What binoculars do you use while on Safari?

You may or may not use your bino while hunting, but if you do any game reserve touring before or after the safari you WILL want a pair of binoculars.

No matter your final choice, buy the best glass you can afford. You will use them the rest of your life, then your kids can enjoy them. Better glass lets you see in twilight, rangefinders are used for much more than shot distance, trackers may have great eyesight but they will have junk glass, PH will have good glass. Yours will double the resources.

My last two trips I used Minox 8x42 and Leica ultravid 8x20. Mostly the 8x42s because the smaller ones are not as steady. I like the 8x range where I've hunted but in more open country 10x would be great.

I suspect 80% of the Americans going to Africa have NOT seen a game animal before their PH did. A huge pair of binos around their neck serves the same purpose as a pith helmet. I use the same binos as @Altitude sickness ......they are about perfect............FWB

Swaros are getting love. I see Swarowo 8.5x42, and that's all I could have hoped for. They are very compact, but powerful and clear.

I carry Leica Geovid 10x42 HDb range finding binos. I use them regardless of what I am hunting.

While your PH will do the spotting for you, there is nothing like using your own glass for viewing a lot of different things while in Africa. Personally, I would not go to Africa without good glass at whatever level of affordability you are comfortable with.

Swaro 8.5x42 I couldn't ask for more. My second best binos are Tract Toric, they are incredibly nice in general and outstanding for the money.
I also have the Tracts in 8x42 and those will be what I take this summer.

For those who haven’t seen a pair these are my 25yo Docter Optic 8x32 Aspherical binoculars that I’ll be taking to Zimbabwe
IMG_0122.jpeg
IMG_0123.jpeg
IMG_0124.jpeg

I use Leica Geovid 10x42 for primary, I take Zeiss Victory 8x25 for ultra small lightweight to cover travel and tourism. More important, for me, than the bino is the method of carry. I use Rick Young Outdoors harness for all binos (wife's too). You can swing them out of the way into a underarm side carry in a flash for a quick shot, going through thick brush and overall comfort and ease of carry. I no longer use chest packs.

Being from Germany, there is only on solution since 1985 -Zeiss 10x42

These are my two pair. I typically hunt with the Minox because they are 10x43 vs the 8x32 Swaro’s. The EL’s do have a superior FOV, but I like the Minox. The glass is as close to equal as you could ask, and that’s why I’ve never upgraded the Minox. With that said, I did look through a pair of Swaro’s new NL’s, and my Minox will be taking a back seat when I decide to piss some money away.

IMG_4900.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Leica 8x32 in Africa, have used Zeiss 10x42 before as well. Can't imagine not having good glass for a lot of reasons, mainly just to enjoy bird & animal viewing. Just walking along and throwing the rifle on sticks and pulling the trigger on command at whatever the PH or tracker sees is not for me, I like to participate in trophy selection.

I am partial to Steiner

Monocular 8x22

Safari 8x30

Observer 10x42

No harness of any kind, just a strap, and it goes under my left arm.

For Africa the 8x30 is just fine.

Steiner 7x50 military
next buy will be Steiner 10x

An excellent, high power bino with wide range adds to the enjoyment of an exciting safari. In addition to game spotting bird watching, viewing children bring livestock back to a boma in the evening. I have been a serious big game hunter more than seventy years and feel i am responsible to help spot and value potential trophies. I like my 10x42 Swarovski with range finder. Strap over right shoulder and binos tucked under left arm. Works for me and does not interfere with my shooting or stalking. They certainly add to enjoying scenery and what is happening on a wonderful African adventure. Kindest regards

I also have the Tracts in 8x42 and those will be what I take this summer.

I can't believe how good Tract products are for the price. I have several of their scopes also and they are without question top tier.

Zeiss 10x45 RF

Swaro 15x56

Zeiss Victory T*FL 8x32 binos that I use for birdwatching have been taken twice and last year used my Zeiss Conquest 8x42 binos. The Victory model is lighter. I have used these in the Eastern Cape, South Africa where 10 power would likely be better. Then again, the PH is using Swaro's and picks out game much quicker than I.

Zeiss black armor almost 40 years old in both 8x30 and 10x40. Have given me excellent service.
Do use a pair of Lecia Trinovoid 10x25 bca around home on hikes for bird Id.
The Zeiss have been a great pair of binoculars considering the rough use they received, woul buy again if needed and available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boob415

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.