What do you expect from a camp gun?

Roy Weatherby was obsessed with his cartridges being the fastest and there is a market for that.
Weatherby cartridges wear out barrels faster than others for the same number of rounds.
Probably not the best plan for a camp rifle that may or may not get the proper care it needs.
Although I guess the punishment of the recoil would keep the round count down.

Having the ammo dump at my feet would be unacceptable if I were hunting squirrel, let alone DG.
I have never shot a Weatherby cartridge or rifle, it's just not my cup of tea.
That's a very good observation , Bee Ma . The most damage to rifle barrels l have ever seen came from :
1) .220 Swift fired from a pre 64 Winchester Model 70.
2) M1 Garand loaded with .30-06 A square monolithic solids. Barrel life is 700 rounds approx.
3) Colt Sauer rifle chambered in .458 Winchester Magnum loaded with A square monolithic solids . Barrel life was 571 rounds ( the guy who fired it kept a journal recording his shots )
The first one , l can whole heartedly understand. The second two puzzle me. Monolithic solids seem really cool
 
Thank you everybody.

So lets try it this way.
If I win the lotto tonight, buy a Ranch next week and walk into Safari and Outdoor 3 weeks from now. What Rifles can I buy that will meet your standards? No DG on the farm, only PG. Eland and Giraffe.

I was thinking a pair of Mauser M18’s, a 6,5x55 and 300wm both topped with VX3 3,5-10x40

Wil that be ok? Or will that be frowned upon as low budged ........

No complaints by me.
Overall I expect a weapon the PH has faith will work well for whatever I'm hunting.
I showed up last year to the East Cape knowing I'd be shooting a synthetic stocked Ruger M77 in 300 WM and a Mauser in 308. Both had Leupold glass, VXR I think. Ammo was PNP. Neither were beauty queens but both worked perfectly.
 
Thank you everybody.

So lets try it this way.
If I win the lotto tonight, buy a Ranch next week and walk into Safari and Outdoor 3 weeks from now. What Rifles can I buy that will meet your standards? No DG on the farm, only PG. Eland and Giraffe.

I was thinking a pair of Mauser M18’s, a 6,5x55 and 300wm both topped with VX3 3,5-10x40

Wil that be ok? Or will that be frowned upon as low budged ........
All day, every day.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,271
Messages
1,570,202
Members
168,859
Latest member
trucviluftspac1984
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top