Want To Buy Weatherby Mk V

Arthur Morta

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe
I am looking for a Weather Mk V actioned rifle with 378/ 460 bolt face. Overall condition (Barrel and Stock) does not need to brilliant, primarily need the action.
Preferably available in Zimbabwe.

Hi Arthur,

What are you planning to hunt with your rifle?
I would imagine it may be for a DG back up rifle?

Hi,
Yes Primarily as a back up, but personal preference is leaning towards a bolt rifle in .500.

Hi,
Yes Primarily as a back up, but personal preference is leaning towards a bolt rifle in .500.

May I suggest you look into either a Brno ZKK602 or CZ550 magnum action and then the 500 Jeffery or 505 Gibbs rather than the 500 A-square.

My personal preference is the 500 Jeffery loaded with 570 gr Rhino bullets either in solid shank expanding or meplat brass solid. Very efficient and effective cartridge.

Well Art,

I have a couple A-Square rifles in 500 and 577 and must admit that they kick pretty hard. I have never met anyone who has ever said that either was enjoyable to shoot and though that is true it is also true that when you hit something good with the right bullet it pretty much negates the idea and necessity of shooting that same creature again.

In the US there is always big caliber rifles like these for sale that many can be picked up reasonably. There is many a gun shop that won't even take them in as trade because it may tie their money up for years and they don't want to stock the ammo either as it's pricy.

The two Hannibals I purchased I believe that I got at less than 10 cents on the dollar with cases reloading equipment powder and bullets and that was quite a few years ago....and still it all sits waiting for me to croak or the right buyer. If I croak my son's will want them.

Though with the new craze on big bore powerful rifles in the US these days great deals are getting tougher to come by, they are still out there and can be found if you look hard enough.

Best of luck.

There's a double square bridge Brno 602 action for sale here in Australia, with the bolt face already opened up to suit the big Weatherby's on usedguns.com.au. Asking price is A$1100.o0' have to arrange export from here, and import into
Zim. That could be fun... S/No 13507. Owner's Lic No 59145 Phone No +61 362614728.
Good Luck, whatever you do.
P.s. I'd like to build a 450 Rigby or a 500J on this action.

There's a double square bridge Brno 602 action for sale here in Australia, with the bolt face already opened up to suit the big Weatherby's on usedguns.com.au. Asking price is A$1100.o0' have to arrange export from here, and import into
Zim. That could be fun... S/No 13507. Owner's Lic No 59145 Phone No +61 362614728.
Good Luck, whatever you do.
P.s. I'd like to build a 450 Rigby or a 500J on this action.
Thank You Geoff,
Half the work is done with the bolt face already opened, will have a look at the site.
Sure would be fun trying get the export permit from Aus, Zim import permit not that stiff.

Best of luck, Arthur. If you DO take it, that's another temptation lifted from my wallet, and my mind. :LOL:
Would you 'scope it, or go for good open, "Safari" sights? I'd go ghost ring peep and a decent white dot,
after all, we're looking at D/G, and the risks that entails.....

Best of luck, Arthur. If you DO take it, that's another temptation lifted from my wallet, and my mind.
Would you 'scope it, or go for good open, "Safari" sights? I'd go ghost ring peep and a decent white dot,
after all, we're looking at D/G, and the risks that entails.....
Once again thank you Geoff.
The build plan is to have open sights however it will be topped with a Vortex Razor Red dot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg