Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Hello chaps!!

This is one for all you Greener nerds out there. Were many made? Is it rare seeing as it has always been an NE and converted from a BPE? Its regulated with a 650grn pill but I think that should be ok for Buff. Anyway we will leave it there for now.

Thanks in advance

I have one a well known rifle in the NT. The "Fat Lady" Greener Empire conversion done by Rolph Bachnic. regulated with 650 woodleighs @ 1750fps. Works great on buff. Heres some pics
Ill. find more pics later
cheers Mick

94panX.jpg
oo62jX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mick...............those are great buff pics...and with a really great rifle. Was it a Greener Empire 12 ga coverted then? That is a super idea. They were such a strong shotgun. Was it difficult to get used to the safety on it? Show us a recovered bullet or two if you can. Thanks for posting................FWB

Well I can't speak to how rare they are or how many were made, but I've only seen this Greener double rifle one without actively going to look for one (and it's a BPE), so take that how you will:

Historically speaking, .577BPE was used on game up to and including elephant, but you say a conversion to the NE round? That oughta work all the better. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

As an added bonus fact, a pair of .577NE rifles were used during WWI as counter-sniper weapons against the Germans: Steel plates were used by the Germans to protect their snipers since the .303 British couldn't penetrate; the .577 had no trouble punching through the plates and the unfortunate snipers behind them.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 5.41.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 5.41.08 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 5.41.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 5.41.09 PM.png
    373 KB · Views: 84
I have one a well known rifle in the NT. The "Fat Lady" Greener Empire conversion done by Rolph Bachnic. regulated with 650 woodleighs @ 1750fps. Works great on buff. Heres some pics
Ill. find more pics later
cheers Mick

View attachment 415353View attachment 415354
Sweet!! Is that the 2 3/4 577? Also I wonder how Aussie buff stack up against Cape buff for toughness? Splendid looking rifle BTW.

Aaaah ......saw the bullet pic.........thanks............FWB

Hello chaps!!

This is one for all you Greener nerds out there. Were many made? Is it rare seeing as it has always been an NE and converted from a BPE? Its regulated with a 650grn pill but I think that should be ok for Buff. Anyway we will leave it there for now.

Thanks in advance
I have a French made 577 2 3/4 BPE reproofed for 650 gr at 1950 and it shoots great but to light. 8 1/2 lbs and kicks like hell!

I have been after a Top Lever Hammerless .577 LN - Light Nitro or Nitro for black or even a BPE = Black Powder Express for years & keep missing the darn things.

If you know of one & don't want to pursue it please pass on the details to me, I would be grateful ?

I have seen more than a few Greener .577 LN/BPE Hammless Doubles, possible the most from that maker & one of the members here has or had one that I know of.

On the Buffalo, I have guided on both & shot hundreds of Water Buffalo, in the areas & Bulls I have shot I think the Water Buffalo is a Tougher animal (both super tough) but even on them it depends where as I have found Coastal Bulls harder to stop than inland.

Could be food source, (bit like Grizzly vs Brown Bears) as some of the Cape Bulls we shot in the drought areas could of been killed with a 30/06 no trouble, still mean & kill you how ever !

Last edited:
I have been after a Top Lever Hammerless .577 LN - Light Nitro or Nitro for black or even a BPE = Black Powder Express for years & keep missing the darn things.

If you know of one & don't want to pursue it please pass on the details to me, I would be grateful ?

I have seen more than a few Greener .577 LN/BPE Hammless Doubles, possible the most from that maker & one of the members here has or had one that I know of.

On the Buffalo, I have guided on both & shot hundreds of Water Buffalo, in the areas & Bulls I have shot I think the Water Buffalo is a Tougher animal (both super tough) but even on them it depends where as I have found Coastal Bulls harder to stop than inland.

Could be food source, (bit like Grizzly vs Brown Bears) as some of the Cape Bulls we shot in the drought areas could of been killed with a 30/06 no trouble, still mean & kill you how ever !
I'm also eyeing up a 470ne so depending on what happens with that will depend on if I go for the 577. But if I don't I'll send you the details.

Based on what you have said it should be fin for Cape buffalo

Heres some projectiles woodleighs 650 gr 1750 nice mushroom , 650gr 1850 won't open as good at 1750fps, and 650 FMJ
Most out of buff bulls and scrubbers
auWhmq.jpg

lCiK7D.jpg

"fat lady"
oUrUXm.jpg

bit of recoil
PVEKfE.jpg

going
DABaUy.jpg

aPYmCC.jpg

viZbvm.jpg

2x felt wads
wNB6F0.jpg
axr7Vk.jpg

@264 I know woodleigh make a 577 bpe bullet that is engineered to open up slower and the the nitro ones that open up better at a faster velocity. Which ones do you use and does your rifle regulate ok slower?

577 BP express .585 650 gr # 5 which is made for 1700-2000 fps works the best in my greener. as I'm running around 1750 fps. used the other woodleighs as well but running them out and staying with the #5's.
yOBtoU.jpg

Would a bullet of that mass and construction put down a cape buff at that speed?? That is the golden question for me

Ive had no problems with the #5 woodleighs on water buff.

Well I can't speak to how rare they are or how many were made, but I've only seen this Greener double rifle one without actively going to look for one (and it's a BPE), so take that how you will:

Historically speaking, .577BPE was used on game up to and including elephant, but you say a conversion to the NE round? That oughta work all the better. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

As an added bonus fact, a pair of .577NE rifles were used during WWI as counter-sniper weapons against the Germans: Steel plates were used by the Germans to protect their snipers since the .303 British couldn't penetrate; the .577 had no trouble punching through the plates and the unfortunate snipers behind them.

.333, .404,.416,.450 and many others used as such also. The Brit wa office bought a good number of Jeffery Mausers in .333 for such use.

Hesketh Pritchard wrote about it in use via his sniper school and ops in France.

Just to mention it ,the NE borrowed many a idea to further study and it was introduced to many who had no experience about them also then.

Did some TKO number on the 577 and its one impressive round

Norfolk:
It is fine with me if you'd like to publish my reply to your PM about the .577 2 3/4. If you are looking for a .577 bpe PM me as I have an outstanding Manton, cased with accessories, and a history of the original owner. My rifle is for a 3" case and 6 drams.

.333, .404,.416,.450 and many others used as such also. The Brit wa office bought a good number of Jeffery Mausers in .333 for such use.

Hesketh Pritchard wrote about it in use via his sniper school and ops in France.

Just to mention it ,the NE borrowed many a idea to further study and it was introduced to many who had no experience about them also then.
I recall reading about some rifles the Brits used as anti-zeppelin weapons, but I've forgotten exactly what they were. And that one fellow shot down multiple Albatros fighters with a .450 Nitro double-rifle.

Norfolk:
It is fine with me if you'd like to publish my reply to your PM about the .577 2 3/4. If you are looking for a .577 bpe PM me as I have an outstanding Manton, cased with accessories, and a history of the original owner. My rifle is for a 3" case and 6 drams.
Is it on your website Cal?? Also might it take a light nitro load?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcbuyerapp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,