What binoculars do you use while on Safari?

Heh, heh. I bought 8x Steiners for my first trip. They didn't have enough magnification. The following summer I found a new in box set of some unknown brand the pawn shop owner called "Nikon knockoffs". They actually worked with my wonky eyes (left eyeball wears a silicon buckle and sees up and to right). What the hell, for eighty bucks I've got nothing to lose. They came with a crappy nylon case that I tossed immediately. Bought a used purse at Salvation Army and stripped the leather to make a belt holster. My first attempt was a prototype. Turned out okay but I plan to make another without the pucker in the middle now that I have dimensions figured out. These cheap 10x42 binocs have served me well in Africa and hunting deer in Montana. The first fall deer hunting with them a screw in the bridge for focus ring came loose but I fixed it with Loktite and no problems since. I hunt hard and just can't see myself spending thousands on something that's easily broken. I don't use binoculars that much anyway. In Africa the PH and tracker have top shelf glass and know what they're looking at. When deer hunting, binoculars are usually in the vehicle. If I'm on a track, encounters with game are typically close enough for my scope to provide sufficient magnification. When I'm out for the day I MAY throw binocs in my daypack ... if I remember. Only wear the holster in Africa because then I typically don't wear a pack. The flap on this belt holster is easily tucked inside for quick access to binocs. I hate chest holsters. Too confining. I get too hot. Also, sometimes I may need to cross-sling my rifle and that doesn't work with a binoculars case strapped to my chest.
20220320_235509.jpg
20220320_235530.jpg

When I took this photo a brass snap still needed to be mounted to the closure strap.

Last edited:
Nice, I mostly use the bino buddies, so I can tuck them in my coat when it's raining or snowing and not too bulky. I mostly hunt Montana with antique rifles, hand guns or muzzleloader. I'm in the NW corner of the state. I hadn't thought about a side pouch for binos for many years, nice job on it.

Nice, I mostly use the bino buddies, so I can tuck them in my coat when it's raining or snowing and not too bulky. I mostly hunt Montana with antique rifles, hand guns or muzzleloader. I'm in the NW corner of the state. I hadn't thought about a side pouch for binos for many years, nice job on it.
I'm originally from Columbia Falls. This was in the Hungry Horse News a long time ago.
elk1c.jpg

Swaro 8.5x42 and leica 10x50 but swaros are my go to binos

I'm originally from Columbia Falls. This was in the Hungry Horse News a long time ago.View attachment 583964
I have never gotten a big bull elk, just wasn't my thing. I'm originally from Tillamook Oregon, went around the world with uncle Sam and decided to retire here. I have gotten some nice bears and caribou though and a couple nice deer.

For Africa use excellent optics but as compact as possible. You have to carry them... 8 or 10x magnification with objectives up to 42 max are ideal. Can recommand the Swarovski NL Pure and the new smaller EL Range. On a smaller budget the Kahles Helia S are fantastic. As Kahles is part of the Swarovski group, the Helia S are what used to be the Swarovski SLC.

I have long used Swaro 10x42 ELs, but just got a pair of Leica 10x32 Geovid Pro rangefinders that are a lot lighter and I can barely tell the difference between them and the Swaros.

As said, which country? The eastern cape or up on the Serengeti you would most likely want more power than sitting in a Limpopo blind on a water hole. Or stalking in the Zambezi valley

For our Zim hunt In May my wife will carry Leica Ultravid 7x42 and me swaro 8x30 for seeing into dark thick Jess

Leica 8x32 for the savanna and Forest.
Mountain leica 10x50

I took a new pair of Steiner 10x42 Safari model. Price was fair. Spent the extra money on game and taxidermy. Also getting airfreight on my 7 animals, soon.

Sorry if this has been asked, or there are previous threads on it, but I tried searching in multiple ways and could not find anything on the subject?

Sooo, what do all of you use while on Safari? Brand, Model, Power?

I have mostly used Swarovski in the past but have been using a lot of Meopta lately. I have their 8x30’s, 10x42’s, and 15x56’s…
Though I’m thinking of bringing my old Doctor Optic 8x30 Aspherical binoculars this coming trip, wonderful glass!
Swarovski 8x30

For Africa a Leica Ultravid 8X32 hung cross body (under arm) with the Leica strap so I can easily swing behind my body when moving through the Jesse or any other heavy cover. My wife carries a pair as well.

For Alaska and most everywhere else a Swarovski 10x42 EL Range (built in range finder). These are attached and carried in a KUIU Pro Bino Harness on my chest.

For my Safari in Tanzania i was given a pair of Swarovski 10x42 and they were obviously outstanding quality - also Heavy (over 30 oz). I already owned a pair of Nikon 10x40 Monach that i paid around $400 for - very good quality and light (21oz).
After months of using both pair - the weight of the Swaro’s kept them from traveling to Africa with me and I took the Nikons. I will not argue the the Swaro’s are superior glass - they are and even I noticed a “slight” improvement in clarity at low light …but no difference in full sunlight. But the weight was a deterrent for any walking/stalking type hunts and the 5 to 8 miles we walked a day chasing buffalo was enough to convince me that I made the right decision….just carrying my rifle and my sunglasses was more weight then i really wanted! My Swaro’s will last me several lifetimes because they are confined to spotting game from my truck or when hunting from a Box blind, whenever I’m “on the move” I’m using either compact Steiner‘s or the Nikon’s - and dealing with the slightly lower clarity (especially with the Steiner compact….they serve ok for bow hunting only).

I use my 20 year old Leica Trinovid 8X32 BN on a Rick Young Ultralight Binocular Harness.

My Trinovids are compact but heavy compared to today's offerings. I am tempted to upgrade to the new Leica Ultravids 8X32 HD Plus or to the Swarovski NL Pure 8X32, but I am really fond of my old Trinovids.

I chose the 8X magnification as I thought it would offer a better compromise for the various types of hunting that I do. In my opinion the 10X are probably preferable for vast open areas or mountain hunting, but the 8X are easier to hold steady especially if you glass for very long periods.

I wear my binoculars constantly and use them a lot. The Rick Young Ultralight Harness is the best I have ever used. I highly recommend it.

Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000 rangefinding binos for most hunting, but they can be heavy and overpowered for some hunts.

My backup for heavy cover and light travel is a Leica Rangemaster CRF-3500.COM with 7x zoom.

If I were to get another set, it would be in the 6x32 or 8x32 range but it would still have rangefinding capability. Probably another Leica product.

Swarovski EL 8x32. Very light and compact. They sit over my right shoulder at my left hip on a pair of RYO straps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MajorBirds

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.