What are the most common calibres in Africa?

njc110381

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Having never been to Africa I'm not sure how finding ammunition works when going on a trip? If you're out in the middle of nowhere and lose your ammo, what calibres are most likely to be widely available? I'm always reading that it doesn't pay to have anything too obscure, but which ones could you expect to be able to find pretty much everywhere?

Calibers to be found on the family farm in Limpopo: 22lr, 223, 243, 7x57, 303, 308, 458 Lott. In terms of ammo availability off the shelves somewhere like Safari and Outdoor in Johannesburg or Pretoria? Their website is quite comprehensive: www.safarioutdoor.co.za

But out in the sticks? What ever your ph uses I suppose

30-06, .308 Win, 300 Win Mag, 7x57 and 375 H&H

Seems about right for what “most” locals use. I would hover like to add the .303 and the 6mm Musgrave, a local caliber based on the .303 which is also not not uncommon in the households.
6.5 Creedmore is gaining, but I don’t have any figures.
The above is for South Africa.
I only know three hunters from Namibia, but they all have 308Win.

Having never been to Africa I'm not sure how finding ammunition works when going on a trip? If you're out in the middle of nowhere and lose your ammo, what calibres are most likely to be widely available? I'm always reading that it doesn't pay to have anything too obscure, but which ones could you expect to be able to find pretty much everywhere?

This depends on where you are going. Traveling to Southern Africa often means through Johannesburg RSA and thus as mentioned above by @Nkawu there are sporting goods stores with extensive ammo inventory. Now the trick is you have to have a temporary firearms license to purchase ammo for your particular rifle.
So as @sierraone mentions the 375 H&H is very common and the ammo can be found in other countries as well. It’s also not a bad idea to ask your outfitter what caliber his camp gun is chambered for thus assuring available rounds if you take that same caliber.

This topic comes up from time to time but it's easy to forget just buying a box of ammo off a shelf in Africa or using the PH's may not give the intended results. What are one's options? Different strokes but I would use the outfitter's rifle. The one's I've seen used have been spot on. As far as ammo at the farm I hunt, you name it, he's got it, even .17 Fireball.:D

An often discussed topic. I find it a bit irrelevant and here’s why:
1. Many hunters have specific loads made for their guns to shoot their very best. This is not off the shelf ammo and can’t be replaced regardless of caliber.
2. Most of the time it’s your gun that doesn’t arrive not your suitcase and ammo. Ask many of us with scores of international trips under our belts.
3. Planning for safari is a dream come true for anyone. Don’t let fears stop you from using the caliber you really want.
4. Worst case scenario is you borrow a gun from your PH. There are many people here who won’t use a hunting travel agent and thus have had horrible experiences and PLAN to use the camp gun!

To answer your question properly: .375 H&H, .300 Win, .30-06

Regards,
Philip

I always thought the two most common calibres in Africa would be the little 7.62 Soviet and the 7.62 NATO. The .303 might have a place there as well, along with the 7.62 Russian.

30-06, .308 Win, 300 Win Mag, 7x57 and 375 H&H
That covers the common ones I've seen in my three trips to Namibia and South Africa.

That said, while this seems to be a big concern it is a pretty rare occurance. I've read a fair amount of hunting reports here and I don't think I've ever read of delayed or lost ammo. A couple delayed rifles and one bow lost for a while, but not ammo. All in all, it's a pretty safe bet your luggage will show. Just make sure you pack the ammo and follow the requirements for the airline and countries leaving, transitting and arriving in and you'll be fine.
If all else fails or you want to keep it simple your outfitter will have firearms you can use.

I always thought the two most common calibres in Africa would be the little 7.62 Soviet and the 7.62 NATO. The .303 might have a place there as well, along with the 7.62 Russian.

The War is long over

It may be because I am typically in remote area where elephant and buff are on the menu, but I think there has been a .458 Lott in every camp I have been in with one exception.

After more than 40 years of hunting - nearly every day….., I can say, I never lost a single cartrige….

And I do not know a guy, that lost all his ammo….

It simply does not happen.... and it will not happen to you.

I would no hesitate to hunt africa with a 11,2 x72 Schüler!

HWL

22LR, 223, 243, 6.5CM, 6.5x55, 270Win, 7x57, 308, 30-06, 300WM, 8x57, 9.3x62, 375H&H, 416Rem, 458Win, 458Lott. 375Ruger is becoming ore popular with PH who don't hunt a lot of dangerous game. It is available in generally less expensive rifles than the 375H&H. Check out the prices on the Howa and the Mossberg Patriot.

For the travelling hunter, concerned about ammo availability, choose 30-06, 300WM, 375H&H. 416Rem, 458Lott becoming more popular for dangerous game.

I took my 300WSM in 2014 and am taking it again in April 2019. Handloads of course, Federal cases, CCI 250, enough RL17 to get the Barnes 168TTSX travelling 3100fps. A little small for an eland, but should work. Perfectly fine for waterbuck, nyala, duiker, fallow deer, bushbuck, possibly auodad or red lechwe.

AB - Where are you hunting Fallow and Auodad ??

22lr, 243 win, 308 Win, 30-06. 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 416 Remington, 458 Win or Lott. I've seen a lot of Musgrave and CZ rifles, affordable and they work.

Ammo in RSA can only be sold to the holder of a valid firearm license for that caliber being purchased.
You will need a friendly local to help out ( I never said that!!)

Ammo in RSA can only be sold to the holder of a valid firearm license for that caliber being purchased.

If you have a the SAPS Permit you have a valid license and can buy ammo for the firearms on the permit

You can buy ammo for the rifle on your permit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross