Unintended Meetings with a Big 5 in the Bushveld?

When I go walkabout here in Namibia,there are always four items,excluding the day-packs, that are double checked.My .375 with 250gr Sierra's,300gr African Elite's and 286gr PMP Solid's.My Pardner 12 gauge pump with snake shot,buck shot and slugs.My Colt Python .357 and my satellite phone.

It is my humble opinion,from personal experience,that the nastiest encounters that you could possibly have-ANYWHERE in Southern Africa-is with two types of bastards that hide,are deadly,and that don't back off...Puff adders and Poachers..!

In some of the larger game Reserves of the RSA you will find the big 5.

I was in MKuze Falls PGR last year and saw them all, amazingly, you can get quite close to most of them, on a vehicle, and they will just igore you. I said most as we were close to being charged by a lioness and a bull elephant.

As for snakes, if you go there in the winter, you shouln d worry.

Anyway, your PH knows what to do at all times, just follow his instructions.

Absolutely agree with Jacques and in my opinion should be obligatory for a PH to carry his rifle. Safety for both, client and PH. Are we talking about wild animals are not we?

Very useful information Jacques, thanks.

Question: I've seen some places claim that their hunting season is year round, others note seasons, but they're pretty long. I'm not sure what is what and don't see much of this kind of information on the websites. Could you please give me the 'skinny' (facts) on hunting down there?

Is there a time of year when hunting is NOT allowed? If so, when is this? Also, I understand from some hunters I would want to avoid the rainy season, which was described as being from March through mid-May, because it makes the trip miserable, or at least difficult.

Also, I know enough about the world to realize your seasons are opposite ours down there on the "wrong side of the globe." I'm kidding you obviously! ; )

But really, I'd like to know when the real hot seasons are -- my wife would not like 110 degree (F) weather. And when it's really cold. I'd rather look to book when it's not too hot, but not freezing out at night either. IF that's doable. Thanks.

Really? Puff adders are that aggressive? LOL!

Very useful information Jacques, thanks.

Question: I've seen some places claim that their hunting season is year round, others note seasons, but they're pretty long. I'm not sure what is what and don't see much of this kind of information on the websites. Could you please give me the 'skinny' (facts) on hunting down there?

Is there a time of year when hunting is NOT allowed? If so, when is this? Also, I understand from some hunters I would want to avoid the rainy season, which was described as being from March through mid-May, because it makes the trip miserable, or at least difficult.

Also, I know enough about the world to realize your seasons are opposite ours down there on the "wrong side of the globe." I'm kidding you obviously! ; )

But really, I'd like to know when the real hot seasons are -- my wife would not like 110 degree (F) weather. And when it's really cold. I'd rather look to book when it's not too hot, but not freezing out at night either. IF that's doable. Thanks.

ILCAPO,

Usually countries like Botswana, Zambia etc. has seasons that they can hunt in. In South Africa where most ranches is fenced we do get permits to hunt year round. But we do have times during the year that is better for hunting.

My personal opinion is that the best time to come to Africa to hunt is from May through to the end of August. It is our winter time, the brush are not as thick as it would be in summer (rainy season) time and in the early months like May and June most of our animals are in the rut which makes it a little easier finding the bigger bulls that is usually hiding in thick stuff alone. Our rainy season starts middle September through to early April the folowing year.

It can be quite cool during the mornings and through the evenings but warms up through the day. Oh and during the night you do not have to worry about getting cold, all the chalets have AC in which warms it up to be very comfortable. See the photo attached. The best time for the weather you are looking at in my opinion would be May or August and early September.

Please do not hesitate to ask any questions you may have on your mind.

Best regards,

Jacques

Attachments

• DSC_7272.jpg
    DSC_7272.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 128
I prefer the end of September, early October, the end of the hunting season, no problems with booking flights, less hunters, good temperatures, better deals :satisfied:

Wonderful! Thanks so much. Sounds like I could incorporate this with a Memorial Day or Labor Day weekend to allow us to have an extra day of vacation tagged to the trip.

How about game? Haven't a lot of the good game been taken by then or is there still plenty of mature animals to go around?

A well managed ranch will always have game available...the last thing you want to do is shoot out everything. Plus some places have so much bush and cover that unless hunted to death...there will be game and usually lots of it.

One should always be prepared , but for the most part you are safe. I did encounter Buffalo & Rhino on a certain property hunting for Water buck. We did run across a fresh baby Wildebeest kill with leopard tracks around it. Snakes & ticks are prevalent at certain times. It's Africa you never know what is lurking around the next corner,there could always be a leopard on any property so be prepared!!

One should always be prepared , but for the most part you are safe. I did encounter Buffalo & Rhino on a certain property hunting for Water buck. We did run across a fresh baby Wildebeest kill with leopard tracks around it. Snakes & ticks are prevalent at certain times. It's Africa you never know what is lurking around the next corner,there could always be a leopard on any property so be prepared!!

Again, good to know! Thanks. :samurai:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.