rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Well team,

My kids have been busy with a lot of outdoor pursuits and are trying to learn the art of gunsmithing along the way. I've dusted off a lifetime of tools and built a workshop to get the process started, but I'm still missing two key ingredients: vises.

If anyone has the following they'd part with, I'm in need. The ones on eBay are dodgy and missing parts or are bent, cracked, so I thought I'd ask here.

1.) A Bisley Vise. These were also sold by Walthar.

2.) A Columbian Gyro Vise.

3.) A Will-Burt Versa-Vise.

On #2 and #3, I'm well aware there are Chinese versions like the work fox, parrot, the new Versa-Vise, the Garrett-Wade, and the Yost. I'd really like to get two of these so my kids and I can work on projects together and I'd like it to be a used, first-world product. (USA or German as the case may be)

Thanks if you might have one to spare.

-Rookhawk

Have you looked at the Henry Gunvise.

Never heard of it, neither has Google. Do you have a link?
Howard's total Vise
Sorry. Has several models, one that is a Gunvise.

Howard's total Vise
Sorry. Has several models, one that is a Gunvise.

Thanks for the info. Not exactly what I'm looking for. I'd prefer to stick with my original shopping list:

1.) A Bisley Vise. These were also sold by Walthar and Brownells...all of them were made in Germany and relabled by various retailers.

2.) A Columbian Gyro Vise.

3.) A Will-Burt Versa-Vise.

On #2 and #3, I'm well aware there are Chinese versions like the work fox, parrot, the new Versa-Vise, the Garrett-Wade, and the Yost. I'd really like to get two of these so my kids and I can work on projects together and I'd like it to be a used, first-world product. (USA or German as the case may be)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 9.05.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 9.05.49 AM.png
    670.8 KB · Views: 57
@rookhawk , I've read many of your posts over the years. Like most of us, I thought you had several vices............:whistle:

Oh, just re-read your post and you are looking for a vise, not a vice.

I use a common yost vise with silicon inserts.. I've been able to accomplish everything I've wanted to do with it.. and really havent seen the need to invest in anything else as of yet..

Ive considered getting a Hyscore Armorers Vise.. they are affordable.. and offer some versatility that my "regular" vise doesnt.. but again, the yost hasnt failed me in any way so far.. so I have resisted the urge to add yet another something to the shop, which is already over crowded..

Ive got no personal experience with any of the three vises you are interested in...

For barrel and/or action work I've got a set of barrel inserts that an AH member machined for me (thanks @Shawn.54 !) and an action wrench that both work perfectly with the yost vise..

Im not a gunsmith by trade... I only tinker.. but I've built 5 rifles from the ground up (all mauser builds) as well as made some significant modifications to several other rifles.. using the above..

Would a Wilton of some stripe work?
For barrel removal, Larry D. Scott makes a good one.

https://greatscottshooters.com/product-category/barrel-vise/

@Hogpatrol the search is for a particular style of bench vise, not a barrel removal clamp/vise. Wilton never made such a vise when they existed in the first world, the Chicoms today masquerading as Wilton don't make one either.

@375 Ruger Fan indeed, I have many vices but not nearly enough vises. Eventually, my collection of vises will become yet another one of my vices though!

@mdwest I have looked at the Yost and I do have a modern Chinese made Will-Burt Versa Vise already. In this time of re-anchoring our values, I decided that I don't want to give any Chinese firm more of my business if I can help it. I'd like to support USA #1, and our best allies of Canada, UK, Germany, Norway, and Sweden with preferential treatment over anywhere else. That's forced me to look for vintage gunsmith's vises because they just don't make them like they used to.

1.) A Bisley Vise, often retailed as the "Parker-Hale Bisley Vise". These were also sold by Walther. All were made in England, then Germany.

2.) A Columbian Gyro Vise. These were made in Ohio, USA.

3.) A Will-Burt Versa-Vise. The older ones from 1950-1970 were made in Ohio, USA>

Maybe do a search on Craig's List?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 10.39.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 10.39.11 AM.png
    517.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 10.39.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 10.39.14 AM.png
    899 KB · Views: 50
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 10.39.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 10.39.16 AM.png
    485.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 10.39.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 10.39.19 AM.png
    559 KB · Views: 53
Gunbroker.com is another place to search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
propercapsules

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!