What makes a "good" Professional Hunter?

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
K-man 5 of my 7 hunts also were with Ph owner / outfitters and I think that is the best way to go also, but one of the other hunts was very good also, but there was room for improvement on the all.

gordon-kruger

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we must clear out one thing : Outfitter and PH is in many times two different persons and this make the PH not involved in the business at all. He will receive a couple of hundred bucks for his work from the outfitter or concession holder or farmer. Most of the PH is good guys that love them work, its the outfitters that can sometimes pressing the PH that more game must be taken from the clients side, I have always ignore this kind of unethical and rude behavior because many clients have sometimes save a life time to hunt in Africa, and this few hunting days must give him a perfect memory WITH OUT STRESS or to make the client shot at game that is not on his list !!!

Then we can turn around the subject and I can say that I rely don't like clients that come to a country and think that they can shoot everything and behave exactly how they want because they have a strong financial position !

So, I think that we (PH) meet more "a-holes" than clients meet unethical PH with the simple reason that the PH will be out if he is not serious, but as long a African DG hunt is a expensive vacation it will always attract some new rich folks with out hunting traditions or experience !

Gordon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlenArmstr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?