What Calibre to Bring on a One-Gun Safari?

Professor Mawla

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
The .375 H&H Magnum wins this one hands down . That said , I have been exclusively using a .458 Winchester Magnum as my only “ proper rifle “ ever since 1976 ( by using the correspondingly appropriate bullets , of course ) . I use it on everything ranging from petite barking deer to rogue Asiatic jungle elephant bulls . I have never ever felt handicapped by using a .458 Winchester Magnum as my only rifle and I could not be more pleased with it .

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
What if I told you that you could hunt anything on Earth with Privi Partizan .375 H&H loads fired out of a Winchester Model 70? Surely heads would explode. Must have a Woodleigh or an A Frame or a TSX they would shout and gin would be spit across bar rooms from Anchorage to Cape Town.

A .458 Lott sure makes for a less interesting experience, but is not necessary according to some and anemic to others.

Were I to go one gun for Safari I would choose a .375 H&H with 300 grain bullets. I would carry some soft and some solid and some Accubond for long shots.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
What if I told you that you could hunt anything on Earth with Privi Partizan .375 H&H loads fired out of a Winchester Model 70? Surely heads would explode. Must have a Woodleigh or an A Frame or a TSX they would shout and gin would be spit across bar rooms from Anchorage to Cape Town.

A .458 Lott sure makes for a less interesting experience, but is not necessary according to some and anemic to others.

Were I to go one gun for Safari I would choose a .375 H&H with 300 grain bullets. I would carry some soft and some solid and some Accubond for long shots.
Are you saying the PPU will do just that?
I hope so, I have these as factory rounds to collect my first round of cases for reloading.
Assuming the same rule applies to these PPU being fired from a CZ550, if not I’m gonna have some fun with them because they don’t fit in my bullet puller so there only one way to reclaim these cases.

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Are you saying the PPU will do just that?
I hope so, I have these as factory rounds to collect my first round of cases for reloading.
Assuming the same rule applies to these PPU being fired from a CZ550, if not I’m gonna have some fun with them because they don’t fit in my bullet puller so there only one way to reclaim these cases.
I'm saying that PPU soft points tear up AR 500 where Sierras do not. So I don't have concerns about them holding together. That is all I am saying.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
I'm saying that PPU soft points tear up AR 500 where Sierras do not. So I don't have concerns about them holding together. That is all I am saying.
I'm thinking .375H&H probably tears up AR500.

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I'm thinking .375H&H probably tears up AR500.
You'd be wrong at 50 yards. 285gr Speer grand slams and 300gr sierra game kings are not bad on it. Slight dimpling, but nothing that concerns me. The PPU load puts a much deeper divot in ⅜" AR-500 and causes deformation even in lightweight pieces like a 4" gong.

Bert the Turtle

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
For plains game (excluding eland), I can't imagine anything would be substantially better than a garden-variety .30-06 or .308 Win. Ammo is plentiful for both and they are proven perfomers.

For dry, dusty areas, perhaps something that makes a bigger hole might be in order, but I can't imagine more power would be needed to kill thin-skinned ungulates. Perhaps a derivative of the .30-06 like a .338-06 or .35 Whelen for more open savanna or something based off the .308 Win case like a .338 Federal or .358 Win would be nice for bushveld. With modern bullets, these rounds approximate the performance of such old African numbers as the .318 Westley Richards and 9.3x62, two cartridges with storied histories. I'd think these four would be fine for all plains game, including eland, and a guy wouldn't really have to worry about recoil all that much.

But..what do I know? I've never been (yet!) and have yet to shoot any African plains game.

30-06 will work fine. I used mine for my first 3 trips. You do not need anything heavier to efficiently and ethically kill plains game.

I used a 404 then a 375 for trips 4 and 5. Speaking only of good heart/lung shots on plains game, (a crap shot is a crap shot and a brain/spine shot is a brain/spine shot) the animals react quite differently to a heavier gun. With an '06, they generally take off running and drop dead when they bleed out. Can cover 100 yards in that time. With a bigger gun, they generally stagger a bit, meander, walk, or trot a little ways then drop dead when they bleed out. Don't cover as much ground. Makes recovery easier, has no downside other than a little extra weight as far as I can tell, and is a whole lot more fun to shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarielCary

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J