What scope for 375 Model 70?

I have a Winchester model 70 Alaskan in 375, New Baco gun with Warne bases and Warne QD rings.

Want to hunt plains game and cow buffalo soon.

What scope would you guys recommend with a budget of 1500 USD?
Always lots of opinions I love it. As for me I always go bigger than smaller. Being able to see more detail through the scope for me is a plus and I feel that I am more confidentand accurate zoomed in. Also the amount of light entering the scope is better with a larger objective. Have fun shoot often.

I’d probably go with a Leupold VX-5 HD in 2-10 with Firedot reticle. I’ve got one on my .338 and like it so much I’m putting the same scope on my 416 Hoffman. I think it’d be an excellent choice for a 375.
I told a friend the same thing and he has the exact scope on his m70 375. On 2x with the fire dot it’s a great close range gun. The extra magnification is nice too. I’ve taken kudu, zebra, gemsbok, and hartebeest with 6x and several of those shots left me wanting for more magnification (beyond 200).

Need to know if I need 1-5 or 1-6 to maximize field of view for Buffalo.
Look at the specs of the scopes you're considering. Field of view is usually listed along with exit pupil. The larger the exit pupil the better as that is the parameter that allows fastest/easiest sight acquisition. I like scopes with a lot of eye relief. In the stress of the moment, some shooters crawl the stock and get bit :) Stay with better optics- Leupold or better. You don't need large objective diameter and over-cooked range of variable power scope. Even for PG out to the reasonable/practical range of the 375, 4x is usually plenty and IMO, much past 6x will likely be counter productive.

I have been talking about going to the Free State area as well as Limpopo River area.

Meopita 1.7X10, you are covered from 10 yards to 500 with room to spare. Falls in your budget with good glass. Swarovski 1.7X13.3 is what I would pick if money was no issue.

375H&H is 300yard capable why hold it back with a 5 or 6X scope? Even at 10 yards you will have no problem making the shot on 1.7 power.
What he said

I have also looked at this scope, however it looks like there is very little space for the front ring, especially on a magnum sized action.

I have that scope on a CZ 375 HH and have used it on Winchester 70 375HH and 416 Rem.
Also on Ruger 77 375 Ruger. You just have to find the right base and ring combo for it.

I have that scope on a CZ 375 HH and have used it on Winchester 70 375HH and 416 Rem.
Also on Ruger 77 375 Ruger. You just have to find the right base and ring combo for it.
I bought a Meopta 1.7-10x42 with the illuminated reticle.

Have it sighted in with some 270 grain Remington soft points that I found. May use these bullets for plains game.
I fired a 3 shot group that you can cover with a quarter.

Awaiting arrival of various 300 grain softs and solids for buffalo.

I topped my CZ 375 & 416 Rigby with a Trijicon 1-6 Accu point. Green triangle post reticle. No complaints.

I have a Leupold 3x9 on my 375 H&H. Enough power for longer shots but low enough on the other end for closer in targets.
I guess at the end of the day it depends on what your intended targets are going to be.

Need to know if I need 1-5 or 1-6 to maximize field of view for Buffalo.
The biggest difference in field of view will be if it has a 1 inch tube or 30mm. The 30mm tube will have a slightly better field of view at all magnifications. If you're in the jesse sorting out Mr. Bad I would have my scope at 1 or 2X at the most. Just me. I want the same sight picture I would have with irons when the moment comes.

I have a Winchester model 70 Alaskan in 375, New Baco gun with Warne bases and Warne QD rings.

Want to hunt plains game and cow buffalo soon.

What scope would you guys recommend with a budget of 1500 USD?
Personally, I got myself Leupold VX-5HD, but with your budget I would consider Swaro and Leica rifle scopes. Trijicon should be well fitting your budget too, but I don't have any personal experience with it, so can't really recommend 'cause of that.

I am having thr same dilemma. Pick is between the Leupold VX5 HD 1.5-5 or the 2-10. If my Model 70 ends up being the only rifle I can take to Africa...if I can take my Lott as well, then I'd guess the 2-10 would be better for longer shots.

A 1-4x variable is all you need for big game hunting, especially African big game. Anything greater than 4x is unnecessary. In fact a fixed 3x optic is almost ideal for 99.9% of this kind of hunting.

Hunting big game isn’t a 500+yds sniper competitor where tiny sub-MOA groups matter.

Heck, iron sights should get you righteous kills on big game all day out to 150-yds …. unless maybe you‘ve got eyesight worse than Mr. Magoo, in which case you should be playing solitaire checkers, not hunting with a firearm. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg