What have you killed with the 8x57?

The S indicates the larger .323" bullet that has been discussed above. Absence of the S means a .318" bullet. I don't know what the German word is that is represented by the S, but that's the indicator of bullet size. (and often additional powder/pressure/velocity for modern guns too)

I was told that the WW1 mausers that were retained by the Germans were often so badly worn, they sorted those that could be repaired, yet had eroded bores into the .323" pile. I'm unsure if they just shot worn out .318" rifles, or if they remanufactured the bores to .323", but the impetus was reuse of old guns in the build up to the WW2 era.
The "S" stands for "Spitzer" (pointed bullet vs. the original rounded nose). An "S" (8x57 JS or JRS) is always a .323" bullet. An 8x57JRS cartridge is unsafe to be fired in an 8x57 JR bore, although apparently that does not stop some people from trying it.

The 8x57J (rimless, .318" bore) was used in the old M1888 Commission Rifles (Gewehr 88). The older barrels were bored out to .323" grooves (but interestingly, with .318" lands) in 1905; well prior to WW I. Many civilian / hunting rifles continued to be chambered for the 8x57 JR (rimmed) cartridge after that time, but not all. As always, check to see for which cartridge your rifle or drilling is chambered.

I've shot a number of deer, one or two elk? and Plains game with a 8x57. My present jewel is a deluxe JP SAuer and Sons Mauser, one of the finest and rarest Mausers as JP Sauer made a deal to produce the Mauser with their mark on it and Mauser allowed them to do that, I have one all original sporter in 8x57 and one in 30-06..worth an even trade for Fort Knox :)

8x57 is my favorite deer cartridge, here is a last day of the season doe. The rifle is an 8x57i (.318 bore), it was proofed in 1933, never drilled for scope, near prefect bore. 175 gr bullet from Buffalo Arms, don't remember the powder, probably IMR 4320. Part oct barrel 23 1/2 long. The rifle weights 7 lb 4 oz

deer4.jpg
DEER5.jpg
DEER6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a guy that hit a robber in Trenton, NJ with an 8x57! (He didn't shoot the perp-he literally beat him silly with the unloaded, very banged up old military gun!) Old German guy vs. African American. Sounds remotely familiar...lol

Total trivia....there was a discount department store owned by boxer Larry Holmes called LANECO. Long ago, they'd sell surplus military rifles out of filled garbage cans for $19.99 or $29.99. Old guy bought one for home defense-and it paid dividends, unloaded! He's still kicking. I'll have to inquire about the rifle when i run into him at his vaca place.

DWM 8x57 JS - Barnes 180 TTSX hand loads. Shot multiple springbok and other plaines game. Sold there rifle when I moved to the US. it was a great shooter.

IMG_1345.jpeg
IMG_1346.jpeg
IMG_0048.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!