Weird mosquito looking bug with stinger!

Oh, this mosquito can be especially dangerous for me, because I'm allergic to simple mosquito bites, and this is a special mosquito and I've never seen one before. This is actually a big problem for me because I like to walk near rivers, but I can't do it in the evening because there are a lot of mosquitoes there at this time. I also have a beautiful backyard garden and recently installed a fountain that runs on a solar panel. And you won't believe it, the fountain attracts a lot of mosquitoes, so I can't be there in the evenings. Thus, I decided to find a mosquito repellent that would solve this problem. If you can give me any advice, please do it. I need the best mosquito repellent for a yard like this one. But I want to know if it really works.

First, I don't want to assume anything.

Is your fountain of the recirculating variety?
Do birds frequently drink or bath in your foubtain?

Are you frequently entertaining guess or just sitting outside enjoying sitting outdoors?

What is the material of your fountain: cement/concrete, metalic, "polymer" compounds.

You can try chlorine tabs in the fountain, but if birds are drinking from it, the amount of chlorine must be considerably reduced to prevent unwanted killing of birds and may not be effective against mosquitoes.

For the yard:

There are various sprays, candles, smoldering, bug repellents that will temporarily repell mosquitoes and bugs. But this could become expensive and/or harmful to humans, environment, birds/wildlife, pets.

However, if used properly and according to directions, these products provide a temporary relief from nuisance bugs.

For personal use, permethrin, As directed. Is the best.

Of course, using a combination of these various repellents can be more effective on killing and repelling a variety of nuisance bugs.

Oh, this mosquito can be especially dangerous for me, because I'm allergic to simple mosquito bites, and this is a special mosquito and I've never seen one before. This is actually a big problem for me because I like to walk near rivers, but I can't do it in the evening because there are a lot of mosquitoes there at this time. I also have a beautiful backyard garden and recently installed a fountain that runs on a solar panel. And you won't believe it, the fountain attracts a lot of mosquitoes, so I can't be there in the evenings. Thus, I decided to find a mosquito repellent that would solve this problem. If you can give me any advice, please do it. I need the best mosquito repellent for a yard like this one. But I want to know if it really works.
Well, its not a mosquito so....

I saw one of these things in my closed-up garage about 2 weeks ago. I had gone out to take a bag of trash to the cans I keep there and noticed it sitting on the window ledge. I had never seen one before and was quite startled by its size. One thing was eery though - as I side stepped away from it, it turned and watched me by pivoting as I moved. It seemed VERY aware of me and was probably aware of me long before I saw it. I got to the door to my house and opened the garage door and watched it fly out. Once inside I searched and found it online. It might be coincidence that there were the last of the cicadas still buzzing; perhaps it was feeding on them. If so GOOD!

My dad called em “Bee Catchers”, that was his central Texas name for em.

Might be a killer hornet! Run!

They have been finding those giant Asian Hornets about 45 minutes north of me! I suppose they will eventually be all over the place if they don't nip it here.

Yes, the OP 's pic looks like a type of robbery fly to me also. They don't have a stinger. They commonly sit on the ground or an open branch and wait for prey insects to happen by. They catch them on the fly so to speak. I see them here all summer. They have never bothered me and I don't believe they mistake people for their dinner very often. :) They are beneficial and can be thought of as the Accipiters of the insect world. Feeding habits not too dissimilar from dragon flies- the major difference being dragon flies are mostly airborne when in search of favorite prey like gnats and mosquitos while robber flies sit and wait before taking flight to attack!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross