Using .452 bullets for 458 win mag practice

CJW

AH legend
Joined
Nov 18, 2018
Messages
2,515
Reaction score
5,710
Media
11
Articles
1
I'm thinking of trying .452 pistol bullets in my 458 win mag for practice since I can get my hands on them for now. These loads will merely be for practice at 50 yds or closer. Are there any negative affects and how much will accuracy be affected? I don't care if they're 2 or 3" groups as again it's just practice to get more acquainted to the rifle but if they're going to throw big patterns I'd rather pass.

Anyone have any experience with this or similar experiences in other calibers?

Thanks
 
Why not use 45/70 bullets as they are cheap and .458 calibre
 
Interesting.

Lower the velocity and using a patch (ie. properly sized sabot of some sort).
Then in small powder weight increments increase powder weight/velocity.

You may discover a "Quigley Down Under" cartridge/(re)load for the 458 WM/Lott accurate and powerful enough to hunt southeastern whitetails, varmints, without destroying/damaging a lot of meat/hide.
 
I’ve considered the same thing with .452 muzzle loader bullets and my 45-70.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,301
Messages
1,571,053
Members
169,096
Latest member
EliseCream
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top