Value of .416 John Rigby 1924 Model

erf046

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
I have by accident stumbled across the above mentioned rifle, its confirmed that its a 1924 model and highly sought after, presumambly. I know the amount of knowledge here, so please feel free to comment. Photos attahed.
IMG_5315.JPG
IMG_5314.JPG
IMG_5311.JPG

Beautiful rifle. As I love encouraging others to spend their money on good things, you NEED this rifle. :LOL: Give the fine folks at Rigby a shout and they will be glad to pass on any info they may have on this fine rifle.

Safe hunting

Beautiful rifle. As I love encouraging others to spend their money on good things, you NEED this rifle. :LOL: Give the fine folks at Rigby a shout and they will be glad to pass on any info they may have on this fine rifle.

Safe hunting

Agreed, Rigby is very responsive. Give them a shout.

looks like Brno action, sure 1924?

Yup not a mauser action, and it should have the flag type safety...stock also not looking correct for one of the original 416 rigbys....plus other things not correct...here is a photo of an original one...looks nothing like that one..

IMG-20230828-WA0003.jpg

Last edited:
That stock is not that of a pre-war Rigby. They did not have a fore-end tip or cheekpiece.

There is no flag safety, instead a safety and bolt shroud very reminiscent of a Brno ZKK602. My guess is a post 1950’s rifle on a Brno action tat had the front dovetail filed to a round receiver top, and the rear dovetail converted to resemble a single square bridge. This also explains the solid left sidewall, withe the lack of a thumb hole in.

Definitely looks like a brno action and possibly from early 1970s. Still a very nice rifle indeed.

That looks like a custom rifle. It's made on a Brno 602 action, which was used during the Paul Roberts era and certainly wasn't available in the 1920's. Pre-war Rigby's also didn't have a cheekpiece. For 1924, the serial number should be in the 4850-5000 range.

It may (may...) be a Jurie Majoor special from the 1980's, but I doubt it. That's a nice rifle, but it's no original Rigby. Not English chequering on the stock, either. If it was from 1924 and untouched, it would have had mullered borders and would have been flat-top.

The modified 602 action is a dead giveaway for me. Custom job. I've seen a number of custom .416's come out of South Africa with the name "Rigby" on them...

Also came across this. Thank you for the valuable input, this is really interesting to see the wealth of knowledge.
1693265101834.png

The closest one I have to that is 4909. It’s a 350 Rigby Magnum on a magnum square bridge action. All the feedback here is spot on. This may be a great rifle, but its not a pre-war Rigby.

How was it confirmed it was 1924 vintage? SN alone? I think the answer will change if you can get pictures to Rigby.
I did send them photos, I will post their reply also, might be that the person that received it never opened them and just went on the serial number.

Several things look out of place as noted by the folks above. Also, the bottom metal does not appear to be correct - but it's hard to tell. I'll posit that it is a BRNO 602 action as other have mentioned already.

All that said, it is a beautiful rifle in immaculate condition if it is indeed closing in on 100 years old.

Also came across this. Thank you for the valuable input, this is really interesting to see the wealth of knowledge.
View attachment 553853
I have a factory 1972 Brno in 416 Rigby, double square bridge with peep, with all matching numbers. It was around this time I believe Rigby was using the brno action for there big game rifles. The rifle you have may well be one of the barreled actions Rigby used at the time.

Dear Gerrie,

Of course, we have the following information:

SN:4953

Action Number: 3151

August 8th 1924

26in. barrel

14 3/4in. stock

10lb.

Mauser Sporting Big Game

Sold to Lawn & Alder

What sort of condition is the rifle in?

Best

Max Quigley

JOHN RIGBY & Co. (Gunmakers) LTD
13-19 PENSBURY PLACE
LONDON SW8 4TP
UNITED KINGDOM
TEL. +44 (0)207 720 0757

MOB. +44 (0)7415 773 690
RFD 02/7384 Met Police

www.johnrigbyandco.com

Dear Gerrie,

August 8th 1924

26in. barrel

14 3/4in. stock

10lb.

Mauser Sporting Big Game

Sold to Lawn & Alder

Best

Max Quigley

13-19 PENSBURY PLACE
LONDON SW8 4TP
UNITED KINGDOM
TEL. +44 (0)207 720 0757

MOB. +44 (0)7415 773 690
RFD 02/7384 Met Police

www.johnrigbyandco.com
My problem with the above response email from them, although the barrel serial number corresponds, the action serial number cannot be verified, so I would reckon all the comments justified.

Dear Gerrie,

August 8th 1924

26in. barrel

14 3/4in. stock

10lb.

Mauser Sporting Big Game

Sold to Lawn & Alder

Best

Max Quigley

13-19 PENSBURY PLACE
LONDON SW8 4TP
UNITED KINGDOM
TEL. +44 (0)207 720 0757

MOB. +44 (0)7415 773 690
RFD 02/7384 Met Police

www.johnrigbyandco.com

Did you send them pictures?

That is a Brno ZKK602 action. They were designed after the ZG47, which saw the end of its production in the early 60’s. The ZKKs were first manufactured in 1966. That rifle was categorically not made in 1924.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandadelhiaerocity

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.