TIPPING

Like I said this was my first trip to Africa. I have cancer and my PH became a good friend as well as my PH. He always helped me when the going was rough including cutting me a walking stick and having one of the rangers carry my rifle on our long walks. I hunted the Caprivi and had the greatest hunt of my life. I am going back this July(if my health permits) and I have requested the same PH. Maybe I am a little "insane" but I will tip him what he deserves.
I hope your health holds and you have an even better second safari. I think you can guarantee you’ll get same PH again after the tip you gave him!
 
I hope your health holds and you have an even better second safari. I think you can guarantee you’ll get same PH again after the tip you gave him!
Thank you. I met him and his wife again at Nashville . Had a good visit and you're correct he will be my PH this July. Going to be a longer trip this time(23 days).
 
This is a subject with no correct answer....




IMO - go with Jerome's guidance. ( I probably tipped too much, but I was so happy with everything about my last safari, that I couldn't help it!)


I just pulled my PH (who did not own the company) aside and ask for his guidance on tipping.

He expected nothing, but I gave him $1,000 for 7 days hunting (he was perfect and provided exactly what I wanted)

I gave my gunbearer, who was also a PH (in training) $700. He told me that was the most he had ever been tipped.

I gave the camp cook and manager $300 each, and $100 to everyone else that helped out.



(Just this weekend, I went to a restaurant with no table service and did the electronic checkout as many American restaurants are doing now. It prompted me to give a 20% tip to someone at the counter who simply took my order. I navigated to "no tip" and choose that option. At this restaurant, I got my own drink and refills, picked up my food at a counter when my name was called. I assume that someone who worked at the restaurant picked up my plate, because there was no trash can or even a sign to tell you what to do when you were finished. Maybe the next patron, cleaned the table....

20% for pressing 4 buttons, you've got to be kidding!
My daughter played in the U19 soccer nationals last year at the ESPN facility at Disney World. Great experience, so naturally we had to get the very overpriced event sweatshirt to commemorate it. Upon checkout, their terminal had been set up for a 15% tip. For nothing other than buying a sweatshirt. Just when I’d seen everything.
 
I agree with Tally Ho on tipping the skinners(s). I've been there and done it, first one up in the morning and last one to bed at night. Always seems like the most difficult skinning jobs come in well after dark and must be done asap.
One of the things that turned me off on my last trip was being told how much to tip on a 2x1 hunt. Everyone in or near camp "needed" a tip. I believe there were 15 total!!!
 
Did you guys mostly use cards, bring a wad of cash, or maybe add it to your trophy bill and pay it once home?

Thanks.
 
IMG_2960.jpeg
 
Did you guys mostly use cards, bring a wad of cash, or maybe add it to your trophy bill and pay it once home?

Thanks.
I have always taken cash for tips.
 
This thread might turn into 60 pages too. I’ll generally tip skinner $10/day and extra depending on the situation. A camp in a safari area with 10-15 staff tips add up to $2000+ very quickly. The skinner has an important job, but he can also set his own schedule somewhat and stay at camp. I always give the guys on the truck more. A camp in South Africa where it only consists of tracker, skinner, cook, maid is a different situation.
I actually got lessons from my taxidermist on turning ears. I check my trophies at skinning shed. He said I’m only customer to ever ask for a lesson.
Do American hunters not normally turn the ears and lips themselves when caping?
 
Do American hunters not normally turn the ears and lips themselves when caping?
I don’t know any hunter that capes their own animals in Africa. Any quality outfitter will have a trained skinner in camp. In US, I’ve never had a reason to cape an animal to that extent. I’ve either delivered the cape skinned to head with horns still attached to the taxidermy or I’ve caped everything out where I could roll into a cooler or freeze to deliver to taxidermy later for them to do that. Most of our hunting is in cooler temperatures and taxidermy reasonably close.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,232
Members
169,510
Latest member
SelenaWick
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top