What calibre for Cape Eland

We all know that a perfect first shot placement is important, after that an enough deeply penetration of the bullet and that this depends on the structure of the various bullets.

The question that arises with bigger game species is how extensive the wound-channels have to be to keep this game in place or eventually to keep the escape distances as short as possible. Larger wound channels depend on the expansion of a bullet but also on the caliber of the bullet. Accordingly is the choice of a cartridge for a particular species of game, in our case the eland.
Well said. Of course, shot placement is always the most important issue, but it is not the only issue, as is so often said. A larger caliber with a well constructed bullet gives you more options as to what a perfect shot placement is. I once knew a man that claimed he killed an elk every year with a .22 Hornet. He said he set up at a water hole and waited. When he had a perfect angle he would place the bullet into the eye socket of the elk and kill it. That would be perfect shot placement, but does anyone think that a .22 Hornet would be a good choice for an elk rifle?

As I see it, there are three legs involved in choosing the right rifle for any hunt. Not only does the bullet need to reach a vital spot, it must have the weight, or caliber if you prefer, to penetrate from any reasonable angle. Not every hunt allows the hunter to wait for a perfect shot angle on the animal that is standing still. Even if you can wait, who can say that nothing unplanned will ever happen? Has anyone that has hunted very much say that they never had a bullet land slightly off.the mark from where they thought it was going? I would say that anyone that claims that they never missed a shot is most likely lying.

A bigger, heavier, well constructed bullet placed in the right spot is generally more effective than a lighter, more fragile bullet placed in the same spot.

I shot mine behind the shoulder with my go-to cheap-ass Speer 270gr .375 boat-tail spitzer traveling at a moderate 2,500 f/s and the bull fell dead without even taking a step.

View attachment 585039

View attachment 585040

In my PH's experience, anything 30 caliber or over is more than adequate for eland. As nice as it is to split hairs over the ideal caliber and ideal shot placement, if I had to get a second one I wouldn't change a thing--perhaps I would try my .318 WR. As other have said, shot placement is much more important than cartridge selection. If you have a 30-cal rifle and want an eland, don't think you have to get anything bigger or faster.
Great looking eland and falling block. I’m glad you get that rifle out of the safe and into the field on the tracks of eland. I hope you get the chance to do the same with you 318 sometime.

@318AE - Thanks! The falling block H&H (my .375) is going to accompany me to Greenland in two short months!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you