Thoughts on type of camps

Here are a few pics of my tent in Nyakasanga. One cost people do not realize is the whole camp including the water tank, piping for toilets etc. has to be disassembled at the end of the season and literally no footprints left per concession rules in this case. Of course, they have to set it all up at the start of the season.

Part of the reason that in Zimbabwe setting up a camp like this is part of the final exam for PH certification.

This camp did meet @Kevin Peacocke 's requirements though.

1675091579346.png

1675091595123.png

1675091622371.png

Guys thanks for some great feedback so far.

I want to try and stayed focused on my question about the camp. I am in SA so for sure I can not make it like zim or moz as far as all the big 5 wildlife they have. I want to give the client who can only afford SA the best hunt I can for them. Some seem to get off topic rather easily.

A tented camp in SA will still more then likely be a step above your typical united states tented hunting camp. I am trying to figure out that part of what is to much or not enough for the camp.
I've stayed in tents in Zimbabwe which was an elephant spike camp. It had a permanent shared bathroom/shower concrete block building. A thatched dining room and separate kitchen. Tents were on concrete but with canvas floor. They had the fly cover installed at least a meter above the tent roof. Which seemed to help keep it cooler. This was a pretty decent setup except for the shared restroom across camp. They had a water tower filled with a sump pump and generator that ran a couple times per day.hot water from what I think you in RSA call a "donkey"?

Then again in Mozambique where it was a single main camp and combo of thatched buildings (roof and walls) and a couple tents for clients. These had the fly cover installed the way the tent was designed just a bit above the roof and it was like a greenhouse in that damned thing. It had an on suite bathroom/shower. But water tank on top that had to be filled with a ladder and bucket. You had to order hot water for a shower and it took a while. This camp was not run as well as either of the others but was in a beautiful wilderness area as they all were. Had ants take over the bathroom one night and I walked through them in the dark and drug them into bed.... and the zipper was worn out on the tent. It was buggy and miserable. But with a bit of management it could have been better. They were to busy drinking to do that....

The 3rd was in Tanzania and very top shelf. Professionally operated. We got in trouble for helping ourselves to coffee because the butler took offense ;) And this camp site was very well chosen at high elevation out of the heat and bugs. On Suite of course. Coffee with wake up each morning and things in camp just improved from there as the day went on.

All had concrete platforms but the canvas tent floor.

If you do this, I see it as a real spike camp that gets moved so level some ground and set up low end. Or makecit semi permanent, pour concrete, set up a water system, dining hall, etc.

Definitely do not set this up were one can hear traffic or even any public. If you are in that situation, stay with a lodge type arrangement.

Also keep in mind flying biting insects and heat and humidity, especially if a more permanent location. Well worth the effort to get the fly cover raised to allow good airflow or even put a thatched roof over it.

Here are a few pics of my tent in Nyakasanga. One cost people do not realize is the whole camp including the water tank, piping for toilets etc. has to be disassembled at the end of the season and literally no footprints left per concession rules in this case. Of course, they have to set it all up at the start of the season.

Part of the reason that in Zimbabwe setting up a camp like this is part of the final exam for PH certification.

This camp did meet @Kevin Peacocke 's requirements though.

View attachment 514096

View attachment 514097

View attachment 514099
That'll do donkey, that'll do!

Basic for me

Remote
Close to the ground
Camp fire
You can stick yer shower where the sun don't shine - not for everyone but warm water and a bucket overhead for washing and a slit trench for the unmentionables - composting or drop toilet if your going for luxury

This was a camp I designed in order to run conservation courses - so geared for 12 or so people - scale down for a party of 3 or 4

Not for everyone I grant you

camp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
i do believe all this can add to the experience, i guess

but for me the memories are about who you shared the experience with and what went down

not what type of glass you drank out of or the colour of the chairs

life is made up of moments/memories. 'things' dont contribute to this for me. people do and what happened do.

if you own a $300 rifle or $30 000 double,
wearing plain khaki or kuiu camo
walking in courtneys or some old trainers

does it change the "moment/experience" of hunting an animal under the blistering hot african sun? ...... Not for me

regards
I agree in spirit but camo in Africa is a step too far!!

But with a bit of management it could have been better.
Very politely said!

A PH Outfitter is a business. Much like a restaurant to remain in business the owner must have or be more than a great chef, they must also have good people skills, and able to manage the business! Lacking of any of these and the customers do not return.

