thoughts on the Browning X-bolt Medallion?

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
as many of you know my dad is still hunting for a left handed rifle for PG next year. I managed to convince him the 30-06 is a better choice then the 308 but sadly we still cant find a suitable gun for him. we decided on the Sako Hunter LH but found all the vendors are out of stock with no idea when they would get more.

ive managed to find a handful of other rifles such as a Tikka, Ruger 77, Browning X-bolt, and a Remington CDL. all of these can be found in 30-06 and left handed. however most of them (except the CDL which is the deluxe model) are a little to plain for his taste.

so I'm looking at the X-bolt medallion, its a fairly attractive rifle. my question is, how does it perform?

please share your experience with the Browning X-bolt.

thank you
-Matt

Mart,
I had the x-bolt 30-06 in the composite stalker for a while. Although I found that accuracy was pretty good straight from the box with factory (180 gr core lokts) generally the feel and construction do not match that of the a-bolt. In addition although relatively smooth the x-bolt trigger seems cheap and a little tinny. As a result I sold the x-bolt and kept the a-bolt.

Matt, I also prefer the A bolts , I find them the most accurate out if the box rifles that I have shot

I am really fond of the A bolt synthetics for PG , they are lightweight and very accurate and excellent value for money .

I own & love the Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 30-06. It is awesome. light, trigger is superb. Very accurate! I smoked 9 PG animals in my trip back in May. I used 168gr TTSX. All very rapid kills.... From Kuda, gemsbok, zebra, black & blue wildebeest, springbok, blesbok, impala, warthog.... No problems. Perfect!

Matt,
I have an X-Bolt, although it is in a mouse gun(243 Win) caliber. It shoots great, trigger is not bad for a factory trigger. I do not like the position of the magazine release, I am a believer in Murphy's Law and I think that losing a magazine while in the thick bush could happen, have I had it happen? No, but it is one thing that I think about as I look at overall design of a firearm. I have an A-Bolt in 375HH that I love.
Place a call to Collectors Firearms in Houston, last time I was in there I believe they had a couple lefty Sako rifles on the shelf. 877-214-9327

Matt,
I have an X-Bolt, although it is in a mouse gun(243 Win) caliber. It shoots great, trigger is not bad for a factory trigger. I do not like the position of the magazine release, I am a believer in Murphy's Law and I think that losing a magazine while in the thick bush could happen, have I had it happen? No, but it is one thing that I think about as I look at overall design of a firearm. I have an A-Bolt in 375HH that I love.
Place a call to Collectors Firearms in Houston, last time I was in there I believe they had a couple lefty Sako rifles on the shelf. 877-214-9327

Bullthrower338,

I know very little to nothing about Browning X-Bolt and/or A-Bolt rifles but, I am +1 with you for sure on Murphy's Law & removable magazines .

What little I do know about today's Browning products is that their quality control is very good.

Matt85,

Some time back, I had mentioned the Ruger single shot as an option for lefties but I forgot about the Browning Hi-Wall in .30-06 as a possible option.

Browning's single shots, based on the Winchester 1885 Models, appear to be excellent rifles as well, but they need to be re-finished to cut the mirror bright glare and flash.

If your dad wants a better looking rifle for this safari, perhaps he could get the Ruger Model 77 and then invest in a super fancy grade/grain English, Turkish or French walnut stock ?

Fully inletted/drop-in ones might be available for such a common and prolific rifle as the 77.

Also, rest assured that you have the right kind of Father.

My old Pops was not a bad sort, he just wasn't interested in guns or hunting and/or sport fishing.

His definition of enjoying the great outdoors was to sail boats, play tennis and play golf.

I'd rather bang my head on the sidewalk than to chase a ball around but, the sailing was pleasant because I could man the tiller and simultaneously tend my fishing rod, while he fiddled around with the ropes and sails, etc.

No matter what rifle he ends up with, even the PH's spare, you guys are going to have a huge time.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

it doesn't appear they make the A-bolt in any thing but 7mm RM and 300 WM any more. they also aren't available as left handed.

thanks for the heads up bullthrower338, I gave them a call but no luck.

