Three Cheetahs In One Evening

Great story Professor.

Glad you got the interpretation of Cheetah to Leopard figured out. ;)

I give you a lot of credit for taking on a leopard with a .22. I would need a much larger body of water than that stream to shoot over.

The removal of the forest for an airport reminds me of a Canadian song around the same time.

"You don't know what you've got till it's gone.
They paved
paradise and put up a parking lot"
@Wheels
Thank you . I should stress that even at the age of 19 , the only reason why Joy and I dared to try using a .22 LR on cheetahs was because :
A . They were lying down .
B . There was a stream between us and I knew that they could not charge , should our experiment prove unsuccessful ( which is what actually happened with the third cheetah ) .

I believe that it is. Likely a translation issue.
@WAB
You are right .
DA00B409-3DC3-47AF-8E1F-818838CAF825.png

At late noon on the following day , we ( Joy , Mustapha and I ) drove my pickup truck into the area which is now known as Uttara . We kept going until we had reached the partially completed airstrip . It was here that we parked the truck and decided to continue the rest of the journey on foot , because the road ended here and the forest had begun . It was an incredibly dense forest , too . And the sun had just begun to set .

I carried my Laurona 12 bore sidelock ejector in my hands , which was loaded with an Eley Alphamax LG shell in the chamber of each barrel . On my ammunition belt , I had 18 extra Eley Alphamax LG shells . Joy carried his 12 bore Browning A - 5 , which was loaded with local LG shells . On his ammunition bandolier ( slung across his shoulders ) , he had 15 extra local LG shells . Mustapha carried my BRNO .22 LR bolt action rifle in his hands and was carrying the bag pack , which contained all of our remaining spare ammunition . While trekking through the forest , we came across a few sounders of huge wild boar . As I raised my Laurona 12 bore to my shoulders ( in order to commence shooting them ) , Joy stopped me . He told me that the gun shots would alert the cheetahs , which were the main reason why we were here . It was then , mutually agreed between us that we would hold our fire until we found any cheetahs .

About half an hour went by , before we were able to find the pug marks of any cheetahs . We advanced forward , until he found a small stream . Mustapha pointed at something near the stream . Initially Joy and I did not notice anything , but then Joy took a look through a pair of binoculars which were hanging from a lanyard from his neck . There , lying down on the other side of the stream ( which was roughly 100 yards away from us ) and taking a nap ; were three large cheetahs . We had found what we were looking for.

Joy and I debated about what was the best method of taking these animals out . We had two options :
A . Either we could close in on them while they were napping , and shoot them to death with our shotguns at point blank range .
Or
B . We could shoot them in the heads from the other side of the stream , with my .22 LR .

The problem with option A , was that we would be needing to cross the stream . The problem with option B , was that a 40 grain .22 calibre bullet is not much good for anything larger than a crane .

Eventually , we decided upon option B because I was confident that a well placed brain shot on the unsuspecting cheetahs with my .22 LR , would actually prove fatal . Since the animals were lying down and my .22 LR was mounted with an accurate Weaver K 5 telescopic sight ( Not too high magnification ) , I was confident that I could place my shots properly . And since the noise of a .22 LR is quite minuscule , the remaining cheetahs were unlikely be become alerted by the sounds of my gunshots .

I handed Mustapha my Laurona 12 Bore and took my BRNO .22 LR from him . Then , I sat down on the ground and raised the rifle to my shoulder . One cheetah had it’s head turned in such a manner , that it was perfect for landing a side brain shot . I cycled the bolt , held my breath , took aim at the ear hole and pulled the trigger . The nonchalant pop of the .22 LR was followed by the cheetah slumping it’s head softly to the ground , as blood began to trickle out of the ear hole . It lay motionless and very much dead . Pleasantly surprised that our theory of a brain shot with a .22 LR being capable of killing a cheetah was actually correct , Joy and I decided to take out the two other cheetahs in a similar fashion .

Joy took the BRNO .22 LR from my hands and sat down on the ground . He cycled the bolt and took careful aim at the second cheetah . This one was lying down in such a way that it was directly facing us . Thus , a frontal brain shot was the only option . Joy lined up his sights and pulled the trigger . Again , the nonchalant pop of the .22 LR was followed by blood trickling our of a neat little hole in the T zone of the cheetah .

With only one cheetah left now , I decided that I should be the one to take it out . I took my BRNO .22 LR from Joy and got ready to shoot the final cheetah . It looked larger and heavier than the other two and we were facing it from a broadside position , but I thought that it would be just as effortless to take out as the other two . Again , I took aim at the side of the cheetah’s head ; visualizing the ear hole as a target . Cycling the bolt , I held my breath and pulled the triggers.

Of course , one can only get away with doing something so foolhardy for so many times . Perhaps my aim was off by a millimeter or two . Perhaps the cheetah had moved , at the last moment . Anyway , the 40 grain .22 calibre bullet glanced off the skull of the cheetah . It suddenly leapt up in pain and locked eyes with us . Roaring angrily , it ran off into the thick foliage . Now , Joy and I started worrying about having a wounded cheetah on our hands which needed to be sorted out . It was now beginning to get dark .

View attachment 363587
Eley Rifle Club .22 LR solid ammunition owned by the author .
View attachment 363588
Female cheetah killed by the author with a side brain shot , employing a .22 LR . June 17 , 1973 .
@Professor Malwa
That was a very courageous move shooting cheetahs with a 22 long rifle but does go to show what can be accomplished (but not recommended) with the humble 22. You were fortunate to have the river between you and the final cheetah otherwise it may have been a different story. You may have been in for a world of hurt if not for the river.
Bob.
Good shooting tho

After 1973 , I know of a few more cheetahs which were shot in that part of Uttara . By 1975 however , the entire forest had completely been cut down . Hazrat Shahjalal international airport had been built , over there . Today , you will be lucky enough to find a crow ( let alone a cheetah ) in this part of Bangladesh . When I originally published my book in 1999 , many of the younger generations had an extremely difficult time believing that a 40 grain .22 calibre bullet was capable of killing a cheetah . They had an even more difficult time believing that cheetahs and wild boars once roamed in the area which is now Hazrat Shah Jalal international airport . But it happened . Ask anyone born in Bangladesh before 1973 , and they can attest to that .

On a personal note , it is understandable why the government needed to chop that forest down and eradicate all of the wildlife in order to build the country’s largest airport . However , deep down inside ; I wish that the forest still existed today . And I also must stress that a .22 LR is probably the most unsuitable calibre for tackling dangerous game ( let alone a cheetah ) . It must be remembered that at the time of this incident , I was only 19 years old and not very rational in all of my decisions . If I had to do it all over again today , then I would definitely use my .458 WM ( Winchester Magnum ) and 510 grain Winchester Super X soft nosed ammunition . Certainly nothing smaller than a 7 mm Remington Magnum and 175 grain Nosler Partition soft nosed ammunition . That said ; the incident proved to both Joy and I that a properly placed 40 grain .22 caliber bullet can definitely kill a cheetah . However , the margin for error is nonexistent .
View attachment 363591
The once vast forest of Uttara .
View attachment 363594
Laurona 12 bore ( 2 3/4 inch chamber ) sidelock ejector shotgun owned by the author .
View attachment 363595
Hazrat Shah Jalal international airport . August , 2020 .
@Professor Malwa
The joys and folly of youth. You were probably not told at that age the 22 wouldn't kill cheetahs but as you said there is absolutely no margin of error.
It reminded me of story of a young person killing a cape buffalo with a 22 hornet thru the ear,up the ear canal and into the brain. The young man was asked by his father to get some camp meat while he guided a client after cape buffalo. The young man heard a movement in the scrub, identified the ear of an animal and shot it.
He got a massive lecture from dad about how lucky he was and what could have happened because he didn't realise it was a buffalo.
You were fortunate on your shikar to have successfully get 3 cheetahs in one evening. Well done.
Bob.

Great story Professor.

Glad you got the interpretation of Cheetah to Leopard figured out. ;)

I give you a lot of credit for taking on a leopard with a .22. I would need a much larger body of water than that stream to shoot over.

The removal of the forest for an airport reminds me of a Canadian song around the same time.

"You don't know what you've got till it's gone.
They paved
paradise and put up a parking lot"
@Wheels
That is giving your age away mate listening to Joanie Mitchell. Unfortunately the destruction of land is called progress but is it really.
Bob

@Professor Malwa
That was a very courageous move shooting cheetahs with a 22 long rifle but does go to show what can be accomplished (but not recommended) with the humble 22. You were fortunate to have the river between you and the final cheetah otherwise it may have been a different story. You may have been in for a world of hurt if not for the river.
Bob.
Good shooting tho
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen
Thank you very much . Joy and I specifically decided to try taking down the cheetahs with the BRNO . 22 LR BECAUSE we knew that there was a stream between us and the Cheetahs . Otherwise , we would not have tried it at all . Also , one more thing . When I was shooting the cheetahs with the .22 LR , I was having Joy stay right beside me with his 12 bore FN Browning A-5 semi automatic shotgun which was loaded with local LG shells . When Joy was shooting the cheetahs with the .22 LR , I was staying right beside him with my Laurona 12 bore sidelock ejector which was loaded with Eley Alphamax LG shells . This was necessary precautionary measure , in case any of the wounded cheetahs decided to charge at us by crossing the shallow part of the stream .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChauChilds

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you