@Kevin Peacocke

7. No blue anywhere, or plastic
8. White or cream crockery, no colours

Ok, I understand the "plastic" to some degree- utensils I assume. I'm not sure if I understand "blue" as it it is written I assume it's not bc of a color but must mean something else.
The cooking pans must be white ?

Are all these things from the 1800 type safaris ?

Tent camp in Africa I have never done. But will someday.
But we prefer a thatched roof ,rustic type place.
In Namibia we hunted a great place with a wonderful ambiance, fire pit, brii etc.
It was all low fence property and we had a wonderful time. Cooking done every night outside and we also ate in an open lodge. We later hunted Namibia at another place and it was just a farm house. No character at all and a bit of a let down to me. So we try to stay with outfitters that have such places instead of just a house.

100_0584.JPG

100_0566.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

Love it !!! Been 13 years since Namibia, need to go back !!
But we do prefer this type of setting.

I've only been once, so my experience is limited. I stayed in a kind of tent I guess, it had a solid floor and thatched roof but soft tent sides, in RSA. I liked it but there were a lot of creepy crawlers , a monitor lizard and at least two snakes made their way under the tent sides. I didn't mind a bit ( when in Rome) , but I can just imagine if I took my wife. She wouldn't have been able to sleep one night on the property after that lol. I will point out though, the camp was right on the river so we saw several snakes almost daily. I am generally pretty scared of snakes or even sticks that look a lot like a snake but definitely enjoyed the experience. There was a decent bed , shower, and tub so it was all I needed. It would have definitely been a no go if my old lady was on the trip lol . The thing I liked the most was being the only one in camp , it definitely felt like I was the number one priority for ten days. Good thread, lots of stuff I never thought of being brought up.

@Kevin Peacocke

Ok, I understand the "plastic" to some degree- utensils I assume. I'm not sure if I understand "blue" as it it is written I assume it's not bc of a color but must mean something else.

BW, yes, that's the sort of thing. Don't take too much notice of me, I am a bit eccentric and a little loopy.

Yes sir, I understand the guide/PH is required by law and there’s no getting around that. I guess what I was trying to say is that I think there’s a fair amount of people that would like the most stripped down self sufficient African experience they can legally get. Myself included. As long as the price was fairly adjusted for it.
Interesting... Keep in mind that only in SA will the pricing be adjusted to suit the "lodging" In most wild areas one needs to consider the logistics in getting camps supplied with what is needed and that day rates are mostly based on licenses purchased from government, and the logistics involved with regards to operating a wilderness area.

With that said, Lex, I believe a tented safari camp could be a great idea, I don't believe it makes a difference in the authenticity (in the literal sense of the word) of a Safari, as that'll be mostly area, size, abundance of DG etc. dependent, but if nothing else it will create a great atmosphere and will create the impression that you are closer to nature.

Great thread. A bit late I know, but great nonetheless.

My best, Jaco

I want to get some feedback on what guys would like in a camp and if a tent camp would be what some want. I know some like the standard SA outfitter camps the typical 3 to 5 star camps

I have seen plenty of guys say they do not always want fancy. Would a tent camp like you typically get in zim or moz be something guys would like in SA. Would still be a nice clean camp but a more roughing style look and feel.

So lets hear what are ah members would like.

I'm going to be honest with you. I'm deathly afraid of snakes and spiders when I can't see them but know they could be there. I did a tent camp in Zambia 2021 along the Luangwa river. It WAS NOT what I'm accustomed to. I'm headed back to Zambia next year but in a cottage camp on the river. We know a wife that went on a tent camp hunt in SA & was bitten by some type of spider on the face while sleeping. It was horrible & she had to be taken to the hospital for several days treatment.

My kids are 13 and 12. I think I owe it to them to be as safe as possible while enjoying my sport. My PH was a very nice guy the hosts and trackers were gracious. The food was excellent and we connected on everything except a leopard and croc the size I was looking for.

But my PH told me in the tents it could be a cobra or puffader come in while were out hunting. Just check every evening before you go to bed. He said nothing about spiders. Sure enough I had some type of critter insect in there every night for 2 weeks. I moved my bed one night and it was like a 7 in centipede huge. That was the snake insect deal.

