Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA, New Zealand, Namibia, Spain
I will be going thru Doha (with my wife) for a hunt in Namibia in April 2018. It's looking like we will be there 2 days and 3 nights, so my question is: What is there to do in Doha for 2 days?

I was there coming and going from RSA. Everything there is very new and modern. Your may be better off being there four a few days so you can relax and experience some Arab culture.

Never even considered Doha.
I googled: "doha tourism"
Sure looks like there are some interesting things to do. Have fun and let us know what you went and saw.

Ok u got me. Where is Doha?

Doha is capital of Qatar.
A small country in Persian Gulf.
Qatar airways has good prices on tickets, at least for European flights to Africa. And then frequently Doha is connecting airport.

The Marriott in Doha is nice if you're looking for a hotel. It has a nice lobby, several nice restaurants, a decent sports bar, etc..

I will be flying through Doha to RSA in June. Their business class flight from the US are a great value right now. Seem to be gun friendly, with some extra paperwork but would rather know the plan up front than some other airlines that are always changing up the game. Airport looks very modern, and have heard great things about the business class lounge. Will be interested in this thread and will include experience in my hunt report next year.

Been working in KSA for the last seven years, don't get your hopes up unless you like to shop in expensive malls. Try a dune blasting/desert safari if one is available. The humidity in the Middle East can be excruciating in July and August with heat indexes up to 160 F, have fun!

Tell us your route of travel please. Is there a direct Windhoek flight from Quatar?
I've been told Qatar Airways is good and is not a problem with guns.
Philip

Is there a direct Windhoek flight from Quatar?
I've been told Qatar Airways is good and is not a problem with guns.
Philip
Hello Philip, there is a direct flight from Qatar to Windhoek. My flight schedule is DFW-DOH-WDH, but there is a 9 hour layover in Doha (both directions) that needs to be considered.

I'm not sure about taking firearms through Qatar, but I do remember an AH member having an issue a few months back. If I remember correctly, Qatar Air would not allow him to check his guns in Windhoek for the flight home and he had to leave them there. I'm not sure if he was able to get it straightened out or not.

Hello Philip, there is a direct flight from Qatar to Windhoek. My flight schedule is DFW-DOH-WDH, but there is a 9 hour layover in Doha (both directions) that needs to be considered.

I'm not sure about taking firearms through Qatar, but I do remember an AH member having an issue a few months back. If I remember correctly, Qatar Air would not allow him to check his guns in Windhoek for the flight home and he had to leave them there. I'm not sure if he was able to get it straightened out or not.
All of those stories usually include a person buying their own tickets and not using a travel agent. But it would be good to know if people have had trouble. I am considering other routes of travel to WDH like his one due to the trouble and expense of going through RSA. The layover is not so bad when you can get a hotel room and rest and shower before the next leg of the flight. The prices are about half on quatar for a coach ticket compared to any other. I didn't know that! Wow!
Logistics!
Philip

Ive never flown with firearms into/out of Doha, but I've flown with Qatar Airways several times. My experiences with them have always been pretty positive.

The only thing I dislike (which shouldnt be a problem with international flights) is that the terminal for regional flights and the main terminal for international flights are on opposite sides of the airfield.. The regional terminal is OK... but is significantly smaller than the main terminal, lacks amenities, etc.. and it has been a pretty big PIA a couple of times catching the shuttle to get over to the main terminal (long waits on the bus, typical middle east crowding of the doors, no formal lines, chaos, etc trying to get on the bus... and then its a pretty long ride on the over crowded bus from one terminal to the other)...

DFW-DOH-WDH should avoid the regional terminal all together.. I've only flown into the regional terminal when transiting between the UAE, KSA, or Kuwait and Doha.. Whenever I have flown straight from the US or Europe into Qatar, I have always landed at the main terminal.

I did the DFW-DOH-WDH route this summer on Qatar. I took my rifles and used Travel With Guns as a booking agent. The Qatar Airlines people could not have been any nicer. They went out of their way to get my guns checked in. On every leg, a rep would let me know my guns were already loaded on the plane. The business class seats/meals were very good. The 9 hour layover sucked. I wanted to do the city tour but it was sold out. On the way back, at WDH there was a long line to check in. A rep came and got me and my rifles, bypassed all of the lines and checked me in separately. Overall, the airline was great but I think the route sucks. The layovers each way were just too exhausting.

i have read that Qatar will give you a free hotel room in DOH with a layover over X amount of hours. Can someone confirm that?

They gave me one going but not on the return. Never used it. I figured by the time we got through customs bought the visa checked into room and then I was scared I would oversleep.

I did the DFW-DOH-WDH route this summer on Qatar. I took my rifles and used Travel With Guns as a booking agent. The Qatar Airlines people could not have been any nicer. They went out of their way to get my guns checked in. On every leg, a rep would let me know my guns were already loaded on the plane. The business class seats/meals were very good. The 9 hour layover sucked. I wanted to do the city tour but it was sold out. On the way back, at WDH there was a long line to check in. A rep came and got me and my rifles, bypassed all of the lines and checked me in separately. Overall, the airline was great but I think the route sucks. The layovers each way were just too exhausting.
I agree. Might as well fly Delta and get the misery over with.

They gave me one going but not on the return. Never used it. I figured by the time we got through customs bought the visa checked into room and then I was scared I would oversleep.
According to the website the airport hotel in inside security so no visa/customs needed. That may not be the freebie but looks like $250 for a nice room.
Philip

The one they offered me was downtown. There is one in airport.

I checked into the hotel inside the airport going home. Our flight was late and did not get into the room until 2 am. Wake up at 6 am for 8 am flight. $250 and I was pretty wiped out. Hotel is nice and the airport is awesome but I will repeat that the layovers suck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luchkabody

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!