W.J. Jeffery back in business!

Thanks spike.t, I have joined the forum here (finally. missed the confirmation link! )and happy to see the interest in Jeffery rifles. Also happy to say the web site is now up for all to see the new limited edition rifles. Thanks for the interest!
Welcome to the forum.

Glad you have gotten your website up.

All the best in this new endeavor!

Is this the website?

Very Beautiful Rifles!
Yes, for some reason I wasnt able to put the link in my post? It got blocked? Thank you for the link!

Not wishing to be a contrarian, BUT …. I’m just not that impressed with the look of these *new* Jeffery rifles. They look, for lack of a better word, “Americanized” rather than carrying on something of the esthetic tradition of the classic British-made African DG rifles.

In particular the primacy of the receiver design is for mounting a scope, not shooting with the iron-sights. The front “ramp” sight looks like the cheap sort you’d find on any garden variety Remington 700 at Walmart, not the elegant barrel-banded front sight found on DGRs built in the Old School tradition.

The “new” Jeffrey .404:
87ED6454-C512-44DB-8FA5-4BA20074B127.jpeg

Compare it to a recent re-do of a .425 WR. The fineness of the BB front sight aside, note how svelte the .425’s stock is:
CD4DFDED-DF06-4C20-829C-C2F88809156B.jpeg

Or perhaps a custom AHR-built .404 on a CZ 550 action … Note the traditional BB front sight:
66B61850-CC16-4A38-89B1-C35BDC457174.jpeg

F1F67E04-8653-495C-BDDF-4C1D6D57C7FD.jpeg

Here’s a Lon Paul custom 375 H&H BRNO 602:
F93144E2-601A-4DB6-8F75-FF51E5C9B95B.jpeg

For a Jeffrey .404 priced in the 5-figures range, I would’ve expected it to carry more traditionalist “ooomph.”

:unsure:

Last edited:
No London gunmaker can consider itself in the premier league until it offers for sale a Chinese-made baseball cap emblazoned with its own name and logo.
You mean like this one??

The front “ramp” sight looks like the cheap sort you’d find on any garden variety Remington 700 at Walmart, not the elegant barrel-banded front sight found on DGRs built in the Old School tradition.
The Rigbys didn't have banded front sights or banded sling studs and they're as Classic English old school as bolt actions get.......just sayin

I'm sorry you dont like the rifles. The square bridges on the action are traditionaly for scope mounting or a receiver peep and are designed to be able to use the open sights. Best rifles were made with commercial not military actions. The ramp foresight is an exact copy of an original best rifle. Some rifles were made back in the day with barrel bands which is a cheaper easier gunsmithing operation. Jeffery had rifles made by several different makers. The dimensions of the stocks are taken from original rifles although the comb of the .404 as raised a bit for scope use. The quality and finish are to a much higher standard than the original rifles. The response from those who have seen and handled the rifles has all been positive so far.

No London gunmaker can consider itself in the premier league until it offers for sale a Chinese-made baseball cap emblazoned with its own name and logo.
I had better get on the phone to China!

The Rigbys didn't have banded front sights or banded sling studs and they're as Classic English old school as bolt actions get.......just sayin
Was talking mainly about Jeffrey-built rifles, and yes many did have banded front sights.

From Jeffrey’s 1912 catalogue, the 404 rifle …. Note the barrel-banded front sight.

590D1D5A-BE72-4EF5-99AC-D506B7A1FA1D.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm sorry you dont like the rifles. The square bridges on the action are traditionally for scope mounting or a receiver peep and are designed to be able to use the open sights. Best rifles were made with commercial not military actions. The ramp foresight is an exact copy of an original best rifle. Some rifles were made back in the day with barrel bands which is a cheaper easier gunsmithing operation. Jeffery had rifles made by several different makers. The dimensions of the stocks are taken from original rifles although the comb of the .404 as raised a bit for scope use. The quality and finish are to a much higher standard than the original rifles. The response from those who have seen and handled the rifles has all been positive so far.
“Don’t like” is a stronger inference than what I said, or intended. They just appear different than what I was expecting from a re-do of the 404 and 500 Jeffrey line. So maybe not what I’d want personally although an integral aperture on the rear receiver (like the “pop-up peep” on the older BRNO 602s) would be a great feature for those who wanted the option of iron-sight hunting.

That said, I’m sure they’ll be great rifles and will sell well.

“Don’t like” is a stronger inference than what I said, or intended. They just appear different than what I was expecting from a re-do of the 404 and 500 Jeffrey line. So maybe not what I’d want personally although an integral aperture on the rear receiver (like the “pop-up peep” on the older BRNO 602s) would be a great feature for those who wanted the option of iron-sight hunting.

That said, I’m sure they’ll be great rifles and will sell well.

If one shows up under my Christmas tree I sure won’t be sending it back! They look fantastic to me. Perhaps not to the iteration you prefer, but they are consistent to the pattern of many period London best rifles.

W.J. Jeffery had two rifles at DSC. The 404J and the 500J were both in production. A 333J is not in the immediate plans. Both rifles had price tags in the mid five figures. The business model of Jeffery hasn't changed much since the manufacture of the rifles are being contracted out through a third party.

The website was not complete before the show. Hopefully it will be ready in a few weeks.
I have a 404 Jeffery rifle with "WJ Jeffery"stamped on the barrel as well as the address. I can't find out any credible information about the rifle. I know for sure it was built in the latter years vs the earlier years. By reading these posts the "Jeffery" name was apparently used by a few different rifle makers. I suspect my rifle was made by one of them. Can anyone help me with contacting someone who is familiar with the history of the Jeffery rifles?

I have a 404 Jeffery rifle with "WJ Jeffery"stamped on the barrel as well as the address. I can't find out any credible information about the rifle. I know for sure it was built in the latter years vs the earlier years. By reading these posts the "Jeffery" name was apparently used by a few different rifle makers. I suspect my rifle was made by one of them. Can anyone help me with contacting someone who is familiar with the history of the Jeffery rifles?

At some points, Jeffery subcontracted out construction of rifles. Jeffery however always marketed the rifles under their own name.

I have lost contact with the people that have the Jeffery ledgers. It is my understanding that only the manufacturing ledger remains and that the marketing ledger has been missing for many years.

At DSC, I was told that the Jeffery ledger is going to be made public and put on the www. You might contact @Jackman or try to contact https://www.wjjeffery.com/ and ask about researching the ledgers or other history.

Hope you find what you want. Please share if you are successful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you