I stayed 14 days. About 7 nights of the 14 I couldn't get a good nights rest. 4 nights in a row I had 2 male lions basically within 20 yards of my tent. They roared for HOURS. They came in about 2 am and just roared toward other lions across the river. It got so bad 2 nights I sat up got on the phone with my wife and loaded my gun and just waited for them to leave. That particular night I really thought they were coming through that tent.

Then the hippos coming up from the river to graze on the grass right at my tent.

So its really up to you how you want to hunt. Personally that's not my thing being exposed to wild animals while I'm trying to sleep. After walking a few miles to stalk buffalo, zebras hanging leopard bait ect I want a great nights sleep without worry about some poisonous biting me and killing me in a tent or a hippo crashing into it while I'm trying to sleep. I know it can still happen in a cottage but I'd just rather take my chances with that.

My wife is a tough girl from Oklahoma but she's having none of the tent camp hunts.

MY SA hunts were in lodges no problem.

Last edited:
@Kevin Peacocke

I'm told that Tetse flies are attracted to the color blue.

I'm going to be honest with you. I'm deathly afraid of snakes and spiders when I can't see them but know they could be there. I did a tent camp in Zambia 2021 along the Luangwa river. It WAS NOT what I'm accustomed to. I'm headed back to Zambia next year but in a cottage camp on the river. We know a wife that went on a tent camp hunt in SA & was bitten by some type of spider on the face while sleeping. It was horrible & she had to be taken to the hospital for several days treatment.

My kids are 13 and 12. I think I owe it to them to be as safe as possible while enjoying my sport. My PH was a very nice guy the hosts and trackers were gracious. The food was excellent and we connected on everything except a leopard and croc the size I was looking for.

But my PH told me in the tents it could be a cobra or puffader come in while were out hunting. Just check every evening before you go to bed. He said nothing about spiders. Sure enough I had some type of critter insect in there every night for 2 weeks. I moved my bed one night and it was like a 7 in centipede huge. That was the snake insect deal.

I stayed 14 days. About 7 nights of the 14 I couldn't get a good nights rest. 4 nights in a row I had 2 male lions basically within 20 yards of my tent. They roared for HOURS. They came in about 2 am and just roared toward other lions across the river. It got so bad 2 nights I sat up got on the phone with my wife and loaded my gun and just waited for them to leave. That particular night I really thought they were coming through that tent.

Then the hippos coming up from the river to graze on the grass right at my tent.

So its really up to you how you want to hunt. Personally that's not my thing being exposed to wild animals while I'm trying to sleep. After walking a few miles to stalk buffalo, zebras hanging leopard bait ect I want a great nights sleep without worry about some poisonous biting me and killing me in a tent or a hippo crashing into it while I'm trying to sleep. I know it can still happen in a cottage but I'd just rather take my chances with that.

My wife is a tough girl from Oklahoma but she's having none of the tent camp hunts.

MY SA hunts were in lodges no problem.
Oh dear Obi, you sure got a full dose of Africa! I must say I want my tent to zip tightly closed, and always check under the bed before you go to sleep. And always empty your boots or slippers.

Interesting... Keep in mind that only in SA will the pricing be adjusted to suit the "lodging" In most wild areas one needs to consider the logistics in getting camps supplied with what is needed and that day rates are mostly based on licenses purchased from government, and the logistics involved with regards to operating a wilderness area.

With that said, Lex, I believe a tented safari camp could be a great idea, I don't believe it makes a difference in the authenticity (in the literal sense of the word) of a Safari, as that'll be mostly area, size, abundance of DG etc. dependent, but if nothing else it will create a great atmosphere and will create the impression that you are closer to nature.

Great thread. A bit late I know, but great nonetheless.

My best, Jaco
Thanks for the info. These are things I’m not aware of. All I’m familiar with is how pricing is structured over here in the states. For example, estimates of different options to hunt moose in AK
Guided with upper end camp: 30K
Guided with their tent and gear: 20k
Unguided drop with gear provided: 10K
Unguided provide your own gear: 7k
The less service provided the cheaper the price. Seems reasonable to me. I’m learning that’s not quite how things work in Africa. It’s strange to me but it’s got it’s reasons and I’m not out to change it. Like I said, I’m here to learn.

But I’m certain that’s what keeps guys like me from trying africa. They think half their money is going to fancy stuff and service they don’t want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross