What are the ideal components of a Control Round Feed action, and which actions have the best features?

Interesting point.

Would round stock used for an action first be forged, and then machined? I have no idea as well. There has to be a metallurgical engineer somewhere in this community that can take us into a far too detailed discussion about processes as well as the pros and cons.
I imagine so. All the round receivers ala Rem 700 are so for streamlined manufacturing process, not because they are better IMHO.
I took an 8mm post WWII Brno vz.24 and made it into a 404 Jeffery. Military flag safety is fine for combat soldiers with unknown or limited experience with guns. But for hunting they are not for me. Too fiddly. It's a two finger task moving the flag from right side to left side of the bolt shroud. Leaving the flag in position two straight up is not a good plan when stalking. The bolt can pop open accidentally. And, of course, flag safety doesn't work with a scope. Wing style aftermarket scope relief safeties are two position only. Be aware that some of those will disengage if the bolt is rattled. Also, if the scope is detached for optional iron sights, the wing safety is then vulnerable to being accidentally disengaged in the safe position. So I opted for aftermarket 3-position Model 70 safety. Those are tough to beat. Out of the way and 3-position so the gun can be loaded/unloaded with striker locked.
I never had an issue with 2-pos wing style safety on either side of the bolt shroud. But they are pretty stiff. Soft safeties I do not like as they do tend to switch from one position to another as if by magic during any handling. I can't speak to the issues people mention either. Obviously if they don't like them for the safety potentially moving in the brush it must happen. In the brush I prefer to have my gun in my hands anyway, but we all hunt differently and I'm sure there are situations where branches may poke the lever. But the loading unloading I do not get. With Mauser style action you just lift the bolt and move it back and forth. With cock-on-open the firing pin is back in the bolt body, so quite safe, I think.

I mean anything can happen when we mishandle a gun...so to each his own probably.

I think that Ruger has proven that investment casting is very usable of rifle actions.

I have rifles built on Granite Mountain, Winchester M70, and Ruger M77 mrk II actions.

The GM actions are 'true' M98 actions and are extremely well finished with wing safetys, third lug, Argentine style single piece bottom metal, and flat bottomed action, and available in single or double square bridge versions. The triggers are very good. They are available in four lengths with appropriate bolt diameters, and mey be ordered in right or left hand. My own (a 404 Jeffery) is a DSB, LH, small ring Magnum length action.

I also have several rifles built on left hand Winchester Model 70 'Classic' actions - 280AI, 308 Norma Magnum, and .375 H&H. These all have Blackburn or Sunnyhill bottom metal and the .375 is fitted with a drop box magazine. These have many of the functional features of the GM action, but cost much less. They are utterly reliable, but the triggers on two have been. replaced with Timney triggers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ColetteJ48

Latest profile posts

BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.