What makes a good hunting partner?

MS 9x56

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
What in your opinion makes good hunting partner? I have had dogs that were wonderful partners, mentors that made my hunt, relatives and friends. What does it take in your opinion to make a good hunting partner?

similar beliefs on hunting, willing to grind it out, helps in the camp. Pretty simple. Was on a hunt a long time ago, one guy brought a high school kid ( not his) getting him interested in hunting. His hunting partner invited me to hunt with him on a different hunt. Kid was not invited. I told the young man , no one really cares how great of a shot you are, or how many you have killed. They want someone who will work to help make the camp comfortable , do their part , good company etc.

To me it’s someone who shares the chores, can laugh when it’s craptastic, has your back when needed, will share that last gulp of water, one you can share that deep feeling of camaraderie with, who can just sit in silence with no awkwardness, or laugh at shared experience or story, who’s willing to go the extra mile even though your both bone tired from the day, respects the hunt and the animals being hunted, it’s hard to put into words really.

Someone who will never tell or take someone else to a public land hunting spot that was showed to them.

Someone that can keep up.

Someone who will either hunt hard until dark, or not be in the way or prohibit those in the party who want to.

Someone who does not point their muzzle at me, anyone else we are hunting with, my bird dogs, or my hounds.

Not always wanting to borrow my stuff- not always wanting to hunt my stands- not always wanting to go in my vehicle- willing to help track, recover and clean an animal.

A mutual love for the outdoors. Lots of patience. Willing to let someone else shoot. Immense respect for wildlife. One also has to enjoy the work after the shot.
And some types require that a person likes punishment.

Like minded, and like budget. Nothing worse than going with someone where your idea and theirs about what is expensive, or cheap, are different. A friend who will tell you their thoughts about something, and that is all it is. Their opinion. You can do the same, and then decide what works best for both of you, without either getting their panties in a wad because they didn’t get their way.

When actual hunting big game on foot, etc. I have always hunted alone- sans Africa or guided systems or where back-up advisable. I have gone on hunting trips with others quite a bit under normal circumstances but we always hunted alone. The only thing I've expected from others is reciprocity for helping haul game out of the field or trading off duties for vehicle shuttle drop off - pick up for walking a route and the like. And of course sharing chores/expenses. Most all this has been understood well before the trip and have limited hunting trips to those I know well or who are friends I trust. This has eliminated any potential for trouble from drinking or other nonsense.

Last edited:
Safe.
Good sense of humor.
The Golden Rule, as it relates to shared values, shared labor and team effort in the field and in camp.
Sometimes, we all may need personal time and space away from the group, an individual or activity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois