Varied terrain in different countries

You mentioned Mozambique… likening it to swampy parts of SE US? :) I can assure you only the delta or swampy parts of Mozambique are like that. Other parts can be rough as a cob with interlaced dry rocky river beds with thick scrub and woodland mixed within large rock kopjes. RSA has widely varied vegetation and terrain types. Much of Zimbabwe and Zambia (away from the wetlands) are mixed terrain with some heavy woodland and large expanses of scrub/woodland dotted with rock kopjes especially in parts of Zimbabwe. Botswana, especially the southern areas of the Central Kalahari, are relatively flat with vast areas of Kalahari sand mixed with scrub. There is no comparison between the fine, ancient sand of the Kalahari and most other hard scrabble rocky areas of southern Africa.

Much of the dry scrub area in all parts of commonly hunted southern Africa has thorns, both hooked and straight :) Knock yourself out if considering flip flops or sandals and shorts as “proper” footwear and clothing for hunting :)

Where to go first time PG hunt? Most go to RSA or Namibia I think. My favorite is Botswana, but that is me and not necessarily any one else’s. It’s a very subjective call.

Pic shows some typical expanse in south central Zimbabwe- thick scrubby woodland dotted with rock kopjes.


I see why the african hunters go for the leather or canvas gaiters just looking at that scrub looks like it'll chew up regular nylon hiking gaiters....so take the infantry mentality and be ready to hump over ANYTHING....I LOVE IT....thank you guys so much
 
Just because you mentioned Mozambique. I haven’t visited Mozambique yet but it is on my list. I’d advise against Mozambique for a first safari if costs are a concern. South Africa, Namibia, and Zimbabwe are much more consistent on costs and easier travel to those countries. There are very unique landscapes in all of them. Namibia and South Africa have the largest amount of plains game available.
Very flat-ish, very sandy in places like Botswana. Most of the country sits at about 100m above sea level. Some huge dunes on the beach tho. Those pics above are fantastic.
Lorenzo Marques now Maputo used to be the goto place for South Africans. Back in the 70s we had a radio station called LM Radio (LM stands for Lorenzo Marques of course) broadcast into South Africa and Rhodesia from there. Great holiday spot, much like Cancun for Americans but with less night life. Cops need greasing if you don't belong to an auto org with big stickers on your car, little kids come out of nowhere to help you push your vehicle if you get stuck, for a fee. Had some Islamic extremists infiltrate from the North just recently with rumors of a Chinese temporary base set up somewhere North as well. This is all from memory. I'm sure someone here from Botswana can correct me if I'm wrong.
 
Very flat-ish, very sandy in places like Botswana. Most of the country sits at about 100m above sea level. Some huge dunes on the beach tho. Those pics above are fantastic.
Lorenzo Marques now Maputo used to be the goto place for South Africans. Back in the 70s we had a radio station called LM Radio (LM stands for Lorenzo Marques of course) broadcast into South Africa and Rhodesia from there. Great holiday spot, much like Cancun for Americans but with less night life. Cops need greasing if you don't belong to an auto org with big stickers on your car, little kids come out of nowhere to help you push your vehicle if you get stuck, for a fee. Had some Islamic extremists infiltrate from the North just recently with rumors of a Chinese temporary base set up somewhere North as well. This is all from memory. I'm sure someone here from Botswana can correct me if I'm wrong.

1730373361332.png
 
Very flat-ish, very sandy in places like Botswana. Most of the country sits at about 100m above sea level. Some huge dunes on the beach tho. Those pics above are fantastic.
Lorenzo Marques now Maputo used to be the goto place for South Africans. Back in the 70s we had a radio station called LM Radio (LM stands for Lorenzo Marques of course) broadcast into South Africa and Rhodesia from there. Great holiday spot, much like Cancun for Americans but with less night life. Cops need greasing if you don't belong to an auto org with big stickers on your car, little kids come out of nowhere to help you push your vehicle if you get stuck, for a fee. Had some Islamic extremists infiltrate from the North just recently with rumors of a Chinese temporary base set up somewhere North as well. This is all from memory. I'm sure someone here from Botswana can correct me if I'm wrong.
Wow...cold War Africa lol
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,281
Messages
1,571,532
Members
169,370
Latest member
RustyBinns
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top