Dave Zimmerman

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Kansas and Texas
As some of you know, im hunting with Numzaan in South Africa in March 2018 and as the dates get closer and closer, im doing more research and planning. I need to say thank you to all of you who have posted on their own threads or replied to my post...your input and advice has helped greatly.

As I plan for the trip, I do have some questions on what others who have traveled to South Africa and Johannesburg (also Qatar if anyone else has done this layover). What do you recommend bringing home as souvenirs and gifts? I've research this a bit on other sites, but wanted to get input from other members of this forum as yall have been there, hunted, and likely brought back gifts and things to help remember the trip outside of just the hunting and trophies.

Ive seen wine, wood carvings, crafts, and a few others are standard have to gets while in South Africa. What do you recommend to purchase as gifts for family and friends back in USA that can be brought back through the airlines, wont cost me as much as the trip itself (diamond jewelry!), or are things I could buy back here in the states.

Im also spending 10 hours or so in Qatar on layover, so if anyone has tips on what to grab while there..id appreciate that also!

I believe most gifts should be consumable so that the person who gets them isn't burdened by them.

I just bought a bunch of wine flavored gummies. Can't get them in the states, they travel well. They are inexpensive. I want the person to know I was thinking about him/her while I was gone; I don't want to create a feeling of obligation in the recipient.

Small items like you've mentioned. Easily packable in carry on or checked luggage. There are plenty of curio shops in Joburg Airport International Terminal, but talk to the outfitter when there. He probably has local places you can go that are better.

My outfitter took me to this place in Joburg on my trip in August. http://www.cambanos.com/ He had gotten some jewelry done up for his wife. It's a very, very impressive store.

My PH took us to a large curio shop one day when we were passing by. I bought wood hand carved jewelry box for my wife. My son bought a carved wood walking cane for his grandma and a carved horn bottle opener for his grandpa. It was all less than 200.00 total and they threw in a small bag of cool looking polished rocks, like for a fish aquarium. And they bubble wrapped each piece individually.I used my credit card for payment.
I packed it all in my guncase (Tuffpak) for the trip home. Except the bag of rocks I think I put n the bottom of my suitcase....

Zulu baskets, Zimbabwe rock cavings (you might ship those, kind of heavy), Zebra skin (its cheaper then you shooting one). Second to Cambanos in Jo'berg and he's a hunter too. There is a large shop in Cape Town in the V&A waterfront that has stuff all price ranges, the higher the floor in the store the greater the price. The first floor was cheap tourist stuff, some the upper floor could equal to the cost of your trip. Have fun.

there is a wide variety of gift and curio options available that span just about any budget...

something as simple as an elephant hair bracelet can cost you as little as $5.. or several hundred dollars if you want one with gold or silver accents..

things like wood carvings or little wicker baskets can be just a couple of bucks for something small and simple.. or up to hundreds of dollars for larger or more intricately detailed items...

there are some uniquely African liqueurs (amarula, etc) and wines if the person you are thinking of is a drinker that arent too expensive..

really its just up to you.. know how much money in your budget is set aside for "stuff" and how much space you have available in your bags.. and the options are pretty limitless..

We visited a smaller, but higher end curio shop in a town in Limpopo back in June, and then visited a larger, but a little lower cost place just outside of Joberg on our way to the airport when we were ready to go home and picked up some stuff for friends, family, and ourselves..

If you have 10 hours available and the money to spend, the gold souk in Doha has great deals on gold, silver, etc.. prices are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than what you would pay in the US for similar items..

Your outfitter will be able to take you to one of the markets. Pieter has taken me a couple of times to one that is near Rustenburg. The things in the airport are nice but expensive compared to stuff you can purchase in a curio market or along side the road. Stopped one time along the road coming back from Kruger area and found some cool stuff being sold by ladies for very reasonable prices. Heck half the fun is negotiating a price. Never pay what is asked up front.

As a professional jeweler for over 35 yrs I can tell you to use caution buying gemstones in Africa. One of my clients has been to Tanzania several times and was taken by his PH to a shop to buy loose Tanzanite. He paid a premium. Probably spent $50K. I could of saved him about 20% at the time. Maybe a little more.... Diamonds are realistically not any cheaper than at home. Plus if not represented correctly they can be returned when bought in the USA.... Little hard to get the refund from Africa.
Items in gold or silver where there is a significant amount of handwork involved are often a good buy. Labor is cheaper there. Just remember the precious metal content may not be what they claim...... We have laws about that and their is some enforcement. In Africa not so much.
When I was in Kyrgyzstan a few years ago I had an extra day to shop in Biskek, the capitol. (Waiting for my rifle) I looked at perhaps 30 rubies. All were lead GLASS FILLED. Stuff that wholesaled for less than $15/ct. All offered for MUCH more. Some in seemingly antique pieces. NONE of it was disclosed as being a composite stone. Scams like that are rampant worldwide. In the US we have some protections. In RSA not so much. Some may be very honest and have a great deal for you. Tourist spots not so likely. If you can't tell then why take the chance?
I found some of the wood carvings to make great gifts. I also found candy very different from what is found in the USA for some of my grandkids. Always a hit. Enjoy your trip.
Bruce

Small items like you've mentioned. Easily packable in carry on or checked luggage. There are plenty of curio shops in Joburg Airport International Terminal, but talk to the outfitter when there. He probably has local places you can go that are better.

My outfitter took me to this place in Joburg on my trip in August. http://www.cambanos.com/ He had gotten some jewelry done up for his wife. It's a very, very impressive store.
i just got back from jo'burg and my outfitter also took me to CAMBANOS .
THERE ARE 100'S OF GREAT GIFTS THERE FOR FAMILY AND FRIENDS AS WELL AS ONE OF A KIND JEWELRY FOR THE WIFE

Good question. If you can get to an authentic market then you should buy a few things because it’s so cheap. If you are like me and lately just going straight to a remote camp then straight home then you are stuck buying something in JNB. I’ve told my wife and kids ahead of time that it will not be special or sentimental buying in the airport so I’ve got out of buying some stuff lately!
Philip

I think the best thing I brought back from a hunt is a "Big 5" wood carving. I've actually brought back 4 or 5 of these in various sizes. I got these at Livingstone, Zambia, but they are available all over. I actually got the vendors email and he shipped the largest one, pictured below, to me in Lagos. He shipped it by DHL and it took all of 5 days.

upload_2017-10-10_19-30-14.png

Another item, something we got here locally in Lagos, Nigeria and something no home should be without, is a wood carved Giraffe toilet paper holder!

upload_2017-10-10_19-32-29.png

I think the best thing I brought back from a hunt is a "Big 5" wood carving. I've actually brought back 4 or 5 of these in various sizes. I got these at Livingstone, Zambia, but they are available all over. I actually got the vendors email and he shipped the largest one, pictured below, to me in Lagos. He shipped it by DHL and it took all of 5 days.

Would you share what the shipping costs with DHL were? I've been trying to figure out what it would cost to ship things like that home instead of trying to carry them. I found DHL website in Windhoek and guesses as to size and weight resulted in really big bucks ($600 USD) for shipping. I'm hoping my guesses were way off.

Check carefully before bringing liquids through the Middle East, I just flew through Dubai and the ban that keeps you from carrying your iPad also has liquid restrictions. Luckily the Duty free at OR Tambo told me before I purchased the booze! You may still be able to put it in checked baggage but I'm not that good of a planner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.