What Is Your Dream Rifle?

I have one of mine: Winchester 1886 Deluxe 45-70

My other dream rifles:
Barrett M82 .50 BMG (plan on getting this within the next couple years)
Winchester Model 70 .416 Rigby (unfortunately Winchester doesn't make a magnum action so this is a pipe dream)
@hammz
There are a few Winchester Model 70 Custom African Express rifles in .416 Rigby . According to this source , anyway . Last manufactured in 2006 .
F004B000-53E6-4829-8A9D-C7C87888561B.jpeg

Hmmm...
If I need really to get my choice to one.... It would be double square bridge Mauser rifle, made by Rigby, in some of the calibers appropriate to the area and game I hunt (which is not defined in your question).. So, calibers I cannot reduce to only one choice. 7x57 (because its Rigby), or 375 h&h, or maybe 9.3x62. Each of these calibers is versatile in its own right, and with great history.

But I must tell you, this is very hard choice, to reduce to only one rifle. Real gentleman hunter, a sportsman, will need a battery of at least 2, 3, or 4 guns, for various purposes, and also to include proper shotgun in basic inventory.
Hmmm...
If I need really to get my choice to one.... It would be double square bridge Mauser rifle, made by Rigby, in some of the calibers appropriate to the area and game I hunt (which is not defined in your question).. So, calibers I cannot reduce to only one choice. 7x57 (because its Rigby), or 375 h&h, or maybe 9.3x62. Each of these calibers is versatile in its own right, and with great history.

But I must tell you, this is very hard choice, to reduce to only one rifle. Real gentleman hunter, a sportsman, will need a battery of at least 2, 3, or 4 guns, for various purposes, and also to include proper shotgun in basic inventory.
@mark-hunter
Of course . You can have a battery of even a hundred rifles , and you may still dream of owning a very particular one . I personally consider my dream four arm battery to be :
* A 7 mm Remington Magnum ( a new control round feed Winchester Model 70 )
* A 9.3x74 mm R ( a Krieghoff box-lock ejector )
* A .458 Winchester Magnum ( my Enfield Model 1917 action custom job )
* A 12 bore ( my Laurona sidelock ejector )

Dream guns vary with my age. When I was a kid in High School my dream gun was a Kleinguenther in 270 Win. Later in life a SAKO 75 (I own 4 85's but no 75's), Now, anything Holland & Holland double or bolt in 375H&H. My dream shot gun in High school was a Parker (own 1) and out of college Belgian Browning (own 1) and my current dream shotgun is a John M Browning B15. If could just convince my wife that I only spent $1000.

B15-cal20-Grade12-Droite.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 6.43.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 6.43.00 PM.png
    703.1 KB · Views: 189
  • Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 6.43.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 6.43.02 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 189
Last edited by a moderator:
I’m lucky. I have it. Now I’m thinking of a left handed Winchester Mod 70 barreled in 300 H&H.

6B5B6EF3-FBBA-40A8-8B16-ED1C2821CD6E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
This exact Certus In .450/400
Rookhawk owned it for a bit but sold it, I didn’t have the funds at the time. Who knows where it is now or when it’ll come back for sale.

View attachment 367727

Certus .450

They are unique - interesting - very rare - and built in a cool caliber. They are also truly terrible rifles.

As for as a personal dream rifle, either a .375 built by Tod Ramirez or an OU .375 flanged NE by Hartmann & Weiss.

Last edited:
One where I create the cartridge, hand it over to a custom gunsmith and say "here, make me a rifle to this specification." (dependent entirely upon caliber, species to be hunted, et. al.) .264 Richter Short Mag has served me well (lol outperforms all factory 6.5s in a lightweight 23" bbl rig, excepting the Wby, which is just fine, Uncle Roy!) My accountant brother always tells me to SAAMI'ize it! The .416 Chatfield-Taylor is perfection as is the .470 Capstick (efficiency-wise). So many great gunmakers out there today (for light-med-heavy calibers.) A custom rifle that was used by a devout hunter previously across the world means a lot to me...

A Browning Superposed in 20G

A Männlicher full stock in 7x57

Last edited:
They are unique - interesting - very rare - and built in a cool caliber. They are also truly terrible rifles.

As for as a personal dream rifle, either a .375 built by Tod Ramirez or an OU .375 flanged NE by Hartmann & Weiss.

Waiting on you to sell me yours as well. My dream Safari is a Certus in .450 and one in .400 :D

For those who are interested, I described a superb rifle that I used in Zimbabwe in my article: "Is this the ultimate .404 Jeffrey?" here on AH. Take a look.(y)

Any Original Mauser or between the wars English bolt gun . I’m missing an original 505 Gibbs if anyone knows of one?....I’ve given up on finding an original 500 Jeffery...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg