Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Buffalo are special, they are iconic. They are dangerous and they epitomise the real Africa. Their smell is unique and they look proper, as dangerous game should, with those menacingly curved horns that can toss you to the tree tops with ease and that boss that will crush you when you land. Yes, buff are worthy, there is no mock charge, just intent.
Hunting buff is an immersion, there is the choosing of the area, jesse, baobabs, his domain, not yours. There is practicing with your big double, the minute of saucer and the sticks that will steady your shaking hand and pounding heart. Charging targets at the range and realising that the stopping brain shot is only certain within ten feet.
One attires one's self for buff, it is hot, but that shirt needs to be thick enough to deny at least half of the tsetse's your blood. Courteneys made from the same hide as he wears, and a pouch with a handfull of shiny brass cartridges lined up anxious to be plucked out for duty.
All of this is buffalo hunting, and ten pages more. Give us your take, your nostril filling sniff of what drives you to pit yourself against Africa's most worthy.

I think my idea of perfection is much more simple. I want to hunt in a wild area where the buffalo has evaded predators and poachers its entire life. I’d like to get my buffalo at the end of a long tracking session behind experienced trackers and an experienced PH. Hopefully take an old buffalo with a grey face with one clean shot and find him dead 100 yards away.

I'm not sure what a "perfect" buffalo hunt might be, but I do know that buffalo hunting is addictive. I have taken three of these brutes and they are tough to get on the ground. I am always amazed at how much lead they can take from big bore rifles. You can hit them with what you think is a perfect shot--and it might be--but they will take off running and you are off in pursuit of a wounded buffalo. It's also amazing how an animal that big can hide so easily in the thick sickle bush only a few yards away.

Buffalo are special, they are iconic. They are dangerous and they epitomise the real Africa. Their smell is unique and they look proper, as dangerous game should, with those menacingly curved horns that can toss you to the tree tops with ease and that boss that will crush you when you land. Yes, buff are worthy, there is no mock charge, just intent.
Hunting buff is an immersion, there is the choosing of the area, jesse, baobabs, his domain, not yours. There is practicing with your big double, the minute of saucer and the sticks that will steady your shaking hand and pounding heart. Charging targets at the range and realising that the stopping brain shot is only certain within ten feet.
One attires one's self for buff, it is hot, but that shirt needs to be thick enough to deny at least half of the tsetse's your blood. Courteneys made from the same hide as he wears, and a pouch with a handfull of shiny brass cartridges lined up anxious to be plucked out for duty.
All of this is buffalo hunting, and ten pages more. Give us your take, your nostril filling sniff of what drives you to pit yourself against Africa's most worthy.
Kevin, first, I believe in your previous life you have been a poet and romantic!

I am yet to embark to my first buffalo hunt, and all my imagination can be summarized in your post.
I did a bit of reading of number of books on buffalo hunt, and this forum as well.
(7 years of reading, in fact)
And your post is how I imagine it.

I hope when the moment of truth comes, my aim will be true, and my rifle will launch the 300 grain bullet to home in to the proper place. Then, when the dust clears, we will see.

I think my idea of perfection is much more simple. I want to hunt in a wild area where the buffalo has evaded predators and poachers its entire life. I’d like to get my buffalo at the end of a long tracking session behind experienced trackers and an experienced PH. Hopefully take an old buffalo with a grey face with one clean shot and find him dead 100 yards away.
This pretty much sums it all up, all my hunting buddies in the USA describe this as perfect buff hunt

I believe that we experienced the perfect buffalo hunt with Len Taylor in Dande. Some highlights that come to mind:

The saw of a leopard or roar of a lion at night,
A light breakfast and coffee by the fire to start the day,
A brisk ride on the high seat as we Look to cut promising spoor,
Long walks and careful stalks on wary buffalo. Working around a few elephant just adds spice to the day.
Multiple blown stalks before the hunt is ultimately consummated.
Clean one shot kills on mature bulls.
Evening meals followed by reflection and storytelling around the fire.

Through it all, the smells of Africa, the beauty of the sunsets, and an overwhelming sense of adventure.

I believe that we experienced the perfect buffalo hunt with Len Taylor in Dande. Some highlights that come to mind:

Long walks and careful stalks on wary buffalo. Working around a few elephant just adds spice to the day.

Through it all, the smells of Africa, the beauty of the sunsets, and an overwhelming sense of adventure.
Well said, and to go to sleep the night your buff is in the salt is the most peaceful sleep there is.

