Thoughts on type of camps

@Tokoloshe Safaris has the best quality tent camp I've seen in Africa. Maybe he'll post pictures as a point of discussion of pros/cons for others.

Fly camp, on stone foundation, with on-suite shower and toilet. Fly camp "palapa" hut for dining room. It's pretty righteous.

My comments might not quite be on point with this discussion but I wanted to give the perspective of my family while traveling to South Africa. I grew up in South Africa and got used to the cold during the winters. My family and I now live in Wyoming were it is much colder. It was -15F or -26C last night. However inside my house it was 71F or 21C. Very comfortable. When I took my family to Africa in June of 2022. We had a great time. Most of the days it very nice and comfortable but at night they were very uncomfortable regarding how cold it was inside the chalets. If I were going to be designing a new camp I would want to see what possible changes could be made so that the indoors could be temp controlled. Just my two cents.

My comments might not quite be on point with this discussion but I wanted to give the perspective of my family while traveling to South Africa. I grew up in South Africa and got used to the cold during the winters. My family and I now live in Wyoming were it is much colder. It was -15F or -26C last night. However inside my house it was 71F or 21C. Very comfortable. When I took my family to Africa in June of 2022. We had a great time. Most of the days it very nice and comfortable but at night they were very uncomfortable regarding how cold it was inside the chalets. If I were going to be designing a new camp I would want to see what possible changes could be made so that the indoors could be temp controlled. Just my two cents.
Where did you go? What was the camp like? Most areas in SA do not require temp control during the winter.
My best always.
Jaco

I've been in a couple camps that had heat. In fact my first experience in the Eastern Cape was a chalet with AC, it's own gas water heater, and a little wood stove. It was hot during the day and the AC was nice to relax in while the PH took his nap... most nights were fine but a couple I lit the stove to take the chill off;)

A couple others in SA had the combo ac and electric heat similar to a hotel room. Worked pretty good as at that time there was minimal load shedding.

@Royal and I stayed in an old wall tent that had a much needed wood stove up in the mountains on an elk hunt in Idaho.

One thing for some that have yet to go to Africa and comparing costs to AK etc., the biggest cost for an outfitter outside of RSA are the concession fees that can run into 6 figures plus. Not something the AK outfitters need to worry about. Then you have the quota fees that need to be paid. Add to that the anti-poaching patrols, community projects, marketing in the USA and Europe etc., etc. and the cost of providing accommodations becomes miniscule compared to all the other costs.

In my personal experience only once I have ever shared a camp with someone else. So, you literally have a staff of 9 or so catering to one's needs all of whom still get a salary.

This coming October at Kazuma forestry area I will be the only client at camp. I already have requested which cook from CMS staff I would like to have cooking for me. ;)

For all the folks saying that they prefer a pup tent,10 days worth of Mountain House Freeze Dried Food, and no shower. Please don't walk up to the camp and expect to sit your smelly ass next to me at the dinner table. That freeze dried streak in your underwear is gonna get pretty ripe after 10 days in the 95° heat! LOL!!!
Sorry....couldn't resist.
@TOBY458
It needed to be said :E Laugh:

When I was in SA it was cold at night in the room. They had heated mattress covers which made it fine to sleep. I am what they refer to here up north as a “freeze baby” or “cold baby”. The young girl that worked in camp would turn my mattress heater on whilst I was having supper. Good point in your post! (y)

In some tented camps over the years it has been a nice surprise to discover hot water bags under the covers on chilly nights.

Chocolate on the pillow and a fur covered hot water bottle tucked under the covers while we were having supper And plenty of heavy blankets.
Limpopo hunt.
BFD8E991-816C-4AD7-963E-AC901EC8384F.jpeg

I generally enjoy a "tent" camp most of them are permanent on concrete foundations. On my FIRST safari the second night in camp we were staying in permanent floor chalets with thatched roofs. There was a 1/2 wall out of stone and concrete with a wooden door locked by a turning piece of wood. The resident male lion was making his rounds through camp and decided to rub on my door. I was holding the door shut as tightly as I could with all my weight, gripping my sheath knife and praying for the hinges and latch to hold. I got almost no sleep that night or any other and didn't tell the Mrs until years later. I will gladly trade the "housekeeping" critters that come around, it's the big ones that bother me.

I generally enjoy a "tent" camp most of them are permanent on concrete foundations. On my FIRST safari the second night in camp we were staying in permanent floor chalets with thatched roofs. There was a 1/2 wall out of stone and concrete with a wooden door locked by a turning piece of wood. The resident male lion was making his rounds through camp and decided to rub on my door. I was holding the door shut as tightly as I could with all my weight, gripping my sheath knife and praying for the hinges and latch to hold. I got almost no sleep that night or any other and didn't tell the Mrs until years later. I will gladly trade the "housekeeping" critters that come around, it's the big ones that bother me.
He just wanted a kitty treat. If you had fed him, he would've left you alone. Lol!

Uh, where was your now loaded rifle?

Uh, where was your now loaded rifle?
P.H, had a camp rule that all rifles were unloaded and in Dining area in rack. Still does today. People (clients) are much more dangerous than the wildlife.

I'm fine as long as I have a dry bed and wet shower. Shower can be community type or ensuite, makes no difference. Add a comfortable chair around the boma fire and I'll just permanently retire at that camp. Some of the most enjoyable trips have been in camps where you hear the leopards sawing as they pass by or the dish rattling roars of a lion cruising the skinning shed or elephants tiptoeing around at night or bush babies dropping twigs on your tent... Mostly I've stayed in small thatched chalets or tents and can only remember a couple of times in what could be called a modern lodge. Almost without exception the food has been tops. Amazing how many bush cooks are really master chefs who do wonders using charcoal in the most primitive of stoves and ovens. Yep, that's it- dry bed, wet warm shower, boma fire, good food and strong local filter coffee.

Last edited:
But I’m certain that’s what keeps guys like me from trying africa. They think half their money is going to fancy stuff and service they don’t want.

I call BS on this, maybe not you imparticular but others who make this excuse. There is always some type of excuse. I can't bring the meat back, the flight is too long, it is too expensive. There are offers on here that are cheaper than NR Wyoming Special Draw elk tag. Then it is taxidermy or rifle permits or something else.

If anyone wants a true DIY African hunting adventure, just go to Burkina Faso, no camps, no PHs, no license, no rules and no laws.

Look....thatched roof, thats roughing it in Free State, RSA!!! Good nights sleep, chef prepared breakfast, we loaded up and headed out. Had a Black Wildebeest Bull, 30+ inch waterbuck and a springbuck by noon. We were a little late getting back to the lodge for lunch, chef was not too upset with us though! :p
20220821_020930.jpg
20220821_020852.jpg

I call BS on this, maybe not you imparticular but others who make this excuse. There is always some type of excuse. I can't bring the meat back, the flight is too long, it is too expensive. There are offers on here that are cheaper than NR Wyoming Special Draw elk tag. Then it is taxidermy or rifle permits or something else.

If anyone wants a true DIY African hunting adventure, just go to Burkina Faso, no camps, no PHs, no license, no rules and no laws.
I wouldn’t argue with that. But not being able to bring meat back does hurt. Where do I go to find a African hunt under $1200? Is it inside a tall fence over a feed trough?

I'm told that Tetse flies are attracted to the color blue.

Biting flies here in the U.S. sure are so I wouldn't be surprised. I got destroyed by deer flies one day while wearing a long sleeve blue shirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marplot

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois