Travel duffle bags

At $500 plus bucks, the only way I could justify that was if I traveled a hell of a lot more than I do now. ( the pelican 1615 air)

Hank, it actually works very well for ‘dragging around’. It has a pull out handle and wheels, so is very easy to drag around. To me, one of the biggest advantages besides being nearly indestructible is NO zippers but rather a hinged kid with five latches and TWO steel reinforced locking points. It’s big enough to hold 50+ pounds of clothing & gear but small enough to handle easily. It’s no problem at all on a Cessna Caravan, which is probably the most common bush plane used across Africa. I just got back from taking it to Cameroon and it was easy to travel with.
DLSJR: I have No doubt it can hold plenty and is also very secure (Bombproof). I like hard cases for travel with some items (firearms, scopes, camera etc..) but for clothing and other gear - a Canvas type “soft side” sturdy bag that you can compress a little seems easier and can “jam it” into tighter, smaller areas of my car or Otter Plane etc.. But, you’ve had experienced and success with that bag and obviously know what your doing

I converted my suitcases years ago to Pelican cases and haven't ever looked back. However, expect that you'll find them kicked out on Oversize more often than not JUST because they are pelicans. Also, if you travel internationally expect customs to take more of an interest in you because they'll think you're bringing tools, goods or whatever in to the country and will try to get ya. It's always funny when they see it's literally just my clothes and I explain I was sick of AA ruining my bags and breaking my crap.

To be somewhat on-thread I will note that I do have a nice Orvis bag that's taken a fair amount of abuse over the years and is good to go.

I have been using the same hard bottom rolling duffle since 2018. Never any issues. Oakley brand.

Reactions: ACM
Red Oxx is great. I use them for work travel frequently. Have not flown with one. I remember Boddington saying to use a duffle if a charter flight is involved. Following…

Reactions: RLL
Patagonia Black Hole duffle bags. We have been using them for years. No issues in and out of Joberg multiple times.
They come in different sizes. I use one as my carry on and fill it with scopes and binoculars.

Another vote for the pelican air. I switched last summer.

My only complaint is that you never know if it’s going to come out with the regular bags or the cases.

V.V: that “rule” would eliminate All Canvas (soft sided) luggage - they have No ridged sides and barely a “stiff” bottom. Is this airline specific?

Actually,...
Not good for flying anymore.
Airlines will not accept them. Need to have at least one rigid side and nothing hanging to get caught in the conveyor belts.
Is correct. I saw something on one of the airlines req's, requirements, changes, whatever..... that duffle bags, packs, etc. must have one rigid side and all loose straps must be secured as to not snag on conveyors or some sort of wording.

I'll take a suitcase over a duffle anytime!! I've spent weeks living out of a large ruck (backpack) and having my dufflebag meant a "...this ain't going to be an "in and out"....but months". I digress, but...

That said. If you are definitely not bringing any souvenirs home then I could see maybe 2 senerios that it might make since to use a duffle bag.

Otherwise IMPO, forget the duffle and use a medium to large suitcase as your check bag for ammo if you are importing firearm(s).

Besides even a soft suitcase affords better protection for fragile souvenirs than a duffle.

Hank, it actually works very well for ‘dragging around’. It has a pull out handle and wheels, so is very easy to drag around. To me, one of the biggest advantages besides being nearly indestructible is NO zippers but rather a hinged kid with five latches and TWO steel reinforced locking points. It’s big enough to hold 50+ pounds of clothing & gear but small enough to handle easily. It’s no problem at all on a Cessna Caravan, which is probably the most common bush plane used across Africa. I just got back from taking it to Cameroon and it was easy to travel with.
What are the dimensions?
That looks like a very nice piece of luggage.
Hince, when I travel I always like to go souvenir shopping for myself and others back home. I think if the size was right this would be a lot more secure and better protect those fragile items I usually reserve for my carry on which limits several items I want to bring back.

Since 1986 my go-to checked luggage bag is a soft pack/duffle with padded shoulder straps that can be zipped in. It has leather bound webbing handles on top and one side with two snap buckled webbing straps around the girth. Besides the main compartment, there's also a shallow full width front compartment and a flat documents compartment on top of that. All zipper closed. Greatest piece of luggage I'll ever own. It was custom made by an ex-girlfriend's brother-in-law. I think he passed away shortly after we broke up.
16830563278891910742398558418242.jpg

Also still have my 1988 govt issue fire crew airline pack which is very similar, also with shoulder straps (not padded) that can be zipped inside. Both have traveled extensively and held up great. I appreciate the ability to convert my checked bag to a backpack, especially when no trolleys are available. My tiny late wife (4'10" & 80 lbs) was big on roller luggage (for obvious reasons) and airlines were big on busting off the wheels. I'm in my seventies and still able to shoulder a hefty backpack but I suppose those days are numbered. I am prepared for that eventuality. Two years ago I picked up a  beautiful small hard-sided wheeled and collapse handle case at Salvation Army Store for $15. It's a designer model all  leather with factory tags still attached. I didn't need any more luggage but that was too good to pass up. Almost hate to use it.

depends on where and for who long

IMG_3282.jpeg

My wife and I have been using the Pelican 1560's (50.42 linear inches) for our checked bags and 1510 (44.81 linear inches) as a carry-on. I would bet the 1560's have seen at least 100 flights with no significant damage. If we are both traveling, there are two 1560's, one of us has the 1510 carry-on and the other totes a backpack. Add in a Pelican 1700 (61.03 linear inches) for each rifle if it's a hunting trip.

If I'm traveling alone and hunting, I'll check the 1700 with the rifle in it and take the 1510 and backpack as my carry-on's. I really prefer to travel light.

Note: each of the bags stay under the linear limit for checked or carry-on travel. Almost like Pelican planned it that way. ;)

Last edited:
What are the dimensions?
That looks like a very nice piece of luggage.
Hince, when I travel I always like to go souvenir shopping for myself and others back home. I think if the size was right this would be a lot more secure and better protect those fragile items I usually reserve for my carry on which limits several items I want to bring back.
Exterior (L×W×D)
32.58 x 18.40 x 11.02 in (82.8 x 46.7 x 28 cm)

Someone said they’re $500 - NOT ACCURATE. Price is $346.00 and you can get 10% off that.

I carry a Osprey as an on-board pack. They all have shoulder and waist straps that tuck away but allow it to be useful as a backpack once the destination is reached. The new ones like Farpoint 40 have laptop compartments that can easily be accessed without taking the bag out of the overhead.

I have started using the Osprey Transporter Wheeled Duffel 120. It weighs 8.13 pounds and is lighter than most of its competitors. When I fill it up the total weight with the bag is 50 pounds. With much more it gets pretty tight. It has waterproof outside material--in a light rain you are safe.
I also have heavier, larger bags, this has become my favorite.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 7.56.43 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 7.56.43 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 7.56.16 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 7.56.16 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
I might jump in on this.

Only used to travel with a hand luggage.

How could i transport my firearm, ammo and knife?

All in one small suitcase / peli?

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EulaliaRus

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.