Last year I experienced the perfect buffalo hunt in the Sengwa Research Area of Zimbabwe with my PH Gary Duckworth. It was cold at night, just right during the day. Saw a lot of buffalo, walked 7-10 miles a day, was really immersed "in it" so to speak. My wife was with me, it was her first time in Africa, that alone made it even more special. I had one of my favorite boom sticks with me, a GMA, 500 jeffery, and I was dead tired at the end of every day, which made the drinks even that much better. The food was spectacular the entire time, had camp to ourselves 8 out of the 12 days, and when the other guest came in, it was a family from Zim so they were very interesting and fun. But most importantly, there were 2 buffalo bulls, on the ground, at close range, big holes in em' with open sights, all without incident. It's unlikely that trip will ever be surpassed.

Tracking, stalking close in the thick mopane , crawling, scooting and inching forward with the herd only 20-30 yards away. Trying to spot the big old bull in the middle of a sea of green leaves and patches of shifting black. Hoping the breeze doesn’t shift - but it inevitably does and they bust you. Then all hell breaks loose - it is truly exhilarating and slightly terrifying in the middle of the chaos. Rinse, repeat and hope for a shot on the next stalk.
I too was amazed at how many well placed shots a buff can soak up.

I think what makes any hunt perfect, whether DG or PG, buff or a bullfrog.. is unpredictability...

I want each experience to be unique and different from anything I have experienced before..

While one buff hunt might have many of the same elements as another one.. I am perfectly happy if this particular buff takes me 3 days to track down and another full day of maneuvering to get a proper shot on.. and the next one we see within the first 2 hours of daylight and get a proper shot within 15 minutes..

Im perfectly happy if one buffalo hangs out in tall grass in an open field that is hundreds of acres wide.. Im equally happy if a buffalo is found on the edge of thick veld and a shot has to be made through a small window in the trees..

I will be just as excited to stalk in on a lone dagga boy that is wholly unaware of my presence.. as I will be to try to sneak inside 50 yards of a fully alert bachelor herd of bulls and try to pluck out the oldest member of the gang..

Just give me a quarry where I can apply fundamental skills and knowledge in an attempt to best him and put him in the salt... but dont let the scenario that plays out be "perfect" or predictable in any way.. perfection for me is variety.. If I am fortunate enough to hunt a hundred buff in my lifetime, what I want more than anything else is for each hunt to be different than the last.. and something to happen that causes me to have to be proactive, think, react, etc multiple times in order to be successful.. let every hunt be a unique experience... with some going "better" than others.. some being "easier" than others.. some being "less comfortable" than others, etc..

Each will be "perfect" in its own way...

You have got to write a book! You are so poetic and describe the incredible experience and the way it was for me X fortunately no tsetse flies

Nicely said!!!

Last year I experienced the perfect buffalo hunt in the Sengwa Research Area of Zimbabwe with my PH Gary Duckworth. It was cold at night, just right during the day. Saw a lot of buffalo, walked 7-10 miles a day, was really immersed "in it" so to speak. My wife was with me, it was her first time in Africa, that alone made it even more special. I had one of my favorite boom sticks with me, a GMA, 500 jeffery, and I was dead tired at the end of every day, which made the drinks even that much better. The food was spectacular the entire time, had camp to ourselves 8 out of the 12 days, and when the other guest came in, it was a family from Zim so they were very interesting and fun. But most importantly, there were 2 buffalo bulls, on the ground, at close range, big holes in em' with open sights, all without incident. It's unlikely that trip will ever be surpassed.
Nice!!!

What makes for a perfect buffalo hunt? Simple answer. Tracking dagga boy or boys in woodland habitat. Getting in a good heart/lung shot at maybe 40-60 yards with enough caliber and best bullet available. Then hope for best to avoid having to deal with a badly hit animal. The best outcome being a dead buffalo without any drama. Exciting charges and the need for dicey follow-ups are usually the results of a botched first shot or two. Not really my idea of a perfect buffalo hunt :)

As much as it is the hunt, it's the ones you are sharing it with that can make it special.

Being a father watching your son/daughter on their first DG hunt. Or being an experienced hunter and taking your father/mother on a hunt. It can be truly rewarding. Having 3 generations or more on the same hunt...priceless.

Let's not forget the PH. Some of them we have known so long they feel like family. Having them along with the entire hunting party is what makes it great.

In short...sharing the experience with others is what I believe can really elevate a hunt to the next level.

The lead tracker stiffens then points and fades back. “ He’s coming “, the PH hisses. This is the moment buffalo hunters have wondered how they will react. The moment of truth. Buffalo thrive all over Africa so usually there is a chance for this experience, hopefully not too often. I hunt them for decades and respect and can never get enough of this wonderful, worthy, brave, quarry.

The last hour before sunset on the last day of the hunt. The buff decides its had enough and now it's time to sort you out. 3 rounds properly placed at less than 25 yards. Loading him using torches for light. A good stiff drink now that he's in the salt. You've earned it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vietgen

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!