Walk across Africa

I now have a proper rifle for this sojourn. Couple years ago I happened on my LSA Enfield factory sporter, think Lee Speed in .303 British, (The Ghost and the Darkness) . Handy, lightweight, adequate power for most things and totally appropriate. What could be better?
I have even been buying and stashing factory 215 gr RN loads for it. They shoot great in this old rifle with its express sights.

I was reading the answers and unless I was mainly hunting elephant or Cape buffalo which I think is doubtful. I would take a simple Win Model 70 7x57.

.340 weatherby lh with a Nikon monarch aftrican in a good set of quick detach mounts.
I'd be awful sad leaving my double 28 gauge home though.

Without legal ramifications I would think a .340 would take buffalo? I've never hunted them perhaps someone could chime in who has experience with both .340s and buffs

Well for me it would depend on the context of the weapon and reason. Africa-legal hunting rifles? Custom Mauser 98 in either 9.3x62 or 8mm, if not an outright takedown model with both. 1880-vintage rifle? Toss-up between a Mauser 1871 and a Winchester '73. Any rifle at all? Well that's a tricky one but I think I'd pick a Para-FAL in 7.62 NATO because it's been-there-done-that in African biomes.

Well for me it would depend on the context of the weapon and reason. Africa-legal hunting rifles? Custom Mauser 98 in either 9.3x62 or 8mm, if not an outright takedown model with both. 1880-vintage rifle? Toss-up between a Mauser 1871 and a Winchester '73. Any rifle at all? Well that's a tricky one but I think I'd pick a Para-FAL in 7.62 NATO because it's been-there-done-that in African biomes.
The FAL is my second choice.

A .340 Weatherby is plenty for Cape buffalo.

Hum in 1880 an encounter with hostile locals or colonial powers would be a possibility right? So we want a gun for animal defense, fighting and hunting.

My choice would be a custom made 350 Remington Magnum. I would build a rifle similar to the Ruger Scout. Short barrelled with a 10 round magazine and several extras. Heavy loads for hunting and low recoil loads for small game/people.

For other logistics I'd bring along a minimum number of porters and make sure a couple spoke most of the local languages. Then travel light and fast to avoid problems.

The FAL is my second choice.
Well now I really think about it, I'd go with a HK417 over the FAL, especially with a suppressor and the benefit of an optic. But some kinda custom FAL would be a good alternative if I was gonna go that route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg