo form properly. They conficatated his two boxes of 375 ammo. Qatar airline representative kept apologizing telling us it was there fault.meanwhile we missed our flight to Tanzania so they put us in a hotel for the night. It was over 104 degrees outside. Nice hotel but food was bad. We never got his ammo back, so basically the police just stole it. I would not recommend any Hunter to fly through Doha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarolHagen

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.