What is your favorite.416 bullet?

Discussion in '.375 & Up' started by postoak, Jun 4, 2019.

1. postoak

postoak BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA
    Hunted:
    U.S.A., R.S.A, Namibia
    Very good IvW. does "meplat" mean flat nose?

KMG Hunting Safaris likes this.

2. KMG Hunting Safaris

KMG Hunting Safaris AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC Life Member ; Eastern Cape Game Management Association ; PE Pistol and Rifle Club
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, New Zealand
  3. IvW

IvW AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BASA, CHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
    Correct and yes they stay in a straight line better and also penetrate better than round nose solids...they punch through heavy bone better and do not deflect as easily as round nosed designs. The meplat however needs to be the correct size for the bullet used. Bigger being better.

TOBY458 likes this.

4. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    Here's a pic of two slightly different flat point solids designed for deep, straight line penetration for dangerous. game. Top is Cutting Edge and bottom is GS Custom. The GS Custom Flat Point Solid is one bullet I've been unable to stop in my 48" bullet test media.

The theory behind the deep, straight line penetration by flat point solids has to do, as I understand it, with the flat point creating a high-pressure cavitation bubble that surrounds the front portion of the bullet as it penetrates thus lessening disruption of rotational stability and friction of the bullet as it flies within the cavitation bubble. Deflection from instability and friction are the enemies of deep, straight line penetration.

I believe both GS Custom and Woodleigh have done extensive high speed photographic shadow graph analysis studies on the phenomenon in the development of their respective monolithic, penetrating solids. Cutting Edge, North Fork and other makers of monolithic, flat point solids have done quite a bit of media testing with their penetrating solids.
    meplat  .JPG

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    TOBY458 and IvW like this.

5. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I wonder how these makers can still produce these solids in 375 and 458, while Barnes had to quit making them in these calibers due to ATF restrictions?

6. fourfive8

fourfive8 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
    I've had the same thoughts?? There's probably half a dozen or more bullets of similar design now on the market, including some made outside the US. Barnes may have been an "easy target of opportunity" that was a victim of an interpretation at the time. But I don't know.

TOBY458 likes this.

7. Kimbo

Kimbo New Member

This is Kimbo. I am a relatively new member and am loving it. MY question- I am hoping you can steer me: I am hunting Tanzania in late Aug. for Cape Buff and in need of Factory Federal Premium .416 Rigby Woodleigh Wellcore 410 gr. soft points, P416A. I have one box left and need two - three more boxes. I can drill shots on top of each other with my CZ 550 Safari Classic with that particular cartridge. However, Federal stopped making it years ago, and I am hoping if I could post my need at the right forum or whereever you suggest at Africahunting.com, those with that ammo from years ago might respond to sell to me.

Thoughts?

(Also, I have already checked Ammoseek.com and Old West Scrounger, nada.)

Kimbo

8. TOBY458

TOBY458 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Put your request in the Free Classified forum.