-matt

Last edited:
it doesn't appear they make the A-bolt in any thing but 7mm RM and 300 WM any more. they also aren't available as left handed.

-matt
I haven't been in there for a while, there is a nice Sako 75 '06 used on gunbroker right now, lefty! I don't know what is a good price on them though.

I like Velo Dog's idea a lot. But my experiences with Browning have been super positive. They seem to be super accurate.

I like Velo Dog's idea a lot. But my experiences with Browning have been super positive. They seem to be super accurate.
I have had good luck with them myself, only one that I ever had trouble with was an A-Bolt Eclipse in 22-250, it had that BOSS system on it and I guess I could never get the Yin to line up with the Yang and it wouldn't hardly get inside an inch at 100. traded a guy that had to have that gun for a Ruger Varmint in 220 swift. I guess he either got it to shoot or was happy with it cuz I never heard back from him. I still got the swift.

Well the Ruger Varmit to me is a premier gun too, I almost bought a 220 Swift but then bought a 22-250 that shoots dime groups at 100 yds.

Well the Ruger Varmit to me is a premier gun too, I almost bought a 220 Swift but then bought a 22-250 that shoots dime groups at 100 yds.
I'd like to have one in a 250 also. They are great rifles!

i could try to convince him to go with a Ruger #1 in 30-06 but it doesnt look like they make them any more, hes not looking for a used rifle.

-matt

Matt,

I have always enjoyed Browning. I seriously considered that xbolt medallion but went with the ABolt in 30-06. Looked at it again as a part of my 375 fantasy: Bullrhrower338, did you modify your ABolt in 375 at all? Is the weight ok for the caliber?

I also use a browning shotgun and, like the Abolt, it handles beautifully.

I am sure you will be happy with it.

I have always enjoyed Browning. I seriously considered that xbolt medallion but went with the ABolt in 30-06. Looked at it again as a part of my 375 fantasy: Bullrhrower338, did you modify your ABolt in 375 at all? Is the weight ok for the caliber?

I also use a browning shotgun and, like the Abolt, it handles beautifully.

I am sure you will be happy with it.
I have not done a thing to my 375 besides put a scope on top and feed it. It is more of a Sunday gun to me than a working rifle. Way to pretty to beat around the bush with. I would say that it may be a little on the light side for its clambering but it is not punishing by any means.

I have the browning a-bolt in matte stainless as my .375. Absolute tackdriver out to 200 yds. Probably even more but haven't even tried further. Actually should call it a sledgehammer.

i could try to convince him to go with a Ruger #1 in 30-06 but it doesnt look like they make them any more, hes not looking for a used rifle.

-matt

Matt85,

Guess I've been going along in blissful ignorance, with my head up my exhaust pipe.
I had no idea Ruger had quit making the two very best rifles that they ever produced.

Recently I read they had quit making their M-77 Magnum in .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .458 Lott awhile back.
Now right here/today, I discover they've also at some stage, quit making their No-1 Single Shot in all the many diversified calibers that were once it's glory.

The Mauser Werke has not made Model 98s for many years now either.
Evidently the world truly has gone mad, it's not just a saying any more.

As for your Dad being opposed to a 2nd hand rifle, it seems like I read somewhere that CZ was either making or planning to make some left handed Model 550s.
I really like their original 550s but had very bad luck with one of their so called "Custom Shop" rifles as described in other threads, as you already know.

Somewhere out there is the proper rifle for your father and he will be united with it soon no doubt.

Regards,
Velo Dog.

Matt,
Does Cooper of Montana offer a lefty? That Jackson Game Rifle is a sexy lil thing in their model 52. Dammit, now I'm needing one of them now!

-matt

I have been shooting since childhood and am both left handed and left eye dominant. As scary as it sounds I can't use a lefty bolt to save my life, all of mine are right handed. When you are 15% of the population you learn to adapt. BTW way easier to sell a right handed gun of bow.

my $0.02

Matt,
Stumbled upon this thread and saw that you said you have an A bolt in .375 h&h. How is the weight of the A bolt for that caliber?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg