Wanted Mannlicher-Schoenauer In 458

As you may have noticed, I am not very active on this site. However, when M-S is discussed, I do pop in from time to time as I am a collector of MS rifles.

R.e. the 458 in MS - I have 2 of them the MC and MCA models. Both in excellent condition, especially the MC model which has only fired 4 shots and has a very nice stock. The previous owner bought the rifle with a pack of 20 softs and a pack of solids to shoot a buff. This never materialized and the rifle was sold to me after his death.

@SJN I am now a proud owner having purchased one from @Gert Odendaal of South Africa. It was quite the adventure (mostly for Gert) going through the export/import hoops. And now thanks to @JamesJ I've got some ammo tipped with Woodleighs on the way. Very much looking forward to shooting it. Old school is the best school, at least for me. :)

Hi Sourdough

Gert and I know each other quite well, as I reside in Pretoria and I followed his progress with the exporting process etc. Congratulations with your purchase and I trust you will be more than satisfied with the rife and its handeling.

Is this your first and only M'S?

@SJN yes this is my first MS. I’m a double rifle guy but was very impressed with what Richard Harland did with this gun and thought it would be fascinating to take at least a few of the Big 5 with it as earlier hunters had to switch to the 458 once Kynoch quit producing ammo. For a bolt gun it is crazy smooth. Gonna be fun I’m sure.

My M1910 will only take more than two cartridges if they are very close to original specifications.

I have read many accounts of those who have M1903 (6.5X54MS), M1905 (9x56MS), M1908 (8X56MS), and M1910 (9.5X57MS) which have the same limitation.

I'm strongly considering a 1903, so this is excellent information as I had no idea!

That is the way the M'S rotary mag was designed. Absolutely calibre specific and in later years it became one of the drawbacks of the M'S. Even smal conversions became hazardous because of the magazine design, such as converting the 6.5x54MS to any other 6.5 or the 8x56MS to the 8x57 Mauser or the 9x56MS to 9x57Mauser. And competent gunsmithing is required to ensure smooth feeding.

Also most M'S have a long free bore and with factory ammo the bullet is easily 5mm from the lands. Reloaders like to seat the bullet closer to the lands but this cannot be done in the M'S due to the tight magazine dimensions.

However, these tight tolerances all contributed to make the M'S the fantastic smooth and reliable rifle that it is and are only constrains to those who wish to alter this awesome fire arm.

@SJN yes this is my first MS. I’m a double rifle guy but was very impressed with what Richard Harland did with this gun and thought it would be fascinating to take at least a few of the Big 5 with it as earlier hunters had to switch to the 458 once Kynoch quit producing ammo. For a bolt gun it is crazy smooth. Gonna be fun I’m sure.
A piece of info that you might not be aware off.

The M'S Magnums were produced with 650mm = 25.6” barrels and when the factory were requested to shorten the barrel on the .458Win Mag they refused to do so as the long barrel ensured that the M'S was the only factory build rifle that could obtain the claimed velocity of the 500gr .458 bullet at the magic 2250ft/s. That was one of the reasons hy the 458 M'S obtained such a following with African hunters of yesteryear.

@SJN I was not aware of that. Interesting information. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caseycarpets

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.