Westley Richards 400/360NE & Use on Big Game?

Sarg

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
Just trying to see if there was any body who had used this caliber on Big Game, I have a WR double in this caliber & thought it was the .360 No2 when buying it which I'm sure is a killer but turned out to be 400/360NE not a lot of information with out digging on these .360's as not popular in modern times & most were converted to the easier to obtain 9.3X74, which makes sense but sad to see .

Any way the WR uses a .360 bullet so bit hard to do on them, I think it should still be good killer on most game, even Buffalo with its 314gr bullet, heck only bullets I have are 314gr Solids by Kynoch & what else would these have been loaded for if not thick skinned big game ?

In his book Taylor raves on about the .350 Rigby = .400/350 which is very near the same cartridge but says of the WR .400/360 kills game but failed to satisfy, does not seem possible IF the .400/350 is so good, he states he even shot Elephant with the .400/350 !

I have a Westley Richards double drop lock in 400/360 dated from 1914, I contacted WR for info and they said only 43 doubles made in that calibre, any advice on this round would also be appreciated, at minimum would be a great pig, deer etc rifle...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 10.25.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 10.25.24 AM.png
    318.8 KB · Views: 79
Thank you @PerH yes I have seen that, I was hoping some one may have shot some big animals with one or read about some olden day hunter doing such as I believe it is the same as .400/350 & if that was such a great killing all rounder so should this be & I have one lol !

If I was still working on the Buffalo I could have tried it but it is a bit nice to take out in that environment !

Sarg, I handled one just a month ago belonging to a grand gentleman I met, it balanced superbly, and so slim, light and elegant, but for sure I would take it into the bush - carefully. I will ask him if he had taken big game with it and get back to you.

Oh thank you @Kevin Peacocke, I was not meaning African environment, which most of the Buffalo areas aren't too bad other than the swamp/Rain Forest, which is the environment I was working in .

carrying-buff-head-gan-gan-swamp-jpg.405569

Attachments

• Carrying Buff Head Gan Gan Swamp.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 284
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sarg, My friend says he isn't aware of anyone using the 400/360 on buff, quote : "it is a bit anaemic". His double is a 360 No2, which is similar in power to the 375 H&H.

Thats what the word is Kevin but not from any one who has used the 400/360NE on any big game & yes I was hoping my rifle was a 360No2 when I bought it, reads as more power any way .

While I was trying to find info on its use & reread Taylor he was raving over the 400/350NE, (even on Elephant) which is exactly the same & if that is so why would the 400/360NE be so mundane ?

I have 314gr solids what were these loaded for if not Buffalo or Bigger ?

Thats what the word is Kevin but not from any one who has used the 400/360NE on any big game & yes I was hoping my rifle was a 360No2 when I bought it, reads as more power any way .

While I was trying to find info on its use & reread Taylor he was raving over the 400/350NE, (even on Elephant) which is exactly the same & if that is so why would the 400/360NE be so mundane ?

I have 314gr solids what were these loaded for if not Buffalo or Bigger ?
I agree Sarg. Get some chrono figures, make some energy calculations and decide upon something close. If it stacks up, come and shoot a buff with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArronRicka

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you