Tikka 25-06 Load Development

Buckles

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i am am sitting with a problem I don’t have an idea on how to solve.

i am trying to develop a load for a Tikka 25-06 that has shot well on the following load:

Sierra Game King 117grains
45 grains S365
Winchester Large Magnum Primers
PMP cases
OAL of 80mm

The reason for the lower powder load is due to the bolt jamming. It opens fine, but you have to hit the bolt open with you hand to eject the case.

Now that you cannot fine S365 anywhere, I am trying S385, but cannot get above 52 grains without the same problem. I’ve tried seating the bullet deeper, but nothing. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Do you mean the extractor jams without firing or after firing?

Do you have the same problem with factory ammo?

Have you ever lubricated the bolt, extractor and firing pin?

Oh and welcome to AH!

What Von S says. Try regular Large Rifle primers instead of the magnum primers. The magnums will create a little more pressure but aren't needed for that cartridge.
Also, looking at SOMCHEM data for S365 for a 120 grain bullet (closest to your 117 grain) they have a start load of 44.1 grains and a maximum of 48.8. 52 grains is the max for a 100 grain bullet.

Last edited:
My error, you're now using S385. In that case 52 grains is pretty close to it's max of 53 grains too. The primer change should help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg