WANTED: I'm looking For Zimbabwe Hunt In May 2024 Zambezi Valley/Matetsi...

Chris S.

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 5-7 day hunt in the Zambezi Valley or Matetsi area in May 2024. Top of my list are Kudu and nyala, could also be interested in eland, waterbuck, wildebeest. Cull hunting would also be of interest.

I never seen Nyala in Matetsi in the all years I hunted there. So Zambezi Valley would be a better choice.

The areas you are looking at don’t match your hunt description. You won’t find nyala or culling in either area. Most Zambezi valley hunts would be 10-14 days centered around a dangerous game animal and some plains game as opportunity arose. It’s not recognized as a great plainsgame area, especially in May. I have not been to matetsi, but it’s supposed to have quality plainsgame, but I’m not sure what the quota looks like in comparison to dangerous game. Many PHs might reserve their plainsgame quota to go along with those hunts until the end of the year. What you described is a quick hunt in South Africa. If you want to stick with Zimbabwe maybe look at bubye valley, save valley, or nuanetsi for nyala. I think most would mandate at least 7 days though.

I'm no Zim expert but I had similar thoughts as the others. The areas you mentioned don't seem to fit the bill.

Save Valley Zim comes to mind

Save Valley Conservancy. You will pay much more than the same bag in RSA, but you will hunt in one of the last great areas of true wild Africa.

Coutada 9 in Mozambique has incredible Kudu and great Nyala with huge amounts of plains game in general, the Duckworth's will treat you great, however May would be to early to go, way to thick

Nyala area of distribution according to Wikipedia.

1677799512211.png

As far as Zim, I saw several good nyala in the Bubye Valley Conservency when I was there ten years ago. The Save has some good ones. At SCI, I spoke with a couple of outfitters that sound like they’d fit your needs.
It looks like Mozambique would be another good option.
As others have said, RSA would be a good choice for a PG hunt… definitely less expensive.

We some some nice ones in the Save but Moz may be the best option for you, given your target animals. As suggested above, the Duckworth’s would be a great option.

One of the best plains games hunts ever for me was in KwaZulu Natal, along the Umkamaas River. Completely free range Nyala, good kudu, bushbuck, impala. I’m sure there are ranches around that offer wildebeest, etc. Drakenberg mountains, I believe. Did the Midlands Meander one day. Wife loved it.

Another vote for Coutada 9 and Duckworth’s Mokore Safaris. I did the almost exact hunt in 2014.

Reactions: WAB
And yet another vote for Mokore Safaris and Coutada 9, but May is probably not an option. It’s going to be thick and wet! You could certainly contact Neil Duckworth and discuss it with him, but I don’t think they start hunting in that are ‘til June or July due to water and mud.

@Chris S. Welcome to AH, You can learn a lot here. Best of luck.......FWB

Save Valley Conservancy. You will pay much more than the same bag in RSA, but you will hunt in one of the last great areas of true wild Africa.
Save has all those. Speak to Dalton McClintock.

Welcome to the forum. Zim is an awesome place to hunt and the Zambezi Valley and Matetsi are fantastic places specifically. You’re asking for a very short trip that would cost the same amount as a 14 day trip. You’re asking for species that don’t exist there or don’t have quota there. And there is no such thing as a cull hunt. It’s the government’s game and they charge as much for a one horned calf as a trophy kudu bull. Last point is timing, you’re saying 5-7 day hunt. It takes 5 days to get in and out of there and another 3 to recover from jet lag. 14-18 days is typical of those trips.

Zim is not RSA. Your costs are getting to Zim, not being in Zim. That’s why hunts are always longer in Zim. Plains game hunts in Zim versus elephant and leopard hunts are roughly the same price, all things considered. (Or at least darned close) A hunt in the Zambezi is going to be an $18,000-$35,000 hunt depending on what you hunt. Matetsi probably the same.

This is a great place to learn. Welcome once again.

I'm looking for a 5-7 day hunt in the Zambezi Valley or Matetsi area in May 2024. Top of my list are Kudu and nyala, could also be interested in eland, waterbuck, wildebeest. Cull hunting would also be of interest.

new member ?
a warm welcome first of all from me.
Tell something about yourself, please, or have I overlooked it, then please excuse.

My first impulse was, when I read your question, - he has never hunted in Africa.
Not bad if it would behave so.For tips this forum is there.
But I would turn with your wishes to the East Cape or Namibia.
If you want to hunt big game areas (in "Real Africa") you will pay higher prices than there.
In the Save Valley,nearby, I was there in November again, you will not get that in 5-7 days.
Also in May, where you can be happy to see an elephant in the bush at 50 meters.
And, as rookhawk and other said, not all the species you want live in the area.

Greetings from Munich and once again: welcome in the best forum.

Foxi

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!