Verney Carron .500

Lang finished 001.jpg 470 001.jpg

hi paul there are some before and after pics of my .470 lang. i bought it from paul roberts as it was being restocked and the metal work refinished.

Spike, it's probably a good thing that we handle our guns MUCH better than we are able to handle our p.c's !!!

None-the-less I can tell from the two pics that DID come through that the refurb job was done to a very high standard of finish.
I've heard and read much about the quality smithing work done by Paul roberts and co and would expect nothing less.

That old/new Lang of your looks as though she's ready for many more days afeild.

Personally, for my own use in a very humid and tropical environment, I would have been quite happy with her in the original condition, lesssening my concerns of wear and tear with constant use, as long as she shot straight and true.

I reccomend you consider and look into the C.E.B range of double bullets.
Bore riders (less barrel strain and slightly better vels), mono-metal brass solids and non-conventional hollow points currently doing some amazing work in the hunting feilds.

Thanks for sharing those images.

Paul.

paul couldnt you open the images in the follow on post as i can? i dont mind a bit of wear and tear on my rifles as long as i put it there! i like the slightly used look.

No Spike, those attachments are coming up as invalid when I click on them and they won't open up.

Please keep trying, I'd like to see the range of before and after. It gives me some hope that after some time of use (bordering on abuse) in my hands that a double can be restored to its former glory.

As mentioned I actually don't mind, almost prefer, a firearm that displays "feild-time".
Gives them that real work-horse look.

What about that Lang then ? (what year of make is it ?).
What are you shooting through it ?
What does it weigh (I'm partially obsessed with rifle carry weight !) ?
What length tubes ? (have you chrony'd loads through it).

If V.C had said that they could absolutely NOT bring a .500 under finished weight of 11lbs I was going to go with a .470 of 10 lbs.

Cheers,
Paul.

hey paul i was wondering if your rifle is with you or heading your way, and when do you head for the bush to start your season?

Unfortunately no Spike, it wont make it for this current season.

I'll be heading up to camp in the next couple of weeks, so the double hasn't made it in time for this season.
In all fairness, the good gents at V.C did say that they would be hard pressed to get it in time for me as it was ordered at the Dallas convention in Jan giving them only 6 months to build, which is marginal (do-able, but marginal).

So it will have to be for next year.

Still, I have waited for 45 years for this moment, another season won't kill me (we'll I certainly hope it doesn't !!!!!!!!!).

Cheers,

Paul.

I've had two new bolt guns to prep, build-up loads for and get familiar with which has kept me distracted this passed off-season and it's been fun.
I'm really looking forward to getting out with these two new rifles this year and getting some runs on the board with them, but yes the double has been in the back of my mind the entire time.

I secretly hoped that it would make it for this season but it hasn't.
So when I get back there'll be another intense period of load testing, regulating, sighting and familiarity.
I've already begun collecting components and also have 60 factory loads to start of with and make some noise down the range with.

It's all good fun.

Thanks for the well wishes.

Best regards,

Paul.

As an up-date to this thread, I have just been notified by the importer that my V.C double is expected to arrive in the next week or so !

HAPPY DAYS !!!

Well, after dreaming about it for half a lifetime, saving for it for another lifetime and waiting 10 months for the build I finally picked it up today !

Initial impressions exceeded my expectations.

The quality of wood used is quite impressive, fit and finish outstanding, excecution of both engraving and checkering is at very least excellent.

Finished weight; 10.7 lbs, balanced very well "between the hands".

Over-all standard of workmanship is outstanding.

Regulation target supplied, fired with Hornady factory ammo as requested, shows left and right horizontally level with the aiming point and just on an inch apart at 50 meters (not yards).

I will post some pics over the coming week-end.

Cheers,

Paul.

Thanks Spike.

I want to do V.C and the gun justice by taking my time and taking some nice pics that reflect the workmanship so please bare with me for a couple of days.

Not quite sure as to when I'll get the chance to shoot it as everything is quite rushed here at the momnet as we prepare for Dallas.

I really don't know how it will appeal to others as I requested a few "non-conventional" personal touches, but to me the rifle is exquisite to look at and handles like a dream.

Check back in about two or three days and I'll have some pics up.

Cheers,

Paul.

Thanks Spike.

I want to do V.C and the gun justice by taking my time and taking some nice pics that reflect the workmanship so please bare with me for a couple of days.

Not quite sure as to when I'll get the chance to shoot it as everything is quite rushed here at the momnet as we prepare for Dallas.

I really don't know how it will appeal to others as I requested a few "non-conventional" personal touches, but to me the rifle is exquisite to look at and handles like a dream.

Check back in about two or three days and I'll have some pics up.

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul, finally caught up with this thread. Congrats on that rifle. Were I in the business, and were I to have to be responsible for backup, then I would forego a lot for a double in .500. I have several friends with VC's and to a man, they love them (one has an interesting little one in 30-30 of all things - he is a neighbor here in the Blue Ridge and he wages war on the whitetails invading his back forty - says it is also perfect for stopping enraged racoons :) ). I also like the idea of making it light as you can stand it. You are going to be married to that rifle for a lot of miles between shots - that said, I don't think I would touch it off while seated at a range bench! Look forward to hearing out it shoots. Safe trip to Dallas.

Well I guess I discovered today that taking pictures of guns isn't as easy and straight forward as I thought.

I really wanted to try and do a good job of it not to show off but to highlight the quality fo workmanship produced by the V.C factory.

Anyhow, I'll post what i've got and hopefully you'll get the drift.
PA310546.jpgPA310538.jpgPA310553.jpgPA310542.jpgPA310557.jpg

Hello,
I am living close to Verney Carron, if I can help you?

L'Atelier Verney-Carron : Fine Guns

bebo, appreciate your offer of assistance but it is not required;
unless ofcourse you would like to donate to my saving fund for my Elephant hunt :).

Good health and good hunting to you Sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elkreaper17

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois