What would you do with a 280...

clockwork_7mm_gator

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
... before you jumped up a caliber or two? My current deer-sized rifle is a 280 with 150 TTSX. I think that load holds up compared to an 06 with 168s or maybe even 180s. But I wonder how much of a difference you hit once the 06 gets to a 200 grain partition or TTSX or even a 225 partition?

Might see a little difference on larger game, but on deer or even elk, there wont be any real difference in killing power.
I dont know your loads but the .280 can be pretty impressive with top loads.

CEH and I may not always agree, but on this we do!
Picture of my guide with nice Colorado 6x6 and my Ruger 77 .338 WM. Great cartridge and great gun.
52048_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Never waste the opportunity to buy a new rifle.

With that being said, the .280 (with the right bullets) is fine for everything short of African Dangerous Game.

If I had the opportunity to hunt Kodiak brown bear, and only had a .280 with well constructed bullets, I'd jump on the float plane ASAP and not worry about it!

... before you jumped up a caliber or two? My current deer-sized rifle is a 280 with 150 TTSX. I think that load holds up compared to an 06 with 168s or maybe even 180s. But I wonder how much of a difference you hit once the 06 gets to a 200 grain partition or TTSX or even a 225 partition?
@clockwork_7mm_gator
If I was limited to one gun I have always said it would be the 280 or 280AI. It's a very underrated caliber. Ifn the 7x57 is good then the 280 has to be more gooderah.
Loaded properly it gives the 7mm rem mag a horrible shake up. A 7mm 160gn at 3,000fps and your set.
Bob

I would consider a .338WM if your going to use 225gr. and up bullets and hunt elk sized game? I just like the way it anchors them with a well placed shot.
@CoElkHunter
There you go again extolling the virtues of that silly 338. Get a Whelan mate.
HE was asking about a real cartridge in the 280 not the look at me buck, roar and boot you overgrown 243 in the 338. Give me the 280 over the 338 any day.
Bob

CEH and I may not always agree, but on this we do!
Picture of my guide with nice Colorado 6x6 and my Ruger 77 .338 WM. Great cartridge and great gun.
View attachment 440141
@crs
The 280 would have killed it ust as dead without all the noise and recoil to go with it
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I would consider a .338WM if your going to use 225gr. and up bullets and hunt elk sized game? I just like the way it anchors them with a well placed shot.
Roll those beautiful pet caliber commercials! Oh hey there CEH! You beat Bob! Congrats!
@clockwork_7mm_gator
If I was limited to one gun I have always said it would be the 280 or 280AI. It's a very underrated caliber. Ifn the 7x57 is good then the 280 has to be more gooderah.
Loaded properly it gives the 7mm rem mag a horrible shake up. A 7mm 160gn at 3,000fps and your set.
Bob
Really? No loyalty to the .35 WhAI?
@CoElkHunter
There you go again extolling the virtues of that silly 338. Get a Whelan mate.
HE was asking about a real cartridge in the 280 not the look at me buck, roar and boot you overgrown 243 in the 338. Give me the 280 over the 338 any day.
Bob
The Bundy is flowing strong down under. A .280 over a .338? Wow. There's no way I'd take that for a one gun, just not enough for things I might run into.

I think the OP might ought stick with his .280 and enjoy himself while availing himself of the high BC bullets they have in that 7mm caliber before stepping up. If I jumped up, it would be to a .338WM or a .375 H&H. There's just no need to half measure it with the '06 or turdy-phive at that point. Make a marked step up in the power spectrum.

Never waste the opportunity to buy a new rifle.

With that being said, the .280 (with the right bullets) is fine for everything short of African Dangerous Game.

If I had the opportunity to hunt Kodiak brown bear, and only had a .280 with well constructed bullets, I'd jump on the float plane ASAP and not worry about it!
If somebody paid for my Kodiak brown bear hunt, I’d swim to the float plane with a .35 Whelen, but WOULD worry about being killed by the bear I shot with it! Ha! Ha!

If somebody paid for my Kodiak brown bear hunt, I’d swim to the float plane with a .35 Whelen, but WOULD worry about being killed by the bear I shot with it! Ha! Ha!
And now the "plop" thickens...
I have a 7x64 (very similar to the 280 Rem) and my next biggest is the 9.3x62.

For me, the gap between 7mm and 30 cal is too small to justify a separate rifle
I agree with you there. Too much overlap.
@Forrest Halley I'm sure @Bob Nelson 35Whelen is far too abstemious for bundy....

No, wait, I've got that wrong.

I'm sure Bob is absolutely steaming from far too much Bundy...
His cup runneth over...his lips and gums...and maybe his chin.... :E Lol:

Ya and the 35-9.3 shoot about as flat as the 3006 at hunting ranges.
I shoot both 308 and 9.3x62. I didn't intend to test it like this. In fact, I had no intention of testing at all. I just noticed that comparable BC bullets between the 2 have very much the same arc. I'd expect 30-06 shooting 200 or 220 gr would be about the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onlinegambling-review

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you