Westley Richards 400/360NE & Use on Big Game?

Sarg

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
New Zealand - Australia - Sumatra - Kenya - Zimbabwe - Namibia - South Africa - Botswana - Alaska - Nevada - Hokkaido - Greenland - New Caledonia
Just trying to see if there was any body who had used this caliber on Big Game, I have a WR double in this caliber & thought it was the .360 No2 when buying it which I'm sure is a killer but turned out to be 400/360NE not a lot of information with out digging on these .360's as not popular in modern times & most were converted to the easier to obtain 9.3X74, which makes sense but sad to see .

Any way the WR uses a .360 bullet so bit hard to do on them, I think it should still be good killer on most game, even Buffalo with its 314gr bullet, heck only bullets I have are 314gr Solids by Kynoch & what else would these have been loaded for if not thick skinned big game ?

In his book Taylor raves on about the .350 Rigby = .400/350 which is very near the same cartridge but says of the WR .400/360 kills game but failed to satisfy, does not seem possible IF the .400/350 is so good, he states he even shot Elephant with the .400/350 !

I have a Westley Richards double drop lock in 400/360 dated from 1914, I contacted WR for info and they said only 43 doubles made in that calibre, any advice on this round would also be appreciated, at minimum would be a great pig, deer etc rifle...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 10.25.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 10.25.24 AM.png
    318.8 KB · Views: 78
Thank you @PerH yes I have seen that, I was hoping some one may have shot some big animals with one or read about some olden day hunter doing such as I believe it is the same as .400/350 & if that was such a great killing all rounder so should this be & I have one lol !

If I was still working on the Buffalo I could have tried it but it is a bit nice to take out in that environment !

Sarg, I handled one just a month ago belonging to a grand gentleman I met, it balanced superbly, and so slim, light and elegant, but for sure I would take it into the bush - carefully. I will ask him if he had taken big game with it and get back to you.

Oh thank you @Kevin Peacocke, I was not meaning African environment, which most of the Buffalo areas aren't too bad other than the swamp/Rain Forest, which is the environment I was working in .

carrying-buff-head-gan-gan-swamp-jpg.405569

Attachments

• Carrying Buff Head Gan Gan Swamp.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 284
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sarg, My friend says he isn't aware of anyone using the 400/360 on buff, quote : "it is a bit anaemic". His double is a 360 No2, which is similar in power to the 375 H&H.

Thats what the word is Kevin but not from any one who has used the 400/360NE on any big game & yes I was hoping my rifle was a 360No2 when I bought it, reads as more power any way .

While I was trying to find info on its use & reread Taylor he was raving over the 400/350NE, (even on Elephant) which is exactly the same & if that is so why would the 400/360NE be so mundane ?

I have 314gr solids what were these loaded for if not Buffalo or Bigger ?

Thats what the word is Kevin but not from any one who has used the 400/360NE on any big game & yes I was hoping my rifle was a 360No2 when I bought it, reads as more power any way .

While I was trying to find info on its use & reread Taylor he was raving over the 400/350NE, (even on Elephant) which is exactly the same & if that is so why would the 400/360NE be so mundane ?

I have 314gr solids what were these loaded for if not Buffalo or Bigger ?
I agree Sarg. Get some chrono figures, make some energy calculations and decide upon something close. If it stacks up, come and shoot a buff with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross