Tuskless Elephant Hunt - What to ship home?

frog stealer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
All, I got my plains game hunt fix a few years ago, now it's time to start planning my first dangerous game Safari. Looks like a buffalo/tuskless elephant is within my price range. Other than the experience, I'm wondering what people can have shipped home as a reminder of a tuskless hunt. Any ideas?

All, I got my plains game hunt fix a few years ago, now it's time to start planning my first dangerous game Safari. Looks like a buffalo/tuskless elephant is within my price range. Other than the experience, I'm wondering what people can have shipped home as a reminder of a tuskless hunt. Any ideas?
Most Tuskless are nonexportable. You need to be certain it is exportable then you could take some skin home.

If you can export anything, some stools made from the feet and also the tail would be good to have made/bring back

Photos of everything- not just a dead elephant. You might ask your PH if anyone in his camp or area makes elephant hair bracelets, axes, bows, or other local crafts. If it were me- I'd trade the tail for finished bracelets or other unique local crafts made by the locals. Other than that, IMO, the best to bring home would be the memory and the photos.

If you can export I would add to the suggestions of @reedy0312 and say bring the ears back.

Thanks all...I'll try to bring back what I can...I originally thought only ivory wasn't exportable to the US, but it sounds like it's everything, bummer! Maybe I'll go after Hippo or Croc instead. Leopard would be nice but that would exceed my budget, or I'd have to delay going back even longer!

@frog stealer ,

The ivory depends on the country. As of now Namibia and South Africa are exportable to the US

.... as a reminder of a tuskless hunt. Any ideas?

I'll let you know in about a month.;)

I made my own knife from scratch inspired by Van Gruff's posts here to take along. If I get lucky it'll claim a tail and will get to remember that sitting on my shelf. Just finishing it up.

Put hunt together quick in last few weeks as end of season special.

Will they let you even bring back an elephant hair bracelet? I can't remember how strict everything is regarding the smaller stuff.

One thing you might look into is having your hunt filmed. Lots of African companies offering that now and from footage I've seen, some of the best camera work out there.

Will they let you even bring back an elephant hair bracelet? I can't remember how strict everything is regarding the smaller stuff.

One thing you might look into is having your hunt filmed. Lots of African companies offering that now and from footage I've seen, some of the best camera work out there.

Now that's a good idea!

For 2018 season we can offer buffalo non exportable non trophy (tuskless)elephant at reasonable prices we have croc and hippo hunting from our lodge on lake kariba air conditioned rooms as well as we have buffalo

I'm not sure tuskless from anywhere are importable - anywhere.

It has nothing to do with the ban on ivory or elephant that the US implemented recently in respect of some countries, but rather has to do with CITES.

All elephant in Southern Africa are Appendix II, which means you need an export permit to take any part of the elephant out of the country where it was taken. And you can't get the export permit without a CITES quota allocation. It is my understanding that CITES will only issue quotas for trophy elephant. As a result, if you shoot any non-trophy elephant anywhere, you cannot get quota, and therefore cannot export. And that applies to any part of the animal, up to and including hair bracelets. So in this case, it really isn't a USFWS issue, but a CITES issue.

I could be wrong, but that's my understanding of how CITES works.

Also a tuskless hunt will be in Zimbabwe. IIRC no elephant parts can be imported in to the USA from Zimbabwe.

yep, Zimbabwe is a different critter

A DVD of the hunt you can share with family and friends! Hire a cameraman and have then edit a video for you. Worth its weight in gold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross